Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal for a reason!

Go down 
+9
ultmetal
Alex Dee Rokket
holydiver97595
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Spiner202
Nico
mc666
Telmorn Altayon
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

Number of posts : 121

Metal for a reason! Empty
PostSubject: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I always try to tell my friends about some great metal bands that I either just found or have been listening to for years. It always comes down to people saying "I don't like old school metal, I like newer metal." Then they don't even want to listen or check it out. Worse, if it has a hint of "old school metal" sound, they just write it off as crap.

I understand "Iron Maiden" or "Black Sabbath" is considered old school metal. Though I am talking about bands such as "Nevermore" (Broke up), "Kamelot", "Iced Earth" and even "Brainstorm". But what do you all think is considered "Old School Metal?"

I mean, what determines a band to fall into that category? Ultimately, even the band "K O R N" is going to be thrown into that group. But what do you all feel, collectively, places a band into "Old School Metal"?
Back to top Go down
http://www.MakeARightLeftHere.com -- www.BBRProductions.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

i'd say anything earlier than 1990 would do it.

Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm

^What he said.
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 283

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 pm

For me, the cutoff is some period between 1994-1996. I would agree that most subgenres of Metal could be cutoff earlier, but Black and Death Metal were huge during this time, and I would consider those bands to be old-school.

By contrast, a band like Edguy formed in 1992, but they really weren't rolling until the late 90's. I wouldn't say they are "new-school", but I definitely don't consider them to be from the same era as the early 90's Death Metal bands.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Pre-grunge is old school.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 pm

mc666 wrote:

kmorg wrote:

Listen to these gentlemen. They gots the wisdom.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:

kmorg wrote:

All of this, though some people will call things made yesterday old school. It's just another way for someone to have an excuse not to listen to music they just don't feel like listening to. It'd be like an old school metalhead saying "Ah, well, I'm not into that nu metal stuff."; it's a bit close-minded, but hey, people know what they like.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 am

I would say majority of the bands and albums I have in my collection would fall under the "old school metal" category.

I listen to a lot of pre-90s/grunge era metal and pre-Euro metal explosion. I also have newer favorites although for me 'newer metal' is from about mid-90s onwards. At least anything in the last 10 years I would consider new.

I am not very familiar with all the newest acts, which I would classify as acts that have emerged in the last 2 - 3 years. In terms of the newest acts I know of, it's more the 'retro-thrash' stuff like Havok, Toxic Holocaust, Evile and the like.

I am not big on power or black metal so I am don't follow much of what goes on in those scenes unless it is something that is truly a modern day must have classic.

For me, metal is like a fine wine - the older the better. When I say 'older' I mean the longevity and legacy of the band. For me it's also a matter of originality / uniqueness and I find that a lot of new bands (even bands I mentioned above) sound like recycled 2nd rate versions of their old school counterparts. Not all but many in any case.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am

Good music is timeless. I find myself listening to the "old school" daily.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

holydiver97595 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:

kmorg wrote:

All of this, though some people will call things made yesterday old school.

One time in high school, this girl was giving me a ride home and one of her friends was riding with us also. She let her friend pick the music and she wanted to listen to Christina Aguilera and "go old-school today". Laughing very hard

Wait, that's not all, there was one time when I was talking about music with this girl and my then-co-worker chimed in, "I like old-school rock...\"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", Limp Bizkit..." I explained to him that those bands weren't old-school and he said, "Yeah, 6th and 7th grade". Laughing very hard

These episodes occured five or six years ago, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks so much every one, your input was more than helpful. I agree that anything before the 1990's is considered old school metal.

I guess when it comes down to it, when telling people, nothing new can become old school metal, since that era was defined by the creators of what we now call "Old School Metal"!

I knew I could always count on the Heart Of Metal people. I tell everyone about this site. I say, if you want to know metal, go to HOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------ "Wait, that's not all, there was one time when I was talking about music with this girl and my then-co-worker chimed in, "I like old-school rock...\"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", Limp Bizkit..." I explained to him that those bands weren't old-school and he said, "Yeah, 6th and 7th grade"

LMAO!

One time, at a Metallica concert, they were playing "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and some kid behind me said "Oh man, I wonder if this is a cover or a new song that's going to be on the next album." Mind you, this was during the "LOAD" album tour. I almost went to jail for killing a person... but I thought better of it and said "Dude, you need to leave now before someone with less control hears you repeat or mention anything else idiotic." lol
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:35 pm

I kind of know the mentality of not wanting to hear anything old school, because I used to be like that. That's back when I was really into bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Static-X, etc. I would say I liked a band more for their image and not the actual music.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Yeah, some times when we are young it is about finding an image to associate with, as you get older you realize you want to hear something that can last forever in the mind with good music!
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 am

Funny how the older we get the more open our minds are to different types of music.
Then again I'm old-school so your friends probably don't want to listen to me…..
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 am

mc666 wrote:

Even 1990's metal is somewhat considered as old school now.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 am

Bands like ENFORCER, CAULDRON, WHITE WIZZARD etc...play all old school metal and are bands of today.
Back to top Go down
Telmorn Altayon
Metal student
Metal student
Telmorn Altayon

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 11:42 am

onrypt wrote:
Funny how the older we get the more open our minds are to different types of music.
Then again I'm old-school so your friends probably don't want to listen to me…..

LOL I want to listen to you, so it's all good haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal for a reason!   Metal for a reason! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal for a reason!
Page 1 of 1