Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM August '11 Update

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
novellahub
Chairman_Smith
Hadley
mr.electric39
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
chewie
DallasBlack
kmorg
TheGreatDuck
mc666
mlotek
Required Fields
Stender
ultmetal
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 6:44 pm

chewie wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

Also, will you get any Toto in the future? I'd recommend Hydra, pretty good proggy melodic hard rock...

I now have "Toto" and "The Seventh One" on CD. I'll probably start by reviewing the self-titled.

cool

Though the Seventh One is very slick.

You weren't kidding. VERY SLICK! I'd describe it as 80's pop or soft rock. No track really ventures into hard rock territory. One track (You Got Me) even reminded me of Micheal Jackson. Lots of ballads, which isn't surprising in 1988.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:15 am

What Bon Jovi CDs have you got, btw? Because their recent stuff was pretty bad IMHO...Still, I'm kinda surprised you seem to hate the old stuff as well, seeing you do like (or at least don't mind) bands like Danger Danger, Autograph, Giant, House Of Lords, Giuffria, Bad English, Damn Yankees etc. Their early stuff is decent AOR/glam IMHO, although they are really overplayed compared to those other bands, so that could be the reason why...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:47 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
What Bon Jovi CDs have you got, btw? Because their recent stuff was pretty bad IMHO...Still, I'm kinda surprised you seem to hate the old stuff as well, seeing you do like (or at least don't mind) bands like Danger Danger, Autograph, Giant, House Of Lords, Giuffria, Bad English, Damn Yankees etc. Their early stuff is decent AOR/glam IMHO, although they are really overplayed compared to those other bands, so that could be the reason why...

I grew up a heavy metal fan in New Jersey in the 80's. Bon Jovi was everywhere. He was the epitome of poser to us. So, I just have that dislike from the get-go with Bon Jovi. I know it's a ridiculous bias.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 am

ultmetal wrote:
chewie wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

Also, will you get any Toto in the future? I'd recommend Hydra, pretty good proggy melodic hard rock...

I now have "Toto" and "The Seventh One" on CD. I'll probably start by reviewing the self-titled.

cool

Though the Seventh One is very slick.

You weren't kidding. VERY SLICK! I'd describe it as 80's pop or soft rock. No track really ventures into hard rock territory. One track (You Got Me) even reminded me of Micheal Jackson. Lots of ballads, which isn't surprising in 1988.

You should really check out Turn Back, It has a different sound than all the rest of the Toto albums. It was produced by Geoff Workmann who worked with Queen(Jazz), Journey(Infinity, Evolution & Departure), Foreigner(Head Games), Mötley Crüe(Shout At The Devil), The Cars(Candy-O), Twisted Sister(Stay Hungry) and he was usually the engineer for Roy Thomas Baker. It's their most guitar driven 80s album.

Isolation is a good one too, especially if you take out the songs How Does It Feel and Holyanna.

Last edited by chewie on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:54 am

Brought in Isolation today. TERRIBLE cover art.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Are you ever going to get in anything by the Cult? You may want to start with Electric (the early stuff is pretty much gothic new wave, but this album is straight up ac/dc-style hard rock).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Hadley wrote:
Are you ever going to get in anything by the Cult? You may want to start with Electric (the early stuff is pretty much gothic new wave, but this album is straight up ac/dc-style hard rock).

Yup, I've heard Electric. Had it on vinyl back in the day. Pure AC/DC worship. I liked it but I don't have it on CD as of now.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Indeed.They had a lot of awful covers in the '80s and early '90s. Oh, and don't expect hard rock from their '80s albums, they're good pop-rock/AOR, but I think you'll be disappointed by them. As I said, get Hydra,it's proggy and guitar-driven, something you'd probably like.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:32 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Indeed.They had a lot of awful covers in the '80s and early '90s. Oh, and don't expect hard rock from their '80s albums, they're good pop-rock/AOR, but I think you'll be disappointed by them. As I said, get Hydra,it's proggy and guitar-driven, something you'd probably like.

I'm not totally turned off by 80's pop. I grew up all around it. I like stuff from Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, etc. I checked out three different Toto albums. I'd be hard pressed to call anything I've heard from their 80's catalog AOR or hard rock. Mostly they are pop, sometimes soft rock.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:39 pm

If you're ever in the mood for some blues-rock, these guys are cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUDjFMgUKM
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 5:37 am

ultmetal wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm not totally turned off by 80's pop. I grew up all around it. I like stuff from Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, etc. I checked out three different Toto albums. I'd be hard pressed to call anything I've heard from their 80's catalog AOR or hard rock. Mostly they are pop, sometimes soft rock.

Well, there are various subgenres of AOR, and Toto's '80s albums fall into lighter AOR.
Speaking of AOR, have you ever been to this site?
http://www.aor-fm.com/index.aspx

Another good resource like Sleaze Roxx and Heavy Harmonies.

Have you head any Survivor past the Rocky songs btw? They're not the heaviest band around, but they do have some good riffs and solos and are definitely heavier than '80s Toto.

I'd also recommend Coney Hatch, a Canadian AOR band, kinda similar to Night Ranger:

Strangeways are also good, their singer Terry Brock later joined Giant.

Last edited by TheGreatDuck on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
novellahub
Metal student
Metal student
novellahub

Number of posts : 163

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am

ultmetal wrote:
Excellent album though! My favorite Toto release.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rchobbyhub.com
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I'd be hard pressed to call anything I've heard from their 80's catalog AOR or hard rock. Mostly they are pop, sometimes soft rock.

Again, check out the 90s and 00s albums. If you'd like I could make couple of comps for you, wouldn't cost me much to mail them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks. It's cool. I'll get them eventually.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 am

DallasBlack wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I'd be hard pressed to call anything I've heard from their 80's catalog AOR or hard rock. Mostly they are pop, sometimes soft rock.

Again, check out the 90s and 00s albums. If you'd like I could make couple of comps for you, wouldn't cost me much to mail them.

Couldn't you just give him a list of songs to look up on Youtube/download?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Couldn't you just give him a list of songs to look up on Youtube/download?

I like making comps for people, it's a hobby.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

Those 80's Toto albums aren't bad. It's definitely more pop oriented than rock oriented, but that doesn't mean that it's bad. It's just a matter of taste. I like some 80's pop, since that's the era I grew up in. So far, however, I like the debut the best of the three albums I have.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:31 am

Since I'm listening to this today, I have a recommendation...

Ult, have you ever checked out Bar 7's The World is a Freak? It's Jeff Keith and Tommy Skeoch from Tesla along with 2 other dudes. It came out after Tesla broke up for a brief time in the late 90's. Musically, it's the most Tesla-like album out of all the side-projects and whatnot of all the members.

It's a little pricey on Amazon, but if you can find a copy, I'd highly recommend it to any Tesla fans.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Freak-Bar-7/dp/B00004TKP5

NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 9b22810ae7a09f559275a110.L._AA300_

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

I think I saw Bar 7. I can't remember who they were opening for, but it might have been Dio.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 2:31 pm

I went through your Viking page today, and must inform you to take a look at the names of the band mebers all over the page. Ron Daniel became Ron Eriksen. Brett Eriksen joined Dark Angel (not Ron). Matt Eriksen does not exist (Matt Jordan does).

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 2:40 pm

thanks.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Speaking of AOR, have you ever considered .38 special? Granted, they only became full fledged AOR with Tour De Force, but even their early albums have some AOR elements mixed in with some killer southern rock.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 am

Ult once said when hears a .38 Special song on the radio he doesn't shut it off, but he never had interest in any albums. However, I think he'd really like the last two albums (Resolution and Drivetrain-both part of my CD sale *hint* *hint*) which are very much southern rock and not AOR.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 1:31 am

@Ultmetal

I was wondering if you are going to post a review of Legend/Legend Seven? They are great early 90's hard rock before the style that cannot be named took over. However... Not to be confused with the NWOBHM band Legend from the Jersey Islands in England (Fantastic). Also on the NWOBHM topic, any Jaguar?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 1:41 am

Bullet is also a band that should be on your review list.

Very Udo-ish sound
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM August '11 Update   NLTM August '11 Update - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM August '11 Update
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next