Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deliverance come to an end

Go down 
+12
kmorg
Shawn Of Fire
Glenn Rogers
Lurideath
ProgDoom
Temple of Blood
Sole Survivor
exact33
mlotek
Troublezone
ultmetal
metalhead777
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Deliverance come to an end Empty
PostSubject: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Didn't believe it when I first saw it, but multiple Christian metal sites have confirmed
"On May 20, 2011 Mike Phillips announced that Deliverance was finally coming to end and would be performing their final show in August 2011"

Sad to see what was one of my old, teen favorite thrash bands go.

EDIT: Here is the full quote from Mike himself. Posted on the Christian Metal Realm forum
"Greetings to all fans of the Big "D"... We have a bitter/sweet message for you all...

After much thought and discussion Jimmy P. Brown II (Founding Member of Deliverance) has decided to bring a close once and for all to the band we all know and love as Deliverance! Jimmy feels at this time that it would be best for all of us if we bring this to an official close rather than simply fade away into obscurity. All the members of Deliverance have families and work commitments which make it hard to book shows and try to adhere to recording commitments, etc...

There is a great deal of peace in our hearts about this decision. No bitter disagreements, no tragic demise or anything of the sort. We all remain very good friends! I think we all wish we could time warp 20 years and maybe it would be different, however it is what it is...

As Jimmy said to me "Deliverance had its day" and a darn good one! I feel extremely privileged to have been a part of one of the Titans in Christian Metal! Jimmy and I will continue working together on various projects but the Deliverance chapter is closed, and the final writ finally put into the "Book Ends"...

As I said it is bitter/sweet, but we know this is the right thing for all of us involved.

The Godzfest show on 8/22 in Florida will be our final show ever! The cool thing is we will have a special treat for you all that attend:

The lineup will be:

Jimmy P. Brown II - vox/guitar
Michael Phillips - lead & rhythm guitar/backing vox
George Ochoa - lead & rhythm guitar/backing vox
Jim Chaffin - drums
Tim Kronyak - bass

This will mark the reunion of Jimmy and George will be on stage together for a Full Deliverance Set in 20 years!

We are very excited about this last concert, and hope many of you will join us for this momentous occasion in Christian Metal History...

Much Love from the Big "D"..."
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Deliverance hasn't really been a band for a long time. Jimmy isn't really into the speed metal thing anymore and prefers to do his new band.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 am

Weapons prt 2 would've been the better way to end it. He has the rest of his life to play his new style. Oh well, that's the way it goes...
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 am

Didn't someone post here that they canned a recorded / finished album ?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am

Troublezone wrote:
Weapons prt 2 would've been the better way to end it. He has the rest of his life to play his new style. Oh well, that's the way it goes...

He's been playing and releasing albums with his Jupiter VI and Fearful Symmetry for years, with little fane-fare. Why should he go back and do a Weapons Pt. 2 if it's not in his blood?

I love Deliverance. They have long been one of my favorite bands. Saw them live a few times in their heyday. I'm actually friends with a lot of the current and former members. Ultimatum performed with them in California a couple summers ago and they were just going through the motions. Jimmy wasn't singing half the words and hadn't practiced with the band for the performance. They were sloppy. Their next show in Europe, Jimmy wasn't even there. However, his other band Jupiter VI were tight and Jimmy was enjoying himself on stage. It's obviously time to move on.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

I think it was a good idea to move on to what he enjoys doing.

Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

exact33 wrote:
I think it was a good idea to move on to what he enjoys doing.

I agree.

Doing something just for handfull of fans or more because of the nostalgia is not propably very satisfying.

I have the first Jupiter VI album but it has been pretty quiet since then. There is hardly info on the net. Does anyone have any data of their doings lately?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

The choice that many legacy artists (not just DELIVERANCE) have to make is:

1. Do you want to record/play music that you want to play for 1/50th the fanbase that you are used to?

or

2. Give the fans what they want, even if you have to try to remember what inspired you to play this way to begin with.

It's a difficult decision.

Kinda like how Bruce left IRON MAIDEN because he was so bored with their musical cliches but then came back because he was tired of playing clubs. People have different motivations for playing music.
Back to top Go down
ProgDoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
ProgDoom

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 pm

They'd better come to Ohio!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm

From a musicians standpoint, I can see why he shut it down. If your heart is not into it, then neither will anything else. No soul, no caring, nothing. He changed direction a few times and to me his heart just wasn't there anymore. The fans want a Weapons Prt 2 and I just don't think he wants that.

From a fan's viewpoint, its kind of a bummer. I was one that wanted a Weapons 2 or a new album like the debut. I could care less who is in the band and who isn't... i just liked their aggressive take on playing melodic type speed metal.

I was lucky to see Deliverance well over 20 times back in the 80's and early 90's and it was great!!! I'll never forget that era! I became real good friends with Jimmy while he lived here in Vegas and he is definitely a great guy!
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 pm

It would have been cool if everyone who played in the band got to get up on stage and say goodbye...Oh well...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Quote :
Why should he go back and do a Weapons Pt. 2 if it's not in his blood?

He could do it for the real diehard fans that stuck by him, even when he strayed off in other directions. And i'm just talking about one last studio album (no tour). He wouldn't have to play it live and be miserable...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Quote :

Doing something just for handfull of fans or more because of the nostalgia is not propably very satisfying.

Chances are... "the handful of fans" outnumber what fans he has now for his current project.

Fans love nostalgia. Coroner said they would never reunite, but they did and there may be a possible new album in the future.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The choice that many legacy artists (not just DELIVERANCE) have to make is:

1. Do you want to record/play music that you want to play for 1/50th the fanbase that you are used to?

or

2. Give the fans what they want, even if you have to try to remember what inspired you to play this way to begin with.

It's a difficult decision.

Kinda like how Bruce left IRON MAIDEN because he was so bored with their musical cliches but then came back because he was tired of playing clubs. People have different motivations for playing music.

Well said. He could always do the (alternative music) he loves on the side.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I would even be happy to hear that unreleased material called (The Annals of Subterfuge)...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

He could do it for the real diehard fans that stuck by him, even when he strayed off in other directions.

If he's going to spend his own money to record an album that hardly anyone will actually buy (ie. flush money down the toilet) he might as well record what makes him happy.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

He could do it for the real diehard fans that stuck by him, even when he strayed off in other directions.

If he's going to spend his own money to record an album that hardly anyone will actually buy (ie. flush money down the toilet) he might as well record what makes him happy.

Or do that thing Tourniquet did... (where the fans fund the project)
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm

I am glad to see him go out and do something different. To me the last couple D albums were a different band so it is nice to leave that legacy alone and do something under a different name.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:52 pm

The fact that a new album was announced, and at that a return to heavier music, and then it is all descarded (sp?), that is irritating to me. They couød have gone AFTER the new album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Ah well. I hadn't really been tuned into what "D" was doing for quite some time now. The ASSIMILATION album ('01) was the last one I bothered with. What little I heard from AS ABOVE SO BELOW a few years ago didn't do much for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Ah well. I hadn't really been tuned into what "D" was doing for quite some time now. The ASSIMILATION album ('01) was the last one I bothered with. What little I heard from AS ABOVE SO BELOW a few years ago didn't do much for me.

AASB didn't do anything for me either - listen to it once and it was shelved.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:45 pm

By the way...if this announcement was made in May of 2011, why is it only being brought up here now??

Just curious.... surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:07 pm

kmorg wrote:
The fact that a new album was announced, and at that a return to heavier music, and then it is all descarded (sp?), that is irritating to me. They couød have gone AFTER the new album.

+1
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:41 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

AASB didn't do anything for me either - listen to it once and it was shelved.

same for me. I have enjoyed the re-rereleases...

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
By the way...if this announcement was made in May of 2011, why is it only being brought up here now??

Just curious.... surprised

Some people have slow reaction? surprised

I dunno. I read all about this over at the CMR in May/June. I guess Jimmy ws so upset with the new album cover for "What A Joke" he'd rather see the band dead then be affiliated with that!

lol!

PostSubject: Re: Deliverance come to an end   Deliverance come to an end Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deliverance come to an end
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: