Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your favorite EP

Go down 
+33
Eyesore
EvyMetal
Lurideath
ultmetal
chewie
arachnoplasma
nevermore
allthingsmetal
thejokeriv
Cognitive Dissonance
mlotek
QuothTheRaven
Smindas
Sutekh
rawr!
kmorg
Leatherface
Troublezone
adrian
jettafiend
Nico
Fat Freddy
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
Joe
Stender
mc666
GrandNational
Witchfinder
exact33
DallasBlack
metalhead777
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Your favorite EP - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Which begs the question: What is an EP? I typically say six songs or less. But take A Change of Seasons for instance. It's five songs, but it's an hour long. Is that an EP?

Thinking too much? Haha.

True. Look at Van Halen. Most of their albums clock in at around 30 minutes. Most people would call that an EP. Same thing with Slayer's Reign in Blood. It's 10 songs, but most songs clock in at under 3 minutes with the entire album being less than 30 minutes. No one would consider it an EP, but yet, I have EP that are longer.
And then there's the name, extended play, which never made sense to me, for things shorter than full-lengths. Who thinks up this crap? I know it means longer than a single, but it's still kinda silly if you ask me. Haha.

I also have things dubbed singles that have well over 30 minutes of music on them.

Because when EP's first came about, they were longer then singles, which was the popular format at the time.

I don't get everyone's issue with how short Reign In Blood is. Wouldn't you rather have 29 minutes of metal greatness than 78 of drawn out ox manur?

Seriously! Quality not quantity!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 5:10 am

No one's ripping on Reign In Blood for being short. They're just making the (quite fair) point that EPs and albums can't be distinguished from another by length alone.

I guess a lot of it comes down to the amount of songs on it. Taking Reign In Blood as an example again, it may clock in at under half an hour, but it boasts ten tracks. Even the biggest EPs seem to stop at around six. Outside of prog, I think you'd struggle to find albums with less than seven songs, regardless of length.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:38 am

Your favorite EP - Page 3 41521440%255B1%255D

Your favorite EP - Page 3 2v0lpoi
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 am

chewie wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Which begs the question: What is an EP? I typically say six songs or less. But take A Change of Seasons for instance. It's five songs, but it's an hour long. Is that an EP?

Thinking too much? Haha.

True. Look at Van Halen. Most of their albums clock in at around 30 minutes. Most people would call that an EP. Same thing with Slayer's Reign in Blood. It's 10 songs, but most songs clock in at under 3 minutes with the entire album being less than 30 minutes. No one would consider it an EP, but yet, I have EP that are longer.
And then there's the name, extended play, which never made sense to me, for things shorter than full-lengths. Who thinks up this crap? I know it means longer than a single, but it's still kinda silly if you ask me. Haha.

I also have things dubbed singles that have well over 30 minutes of music on them.

Because when EP's first came about, they were longer then singles, which was the popular format at the time.

I don't get everyone's issue with how short Reign In Blood is. Wouldn't you rather have 29 minutes of metal greatness than 78 of drawn out ox manur?

No one has a problem with how long Reign in Blood is, we're just making a point about EPs and albums and how they can't always be distinguished by their length alone. As a matter of fact, I also pointed out that most Van Halen records were about that long too. It's not a rip on Slayer, it's just pointing out a fact about the length of some album.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 am

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Thinking too much? Haha.

No one has a problem with how long Reign in Blood is, we're just making a point about EPs and albums and how they can't always be distinguished by their length alone. As a matter of fact, I also pointed out that most Van Halen records were about that long too. It's not a rip on Slayer, it's just pointing out a fact about the length of some album.

I was just pointing out that an album that is short can have just as many good songs(sometimes even more) as an album that is twice as long, that's all Smile

Yeah that Ep thing is confusing. I love DT Change Of Seasons, but I think if had been released in the vinyl only days it would have been considered an LP. Change Of Seasons is way longer than most classic albums like Close To The Edge, 90125, Led Zeppelin IV, Foxtrot and others that aren't double vinyls.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Thinking too much? Haha.

I wasn't referring to you Ult. Is just a common complaint I see online. What you wrote just brought it to mind. Like I was saying though, it's not really about time, the name originated long before LP's were the norm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Some really awersome stuff has been listed but I am going to with some stuff not mentoned yet:

Far Beyond - Songs of Hope and Sorrow.
Ecthirion - Apocalytic Visions
Shadows of Paragon - The Fear of Being Lost Forever
Admonish - Insnarjd
Mordecai - Through the woods towards the dawn

Many Black, Gothic artist only release E.P.'s
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 am

Sepultura - beneath the remains
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your favorite EP   Your favorite EP - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your favorite EP
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3