Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Got A Job...Sort Of

Go down 
+7
kmorg
mc666
James B.
exact33
tohostudios
DallasBlack
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

I Got A Job...Sort Of Empty
PostSubject: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Had an interview for a temp-to-hire job yesterday and was told I would be called if hired. This morning, I got a call about a warehouse job M-F 8-5 at $9.80/hour (thinking it was a temp-to-hire and it paid $.08 more. I accepted and then found out a few mintues later that it was only for one week. However, I was assured that if I worked out, it would become permanently. I was told that if I got the other job, I could leave this one but now I have my doubts. When I got there there was a warehouse with about 5 people just standing shooting the breeze (they were not on lunch). I was asigned to move boxes from one pallet to another and started to work my fanny off to make a good impression but soon got winded (after all, I've been almost stationary for 3 months).

I was soon joined by another temp worker and was informed that I should not be hoping for permanent work. He's been assigned to this warehouse in the past and it was only for a week or so and almost everybody there were temp workers as well. I found out the reason why most people were spending most of the time hanging around is because there is really so little work that there is no need to work to hard. I was told that if you do work your butt off you will be told to slow down and take your time. So this is just going to be one week of work. On my lunch break tomorrow, I will talk to the guy at the other job to see if I'm going to get it. If I hear him say they're not going to hire me because I'm with this one, then I am done with that incompetent hiring agency and trying elsewhere.

The important thing is that I am getting work and making some money. I'd prefer something substancial (sic) but at least it's something and I'm getting out of the house. I also don't have to work too hard and I can listen to music to pass the time away.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Sounds like you need a new temp agency DB.

After I graduated college and couldn't find work, I went to Kelly Girl (yeah, I know, that's why I think they currently go by the name "Kelly Services"). Anyway, they were able to supply me with a fairly steady stream of temp jobs for about 6 months. I'd suggest hitting them up if there's a branch in your area.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Kelly is a good choice. I did some temp work through them while in college.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 8:54 pm

I didn't get the more permanent job so when this temp assignment is over, I'm trying other employment agencies. I will also shave off my goatee (which I only grew because I didn't feel like shaving when I was in Alabama) and as much as I will hate doing it, cut my hair. Both my sister and mom have been trying to get me to think about doing it and the guy I'm working with said there is a good chance I'm not getting any temp-to-hire positions because of it. He has long hair, but he's also mexican/native american so he has cultural reasons for having it so he will never cut it because of that fact. Now I won't be going totally clean cut as it's not a picnic growing your hair out from short. There is a transitional period where you can't keep it out of your eyes (and one later where you can't keep it from going into your mouth). I plan on getting it cut at just past mouth area and then keeping it slicked back.

I'm over the fact that it is only temporary because it not only gets me some money, but it also helps to drive away some of the lazy habits I have picked up in my unemployment. Of course my muscles and feet have to get used to being used for more than walking room to room or picking up the remote. It's also a nice laid back place (which makes me wish it was more than permanent) and the guy I'm working with is a cool cat. Today, the manager bought us chicken diners at lunch and truly appreciates out work so it is quite a place to work at (again makes me wish this was permanent).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 pm

hope it becomes more than temporary!

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:43 am

DB:

take a chance and move to northwestern North Dakota. The oild fields are booming. More work than people to do it. Great money and the talk is it going on for at least 10 to 12 years,

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:29 pm

exact33 wrote:

Well, despite appearances it may become permanent. Me and the other guy were actally given time clock numbers and while there are mixed signals coming from rumors, there is a chance. The guy I'm working with may not hang around as he is upset by some of the politics being played and he's spending around $70/week on gas to get there. He has been very helpful even training me to use the forklifts, but I understand if I go into work tomorrow and don't see him. I'm determined to hang through it unless something better comes along. I may get paid less than the folks who spend most the day BSing but at least I'm getting paid.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Well, despite appearances it may become permanent. Me and the other guy were actally given time clock numbers and while there are mixed signals coming from rumors, there is a chance. The guy I'm working with may not hang around as he is upset by some of the politics being played and he's spending around $70/week on gas to get there. He has been very helpful even training me to use the forklifts, but I understand if I go into work tomorrow and don't see him. I'm determined to hang through it unless something better comes along. I may get paid less than the folks who spend most the day BSing but at least I'm getting paid.

That's the way I would look at it. A real paycheck is better than sponging off the government IMO. I'd apply for just about any job if it meant I wouldn't have to collect unemployment. Take what you can get and keep looking for something you really want DB. I've said it before and I'll say it again, kudos to your work ethic DB; eventually it will pay off.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:

That's the way I would look at it. A real paycheck is better than sponging off the government IMO. I'd apply for just about any job if it meant I wouldn't have to collect unemployment. Take what you can get and keep looking for something you really want DB. I've said it before and I'll say it again, kudos to your work ethic DB; eventually it will pay off.

toho speaks the truth. I commend you for getting out there and overcoming the setbacks and garbage that you have gone through to get this position. I think you are doing it the right way.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:16 pm

tohostudios wrote:

As soon as my assignment is over (the manager wants to keep me as long as possible) I'm through with this temp agency. In my first paycheck I had $5 taken out as a new hire and $20 taken out for my drug test. Frankly, I'm pretty pissed off about the latter. I've prided myself on never using drugs and I have to pay them to prove it?! Total bullsh*t!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

As soon as my assignment is over (the manager wants to keep me as long as possible) I'm through with this temp agency. In my first paycheck I had $5 taken out as a new hire and $20 taken out for my drug test. Frankly, I'm pretty pissed off about the latter. I've prided myself on never using drugs and I have to pay them to prove it?! Total bullsh*t!

as silly as it sounds they cannot take your word for it. All employers will drug test. Its part of the game...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:19 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

as silly as it sounds they cannot take your word for it. All employers will drug test. Its part of the game...

I have no problem with taking a drug test, but I shouldn't have to pay for it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I have no problem with taking a drug test, but I shouldn't have to pay for it.

well they did get you a job...

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have gotten a job. However, the fact remains that I was never informed that I had to pay for the test and that particular temp agency has screwed other people (even the mangager of the warehouse doesn't like them). There are much better agencies out there who can do a better job of getting me a job and won't jerk me around.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm

anyone that wants a job from me has to pay for their own drug test from a reliable source of my choosing, or find work elsewhere. that's the way things are generally done around here.

anyway, with your half woman/half animal cartoon avatars, i would have thought PCP for sure. Razz

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 9:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
anyone that wants a job from me has to pay for their own drug test from a reliable source of my choosing, or find work elsewhere. that's the way things are generally done around here.

anyway, with your half woman/half animal cartoon avatars, i would have thought PCP for sure. Razz

But I'm sure you inform them of that. These people never told me I'd be paying for it myself. As for that last comment, I'm naturally weird. I don't need drugs Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:03 am

mc666 wrote:

Makes sense in your case though. You don't want druggies being your dealers, as they will skim off of your merch.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 12:02 pm

meh, they can be druggies, so long as it's a drug i enjoy myself. Wink

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

The job has lasted longer than I thought it would as it went from a couple of weeks to over three months. I also got to get forklift training as the warehouse manager wanted wanted me to start working on orders. Unfortunatly, the other guy who does what I do (not the guy mentioned before as he left back in early November) screwed that up. He was driving the forklift too fast (way too fast for someone of low skill level and no forklift certification) and at times talking on his cell phone or texting on the forklift (we're not allowed to use our cell phones in the warehouse) and was banned from using them. Of course myself not being certified either I am not allowed to operate the forklift anymore either (guilt by association). They also have cracked down on overtime (we can't have any) and at $9.50/hour I can't live off that. I was going to leave in late march/early April but the decision was made for me as they have finally ended my assignment.

The budget needs some cutting and I'm the solution. The warehouse manager tried to fight for me but the company already made up their mind. Me and the other guy are the only expendable ones as we don't have forklift certification and we do the same job. So why the guy that works hard and obeys the rules and not the careless forklift driver who continues to disobey the cell phone rule? Because I don't speak Spanish. The other guy barely speaks English and is the office pet. The office personell are all Mexican and constantly has this guy do stuff for them (to the point that I'm usually the only one who actually does what our job description says). The warehouse manager doesn't feel right having to let me go why that guy gets to stay but he has no say in this matter. He is, however, trying to help me get a job with the warehouse that just opened up next to us.

I'm not too bitter as this has at least given me some more experience to put on my resume. There are also other reasons why this is a good thing:

*It's time to move on and get a job that I can actually live off of and give me much needed medical/dental benefits.

*Since the forklift driving is out, I have gotten all the training on it I can get.

*I'm getting bored with just restacking and sweeping all the time.

If the manager can't get me on the other job I can either go to another staffing agency, try to restart my automotive career, find another warehouse job, or hope to win the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes February 28th (tounge in cheek). My main plan is to find a job in Ft. Worth because there are more job oportunities (sic) there and cheaper apartments. If I stay were I am, I'm looking at apartments not much less than $600/month while I found over 20 in the Ft. Worth area less than $500/month. Plus it's closer to most of the family (my sister also wants my dad to move there for that reason).
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm

I hope you find something soon DB.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah, good luck DB
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm not sure how it is in your area but why don't you try applying for the Post Office? Things are starting to open up again so maybe there could be openings in your area.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I'm not sure how it is in your area but why don't you try applying for the Post Office? Things are starting to open up again so maybe there could be openings in your area.

Wasn't the post office close to shutting down recently? (due to budget cuts)
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Being out of work is hard, it feels defeating after awhile. Temp jobs make you feel like your a piece of meat that others use to get paid. I know, i've been there. Keep at it, apply at every place you can think of and some you think you don't have a chance. I made it my job to look for work. Prayers for you DB.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Hope it all works out for you soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Got A Job...Sort Of   I Got A Job...Sort Of Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Got A Job...Sort Of
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next