Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath Live 1989

Go down 
+8
chewie
Mglaffas81
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
kmorg
manny
Lurideath
tul
12 posters
AuthorMessage
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

Black Sabbath Live 1989 Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIOnwmNawYI&feature=player_embedded#!

headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:59 pm

That is AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Very cool, definitely going to check out later
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:22 pm

This is he Black Sabbath I wanna see. NOT Ozzy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 pm

I've watched that concert like ten times, and it's still awesome.

Also gotta add, there is a better concert with Martin from 1995 you can find online with Rondinelli on drums. I think it's cut in 4 parts, but worth viewing. And Geezer is in the lineup on that one too.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 5:17 pm

kmorg wrote:
This is he Black Sabbath I wanna see. NOT Ozzy.

Agreed. headbanger And I have no doubt Tony Martin would come back. He's got battered wife syndrome. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 5:23 am

That is an awesome show! I love the Martin-era Sabbath, some really great stuff! Martin is an awesome vocalist - am I the only one who thinks his voice is similar to Dio's? - His renditions of the dio-era songs are great!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:41 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
That is an awesome show! I love the Martin-era Sabbath, some really great stuff! Martin is an awesome vocalist - am I the only one who thinks his voice is similar to Dio's? - His renditions of the dio-era songs are great!

I always thought his voice was similar to Dio's.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

His voice being similar is what landed Tony Martin the spot in Black Sabbath.

That was a great concert to watch though!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:26 pm

GrandNational wrote:

Also gotta add, there is a better concert with Martin from 1995 you can find online with Rondinelli on drums. I think it's cut in 4 parts, but worth viewing. And Geezer is in the lineup on that one too.

That concert was from 'Cross Purposes Live" which was a VHS/CD Combo box.

Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

That concert was from 'Cross Purposes Live" which was a VHS/CD Combo box.

Yup, that's the one. It's a great show. I found it on some Russian site, i think they're the only ones carrying it. The bands sounds fantastic on that recording.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Cross Purposes Live is the most expensive disc (and VHS tape too) I've ever purchased. And I even scored it off ebay for a "bargain". And still I have to say it was worth every penny. I'm not a big live record fan but that one gets continual plays. Love the Tony Martin Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Here's the whole show on that Russian site: http://video.yandex.ru/users/muranavod/view/79/
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 1:23 am

GrandNational wrote:
Here's the whole show on that Russian site: http://video.yandex.ru/users/muranavod/view/79/

Wow, that is a great show! They sound great, especially Martin has lotsa' power to his voice - The only thing he could have improved was his stage presence, he really is a terrible showman Laughing
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 am

nice

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Wow, that is a great show! They sound great, especially Martin has lotsa' power to his voice - The only thing he could have improved was his stage presence, he really is a terrible showman Laughing

I agree his lack of stage presence hurts him a little bit, especially considering he is following Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan and to certain extent Glenn Hughes and Ray Gillen, these guys have all incredible stage presence.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:06 pm

manny wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

I agree his lack of stage presence hurts him a little bit, especially considering he is following Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan and to certain extent Glenn Hughes and Ray Gillen, these guys have all incredible stage presence.

True. Perhaps if Martin had that stage presence and rockstar resume from the past, he would be given more notice rather than as a singer with a good voice who filled in time for other better Sabbath frontmen.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:31 pm

GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

True. Perhaps if Martin had that stage presence and rockstar resume from the past, he would be given more notice rather than as a singer with a good voice who filled in time for other better Sabbath frontmen.

Can't disagree but the guy created his own modesty legacy with Black Sabbath, and considering he was singing songs originated by legends in the metal world, I give the guy lots of props and much respect
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

To his credit, I do enjoy all of the Martin era Sabbath albums and I think he's a great vocalist overall. He's like Rodney Dangerfield, he gets no respect.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 pm

GrandNational wrote:
To his credit, I do enjoy all of the Martin era Sabbath albums and I think he's a great vocalist overall. He's like Rodney Dangerfield, he gets no respect.

I like all the albums he appeared with the exception of 'Forbidden'
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 pm

This is a great concert but sadly when it was released as part of the VHS/cd combo it wasn't complete. Not only are their songs missing on the VHS that were played at that concert the cd is missing songs from the VHS, most notably anno mundi which is one of my favourite Martin era songs.

I managed to pick this concert up on DVD a while back. It was released on some budget label in the UK and had the same track listing as the VHS. My copy is a Japanese import which has the full concert with the 5 missing tracks. Can't remember what the tracks were but I think one if then was a superb rendition of the mob rules.

What makes this concert all the better is that it was a well known and documented fact that Tony Martin had a bad cold/flu for most of the tour and it affected his voice quite a lot. He still sounds amazing here but you'll notice he doesn't quite reach the high notes on songs like headless cross. I'd love to see a concert of this era with Martin on top form. Apparently theirs some excellent bootlegs out their from the tyr tour which according to a lot of die hard sabbath fans was when Tony Martin was at his best live.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I love the Martin albums. Even Forbidden is good, IMO. My 2nd favorite era of Sabbath. Excited for his new project.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:37 pm

The Martin era of Sabbath is more respected now than it ever was at the time. None of my friends liked those albums at the time of release. I wasn't that thrilled with them either, I just considered them Tony Iommi solo albums.

My opinion has changed over the years, but I still have a hard time thinking of that lineup as Black Sabbath (Cross Purposes at least had Geezer).

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I used to be pretty apathetic towards the Tony Martin era, but over the years I've warmed up to it a lot more and there are some really good songs on those albums. Headless Cross and Tyr are both pretty solid albums, and The Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes have some good tracks. Good classy heavy metal and Tony Martin's not a half bad singer.

Now if I had a choice on who would front a new incarnation of Black Sabbath or Heaven & Hell...

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 am

arachnoplasma wrote:
I used to be pretty apathetic towards the Tony Martin era, but over the years I've warmed up to it a lot more and there are some really good songs on those albums. Headless Cross and Tyr are both pretty solid albums, and The Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes have some good tracks. Good classy heavy metal and Tony Martin's not a half bad singer.

Now if I had a choice on who would front a new incarnation of Black Sabbath or Heaven & Hell...

That was pretty cool! - I've only heard him sing Paranoid, and thought he did a decent job - he did well on this classic song! But I'm still sceptical about the idea of Halford fronting Sabbath fulltime...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath Live 1989   Black Sabbath Live 1989 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath Live 1989
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: