Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)

Go down 
+21
Glower
Eyesore
Boris2008
Witchfinder
fingers
Wayne
Andy
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
kmorg
arachnoplasma
tul
dirtracin1
DeathCult
nevermore
jstate
metalken
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 am

I have Battlezone's Fighting Back and that's it. I think it's really good and wouldn't mind trying some of his other material
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 am

So I stopped by the mall last night on the way home and grabbed the Murder One disc (along with a few others) and listened to it this morning on the ride into work.

First impressions are it's pretty decent. Straight-ahead, no frills heavy metal. Nothing earth-shattering, but an enjoyable listen all the way through. Nothing that I felt the need to skip over. Paul's voice sounds good.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 pm

" Beyond The Maiden " is a great double CD.
Paul DiAnno is a fantastic lyric writer -
and his voice is a 'metal original' - hard living angst !
He's right up there with Lemmy - as a warrior of toughness -
That song " I'm Running Free " - was such a forerunner to his attitude -
What was the reason Maiden and him broke company ?
Anyone got the real sccop ?

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 2:12 pm

That reminds me, has anybody heard his most recent album?

I've been kind of reluctant to check his stuff out at all given that the only impression I've gotten as a late-comer to the whole Maiden thing is that he's the guy who talks a lot of smack on Bruce and the band while basically being a trainwreck of a human being himself.

It's not helped at all by the fact that what was probably intended to be a "badass" depiction of him breaking chains attached to manacles on his newest album cover looks more like he's trying to wipe away a tear like a toddler having a temper tantrum. Maybe I'm getting a little Freudian and reading too far into that though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Quote :

Legend has it that once Maiden reached a point where they were playing larger rooms(as opposed to bars/clubs), they quickly noticed that Paul's voice didn't have the necessary "oomph" to project all the way to the fans at the back of the hall.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Legend has it that once Maiden reached a point where they were playing larger rooms(as opposed to bars/clubs), they quickly noticed that Paul's voice didn't have the necessary "oomph" to project all the way to the fans at the back of the hall.

That's pretty much the story as I've understood it as well. Also, Paul had that punk rock attitude and was content to be in the underground, while Steve and the rest of Maiden wanted to aim higher.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm

I'd read somewhere that it had more to do with his drug intake making him unreliable, but I can't recall what the source was.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 4:26 pm

A. Didn't have the ability
B. Complacent
C. Substance abuse issues
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
F. (insert your own theory here)

Take your pick. Smile

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Steve Harris has talked about this quite a lot, he doesn't really give a toss who takes what drugs in Maiden (Nicko has been no angel over the years) so long as it didn't affect work. In Paul's case it did and then he was lying about it.

I think that they all knew that he wasn't going to be able to take that next step with them, but to this day I have never heard Steve criticise his vocals but I have read that he thought that Paul could have got a lot better if he had taken care of his instrument.

Personally I loved Paul's voice with Maiden.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 7:43 pm

You don't have to "project to the back of the hall", that's what they invented microphones for. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 pm

According to Steve Harris and even Paul D'ianno himself, he was having a bit of trouble with his voice. Mostly due to his lifestyle then anything else.

Also, frankly neither Steve Harris and Rod Smallwood, who admired D'ianno's talent where tired of dealing with him and did not feel they could make it to the next level with him fronting the band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 9:42 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I think that they all knew that he wasn't going to be able to take that next step with them, but to this day I have never heard Steve criticise his vocals but I have read that he thought that Paul could have got a lot better if he had taken care of his instrument.

All the members of Maiden seem to take the high road when it comes to former members. They were never ones to air their dirty laundry. They all seem like class acts. Maybe it's a British thing? Tony & Geezer are like that too.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

All the members of Maiden seem to take the high road when it comes to former members. They were never ones to air their dirty laundry. They all seem like class acts. Maybe it's a British thing? Tony & Geezer are like that too.

Steve has talked a fair amount of trash about Bruce's exit and how he didn't even bother trying on the last tour when he knew he was leaving, but I think that's the only time I know of (I really get the feeling that they are not friends even now)

Geezer and Tony are a class act and the only time I've really read them (or rather just Tony) really go public was with Glenn Hughes and that was because by the time they got out on tour Glenn was a fat bloated junkie completely incapable of doing his job and it cost Tony a hell of a lot of money (in contrast to the bloated junkie who was completely incapable of doing his job that he has just finished touring with who made him a hell of a lot of money  lol!)
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I like pretty much all of his solo material. The live album he put out last year--"The Beast Arises"--is quite weak, but I would like to see him live sometime. That tour he did with Blaze (in Australia, was it?) was a cool idea. That had to be a great night for Maiden die-hards.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2015 11:57 am

I remember one very hot summer afternoon in my car -
driving through this miserable busy city -
all sorts of people everywhere - the works -
old people of poverty - happy little kids - no good rapper punks
cops - tow trucks - hookers - 18 wheelers -
played this song about 5 times in a row - pirat
it just fit perfectly
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 pm

I need to check out this guy's solo material.

Interesting stuff for sure.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 am

This one is a good one - if angry with a gal who 'out parties' you Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 37951
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Heard this song in my car driving along the 2pm highway -
Kind of a Valentine's song....reminds me strongly of Kiss
Kiss - during the Unmasked/Dynasty years.
One thing is interesting - he sings many words at once -
when the guitar solo (Ace?) kicks in, I can see him taking a deep breath No
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 am

Revisited this thread for hints -
Have Murder One, Children of Madness, Beyond the Maiden -
Decided to buy Fighting back CD -
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am

Nothing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2