Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anyone else hate

Go down 
+14
TheGreatDuck
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Ravenscraig
Eyesore
stormspell
Temple of Blood
Leatherface
Wurthless
Wargod
Hadley
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Does anyone else hate Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 pm

when a band refuses to acknowledge a certain part of their career? Take Van Halen, yes, VH3 wasnt that good (though i'll admit to liking a handful of songs from it), but VH dont even acknowledge it at all. Same with Pantera. You put out hair metal albums, DEAL WITH IT! I mean, Alice Cooper still lists the albums he did in an alcoholic haze (zipper catches skin and dada) and his early psychadelic albums (pretties for you, easy action) as part of his discography. Its almost as if the bands are trying to rewrite history (impossible with the internet).
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

No not really it is what it is, I think most know that VH3 was horid if they choose not to talk about it, it's up to them.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Pantera's Power Metal album is better than anything they released in the 90's. Kind of sounds like Painkiller era Judas Priest.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I think Pantera's Power Metal album is better than anything they released in the 90's. Kind of sounds like Painkiller era Judas Priest.
I kind of agree. Phil's vocals are amazing on that record. Too bad he threw it away just so he could yell and scream and try to sound tough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 pm

"Power Metal" is one of their best albums definitely.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Not that I hate it, but I always chuckle and shake my head at Tom Warrior for disowning their best album to date (COLD LAKE).

And I madly hated it when a certain manager decided it will be bad promotion for his client to be revealed as singer on A.W. Bordoni's Eclectica, and therefore, this album never saw a proper release past the initial 100 CDrs... I'd have given my left nut to see it released on Stormspell. This album is simply out of this world!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 pm

stormspell wrote:
Not that I hate it, but I always chuckle and shake my head at Tom Warrior for disowning their best album to date (COLD LAKE).

I really like Cold Lake too. It's terribly underrated just because of the "glam" influence (which I don't hear). Glam is more of an image than it is really a 'sound' in my opinion, though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:34 am

Pantera has never not acknowledged those albums. By the time they were popular, they were simply a different kind of band and those early albums were no longer representative of who they were.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:49 am

I totally agree, "Cold Lake" isi a great album, the image is glam but the songs have something really really dark about em. I mean it doesn't sound like Ratt or Motley Crue at all!

Downtown.... Hanoooooi
Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

I dont really care a whole lot. If a band doesnt play the songs in concert i want to hear, i just wont go.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 am

That's one reason I respect Iron Maiden and the current version of Journey.

Maiden doesn't ignore the non-Bruce years...you go see Maiden, there's a good chance you'll get DiAnno, Dickinson AND Blaze songs...

The current Journey lineup is also including songs from the Steve Augeri years (1998-2006).

But go see Judas Priest and Rob isn't going to sing "Cathedral Spires" or "Burn In Hell"...and you can forget about DLR singing any Sammy-era VH, let alone Cherone-era.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

But go see Judas Priest and Rob isn't going to sing "Cathedral Spires" or "Burn In Hell"...and you can forget about DLR singing any Sammy-era VH, let alone Cherone-era.

Rob singing Cathedral Spires or Bullet Train would be awesome! headbanger

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Seriously.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I do think it's cool when bands acknowledge their past members or songs, but I don't get a red-ass about it if they don't.

You should also consider the source material as well. Even though his ego wouldn't allow it anyway, David Lee Roth would butcher Sammy's songs, which is probably in part as to why they wouldn't do it. Same with Vince Neil and the John Corabi-era material.

Now guys like Bruce Dickenson or Ronnie James Dio could sing along to a Chinese take-out menu and make it sound great.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:46 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It would be a train wreck. I like those songs and absolutely don't want to hear Rob do them.

And does anyone want to hear Cherone-era songs live anyway?

I do agree with Shawn that it would be cool to hear Dickinson do Blaze-era stuff because:
1. Some of hose songs are actually good/great
2. Dickinson can hit all the notes in the songs reasonable well

Important considerations.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Pantera has never not acknowledged those albums. By the time they were popular, they were simply a different kind of band and those early albums were no longer representative of who they were.

That's true of practically any artist.

And yeah, they disowened their old stuff. It's not on their official site. http://www.pantera.com/releases.htm

When is the last time Vinnie Paul autographed a copy of their first 3 discs? Or Phil autographed "Power Metal"?

They disowned them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 pm

When you think about it, there are too many considerations to take into account. Egos, song quality, vocalist ability, legal issues, "classics" to good to ignore, etc.

It's too easy (and not fair) to just cover it all with a blanket statement that "bands are dicks if they don't acknowledge their past". Some can and do, others can't or won't.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Quote :
When you think about it, there are too many considerations to take into account. Egos, song quality, vocalist ability, legal issues, "classics" to good to ignore, etc.

Not to mention, some bands (Priest, Maiden, etc.) have such massive catalogs by now that they simply can't please everybody. Even if somebody like Maiden tried to make everyone happy by playing at least one track off of EVERY record, there would still be people who would be pissed because they played, say, "Futureal" off of VIRTUAL XI instead of "The Clansman."

I read a great Dio review years ago (for one of his live DVDs I think) where the guy commented on how tough it must be for Ronnie to pick a set list, what with his Rainbow, Sabbath, and solo material to choose from.

He sez something to the effect of "The poor bastard could sing all night till he's passed out from exhaustion onstage, there could be sunlight streaming through the doors, and yet some crank in the front row would still say 'No Neon Knights? What a dick!'"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Good point.

Once you get past 4 or 5 albums as an international professional touring artist there are bound to be tons of good songs that you simply don't have time to play.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It would be a train wreck. I like those songs and absolutely don't want to hear Rob do them.

And does anyone want to hear Cherone-era songs live anyway?

I do agree with Shawn that it would be cool to hear Dickinson do Blaze-era stuff because:
1. Some of hose songs are actually good/great
2. Dickinson can hit all the notes in the songs reasonable well

Important considerations.
Dickinson actually did some Blaze songs live...And I believe Halford also told once he'd like to do some Ripper material live...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 2:42 pm

I've seen Dickinson do "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" from the Blaze era. And of course, they almost always do "Wrathchild" and/or "Iron Maiden" to represent the DiAnno period.

I remember Halford saying he wouldn't mind doing Ripper era stuff when he rejoined Priest but to the best of my knowledge they've never actually played any of it since he's been back in the band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Bruce has also sung "Man on the Edge," "Futureal" and "Lord of the Flies" from the Blaze era during certain tours.

I remember those interviews with Rob and though I'm not the biggest fan of the Ripper era I was curious about hearing a new take on some of those songs. Of course, that never happened. They said they were going to do one song off of every Priest album for their Epitaph tour, but they skipped over both Ripper albums. Maybe that's for the better all around... Rob's older and he probably couldn't hit some of those notes by this point anyway, and they've got a simply massive back catalog to draw from and limited time to cover all the bases.

I'd still like to hear Joey sing a few more Bush era Anthrax songs (they've done "Only" so far). I think a few of those could work well. I'm not holding my breath though.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Yeah, Rob did say he acknowledged Ripper's albums as legitimate parts of JP's history and would have no problem performing the songs as such, but never did.

And I think that Cherone VH album gets a bad rap. Aside from some of the songs being a little too long, most of them are not bad...people were just pissed that both Dave AND Sammy were now gone. That said, "How Many Say I?" is horrible.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm

I understand the reasoning behind not including it in their official discography, but man do I still love Sabbat's Mourning Has Broken. Wish they would reconsider so it can get a decent remastering like the other two records got.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else hate   Does anyone else hate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else hate
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next