Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)

Go down 
+21
Glower
Eyesore
Boris2008
Witchfinder
fingers
Wayne
Andy
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
kmorg
arachnoplasma
tul
dirtracin1
DeathCult
nevermore
jstate
metalken
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Empty
PostSubject: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

What do you think is the best Di'Anno albums, outside the two he recorded with Iron Maiden?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Paul d'ianno's Battlezone by far IMO were the best material he recorded after Iron Maiden, sadly since this time, he has turned into a tribute act to his own Iron Maiden past.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I owned Menace to Society at one time, but didn't think much of it. From what I can recall, he was trying to sound all hardcore tough guy and it came off sounding rather silly.

Never heard anything else outside of Maiden.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:06 pm

I will also chime in his Battlezone material. The first two at least, as I never got around to hearing the third. I thought the stuff they came up with was very solid and I remember playing my tapes to death.
I own a live "Killers" double cd called New Live Rare that I bought for like under 10 bucks years ago, but cannot remember much about it as I have not played it in over 10 years and at the moment am not very sure where it is. Perhaps telling me how much I liked it.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 pm

I'd go with Battlezone's Children Of Madness. Those first two Battlezone's are very good. The third I thought was just okay. Didn't love it or hate it. It was like Metalguy said about Menace, "trying to sound all hardcore tough guy".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 6:11 pm

jstate wrote:
Those first two Battlezone's are very good.

headbanger

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 pm

I'd have to say the Battlezone stuff. The Nomad album he did a couple years back is pretty good. As far as his Killers band Murder One is pretty good. While the Menace To Society disc is Paul trying to sound like Pantera.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Fighting Back and Children Of Madness are the best along with the first Killers album. When he started to sound "modern" I lost interest though. I love his voice, but the music just wasn't there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

I really enjoy the Battlezone stuff myself, especially "Children Of Madness", I still listen to that one quite a bit. Believe I will crank that one on the way to work in the morning.
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 pm

The Land God Gave To Cain headbanger headbanger I am trying to get both Battlezone albums.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:16 am

"The Land God Gave to Cain" is a really good song.

I haven't heard all of his post-Maiden albums, but I have Battlezone's Fighting Back and Killers - Murder One. I like Murder One the better of the two. I've sampled some of his other albums and nothing really grabs me. A shame because I really love his voice and his time in Maiden.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 pm

When he was in jail......

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 1:50 pm

I don't think I've ever actually heard much of Paul's non-Maiden stuff. Maybe one or two tracks here and there but never enough to form an opinion.

The only "post-Maiden" disc I've owned of his was still Maiden related -- it was a horribly cheap Maiden Tribute album called THE NUMBER ONE BEAST, in which Paul and a bunch of other NWOBHM leftovers covered Maiden songs. It was like Paul decided to throw an Iron Maiden karaoke party and invited all of his unemployed friends over to help out. Awful!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't think I've ever actually heard much of Paul's non-Maiden stuff. Maybe one or two tracks here and there but never enough to form an opinion.

You've heard more than I have.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 am

The Gogmagog EP is pretty cool too. If nothing else, its lineup is a bit ironic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:29 am

Absolutely love Murder one by Killers, thought that was a great slice of Maiden/Priest tinged metal and Pauls voice was in great shape. Shame he ruined all the good will with the follow up menace to society, rubbish album with none of the charm of it's predecessor.

I also picked up an album a few years back called the living dead by DIANNO. Not a bad album, think it was released around 2006 ish I'll check. The title song living dead is superb and I think theirs a couple of re recorded versions of songs from the old DIANNO days. I believe this was the name of Pauls band after maiden and before battlezone.

I've got a live album with him covering maiden songs which sounds pretty good.

Always liked his voice and one of my prized musical possessions amongst the mountains of maiden stuff I have is the Japanese release of maiden Japan. We get an EP with about 4 tracks on they get a full live concert and to my ears it's the best live recording I've ever found of maiden with di'anno.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 3:26 am

Children of Madness

Last edited by fingers on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Saw a copy of Murder One by Killers in the used bins the other night. Worth picking up?

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Saw a copy of Murder One by Killers in the used bins the other night. Worth picking up?

It's worth it.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 2:27 pm

If I get back to the mall and it's still there, I'll probably grab it. I previewed a few tracks on YouTube. And it's not an album that shows up in the used section very often these days. I think it was only $3 or $4 bucks.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 6:58 pm

I've not heard much but Children of Madness was pretty good in parts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, none. Gogmagog was honestly the worst idea ever conceived at that time.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Unfortunately, none. Gogmagog was honestly the worst idea ever conceived at that time.

The idea was great! The execution sucked!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Agreed. The grouping of the musicians made the project seem interesting, but everything else was just bad. I'm glad that EP never went anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm

The Gogmagog EP is quite good, actually. Maybe a silly idea on paper, but those three tunes are good. The only other pre/post-Maiden Di'Anno album I have is Killers' Menace to Society, which I also think is very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)   Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Paul Di'Anno (outside of Maiden)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next