Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"

Go down 
+15
James B.
sheets
Lurideath
Thrasher73
metalhead777
nevermore
The_Jayroh
manny
exact33
Stender
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Empty
PostSubject: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 am

I saw this awesome quote from another forum:

Quote :
Everything has become a pissing contest in the last few years to out-brutal the next band and I just don't care about that crap anymore.

Nothing proves this to me more than my experience at the Mayhem Fest yesterday. The side stage bands that I saw/heard (All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence & Trivium) were just all so full of $h!+. By the time it was over, I was so sick of being screamed at and being called a "m0therfu*$er"....

Everything was "COME ON YOU M0THERFU*$ERSSSS!!!!!" and "I FU*$#NG WANT YOU ALL TO FU*$#NG GO FU*$#NG INSANE IN THIS M0THERFU*$ER!!!!!!!"

The songs had the same breakdowns, the same shreiking vocals, and the same kids killing each other in a gravel parking lot "pit". The bands kept screaming at said "m0therfu*$ers" to start a circle pit, but of course nobody knew how since it's not 1985 anymore and these kids were not alive in the circle pit era...it's just become the trendy thing to say.

The only thing I can say about these bands is that the guitar players at least play some pretty intricate solos, something that was lacking for many years in trendy Metal. But dear god...the put on "br00tality" and pretending to be violent and angry was just so boring.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 am

They are scared of being made fun of that they aren't so heavy or "troo" so they put on a front instead of expressing what they really feel. But that seems to be whet the vast majority respects and wants to hear.

I think the whole tech death scene is full of unlistenable "musicians" who can play insane stuff but little of it is worth hearing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:43 am

"Brutal" is one of the most over-used terms in metal music and has been so for 20+ years...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah, I hate that as well. I like it when a band banters in a friendly way, and then just plays for the crowd.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Everything has become a pissing contest in the last few years to out-brutal the next band and I just don't care about that crap anymore.

[/quote]

I've not cared about that crap for some years now.

A few years ago I was doing a show at Cornerstone with Once Dead. I walked around the various stages by myself on evening listening to the different bands performing. Most of the stages seemed to have some sort of metalcore/deathcore/whatevercore band on the stage. It was amusing to me that all these bands sounded like they shared the same vocalist. I wondered to myself if there was just one singer in the middle of the madness somewhere screaming piss and vinegar into a mic and pumping his vocalis into the various tent stages over the music.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

Why stop at singers?

How many drummers, guitarists, bassists, or lead guitarists have their own style?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Ive been saying something similar to my friends here for awhile now also. One of the reasons I cant stand pantera and anything phil anselmo does, is because he's constantly yelling and swearing at the audience.

Everyone my age seems to be more than willing to trade good songwriting for complex wankery that dosnt mean anything.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Speaking of brOOtal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uh01Lnl4oso

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Quote :

Nothing proves this to me more than my experience at the Mayhem Fest yesterday. The side stage bands that I saw/heard (All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence & Trivium) were just all so full of $h!+. By the time it was over, I was so sick of being screamed at and being called a "m0therfu*$er"....

Everything was "COME ON YOU M0THERFU*$ERSSSS!!!!!" and "I FU*$#NG WANT YOU ALL TO FU*$#NG GO FU*$#NG INSANE IN THIS M0THERFU*$ER!!!!!!!"

The songs had the same breakdowns, the same shreiking vocals, and the same kids killing each other in a gravel parking lot "pit". The bands kept screaming at said "m0therfu*$ers" to start a circle pit, but of course nobody knew how since it's not 1985 anymore and these kids were not alive in the circle pit era...it's just become the trendy thing to say.

The only thing I can say about these bands is that the guitar players at least play some pretty intricate solos, something that was lacking for many years in trendy Metal. But dear god...the put on "br00tality" and pretending to be violent and angry was just so boring.

it is brutal to listen to - just not in the good way.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Stender wrote:
Ive been saying something similar to my friends here for awhile now also. One of the reasons I cant stand pantera and anything phil anselmo does, is because he's constantly yelling and swearing at the audience.

Everyone my age seems to be more than willing to trade good songwriting for complex wankery that dosnt mean anything.

I saw Phil Anselmo with Supershit Ritual, I actually thought the CD was ok, but the whole show it was f this and I am king of f**king metal, nobody messes with the kid (points at himself) and other douche bag like statements, of course the trailer park residents thought these were grand artistic statements worthy of Larry the Cableguy himself, I wish he would have shut up and attempt to at least sing/scream that damn song. Major suckage.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 12:53 pm

I think that bands who have to rely on swearing to get attention really dont have much to offer lyric-wise.

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Quote :

I was wanting to go this year, but my sister is getting married on the same day as the Atlanta date. I only wanted to see Megadeth and Unearth to be honest.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:20 pm

It's past the point of being "br00tal" to being downright pathetic.

Manny, I saw Superjoint Ritual once and herad a lot of those same stupid macho jarhead statements. Phil was so high it was actually hard to believe he could complete a sentence much less say the stupid things he did. He talked more than SR played. Just plain awful.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Speaking of brOOtal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uh01Lnl4oso

She sounds so much like George fisher I dont know if I should be amazed or laugh.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

exact33 wrote:
I think that bands who have to rely on swearing to get attention really dont have much to offer lyric-wise.

Very few bands have anything actually "to say" lyrically...I think bands scream and cuss at the audience acting tough because, as Manny pointed out, a certain demographic responds to it...

It's one thing to use cuss words while interacting with your audience, like "You guys are f'ing great!".

It's something else entirely to call your audience names, demand participation, and threaten them, like literally screaming "Get your f'ing fists in the f'ing air right g0dd@m now or I will f'ing come down there and f'ing put them up for you, m0therf*#er!!"
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 pm

exact33 wrote:

Agreed
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Years ago I went to an all-day death metal festival in NYC with my brother (I'm not a death metal guy at all but I knew how to get to the venue and he didn't, so he offered to pay my way in and get me drunk)... I lost count of how many times I heard the word "brutal" from the multitude of bands onstage that day... "You guys are F'n brutal," "Who wants some more F'n brutal death metal?", "This is the most brutal song we've ever done," etc., etc.... it really became comical after a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:50 pm

nevermore wrote:

Manny, I saw Superjoint Ritual once and herad a lot of those same stupid macho jarhead statements. Phil was so high it was actually hard to believe he could complete a sentence much less say the stupid things he did. He talked more than SR played. Just plain awful.

I saw them as well and he said the same things. Brontotex and I counted and he used the "F-word" 40x in the span of about two minutes. I kid you not, he said things like "I am the f**king new metal god, f**k all you muthaf***rs that don't bow!" It was almost comical.

Buy a friggin' dictionary and learn a new word.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
nevermore wrote:

I saw them as well and he said the same things. Brontotex and I counted and he used the "F-word" 40x in the span of about two minutes. I kid you not, he said things like "I am the f**king new metal god, f**k all you muthaf***rs that don't bow!" It was almost comical.

Buy a friggin' dictionary and learn a new word.

Yeah...like "friggin"... lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:03 pm

...or "fargin'!"

"Come on you fargin iceholes! I wanna see you fargin bastiges form a fargin old school circle fargin' pit! Knock down that wall, and that wall, and that fargin' wall! This is fargin' WAR!"

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone would catch the humor in that. lol!

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm

exact33 wrote:

Yeah I agree, i mean I have nothing against swearing but geez...have some tact.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Stender wrote:
exact33 wrote:

At the same time, I always thought that Dee Snider's stage banter was as entertaining as the show itself. Same thing with Ted Nugent. Both used the f-word generously for sure. However, it seemed like it was more in "fun" and less in "anger". I never felt like Dee Snider or Ted Nugent was yelling at me.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Stender wrote:
exact33 wrote:

At the same time, I always thought that Dee Snider's stage banter was as entertaining as the show itself. Same thing with Ted Nugent. Both used the f-word generously for sure. However, it seemed like it was more in "fun" and less in "anger". I never felt like Dee Snider or Ted Nugent was yelling at me.

I have to agree and it was so over the top, and purposely comical, and the difference the audience is included in their curseathon., not being cursed at.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:05 pm

I see this a lot at some of the death metal and "brutal" death metal shows I go to. I find it real disrespectful to be called Motherf****r or any other name. Bands a lot of times swear way too much. I don't get offended too easily, but after a few times of being called something like Motherf****r, then I start taking it personal.

Also I agree with what you are all saying about these bands. In this new age of death metal, which really gets boring after 3 songs, you end up hearing the same song over and over. We have a deathfest here in Vegas that a real good friend puts on. Last year I attended and heard the same song over 50 times between 30 bands. Only 2 were different and thats because they weren't all herber skerber. This year I heard the same song about 30 tomes between 30 bands. Granted, it was a different song than last year, but still.

I find it funny though that most of these guys get up there being all tough guy on the stage and all you hear is growls and pig squeals. Anyone can do that!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"   The Pissing Contest that is br00tality" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Pissing Contest that is br00tality"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next