Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

U2

Go down 
+12
manny
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
James B.
Troublezone
stepcousin
Jesusandmetal23
Schbopo
exact33
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

U2 Empty
PostSubject: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 7:28 pm

I did a search and nada.

So how many U2 fans are here? I'm a HUGE fan. I like every album they put out - including the one most fans hate - "Pop", though that is my least favorite.

My favorites are:

1. Achtung Baby (pure genius!)
2. The Joshua Tree (get the expanded edition if you can!)
3. Zooropa
4. All that You Can't Leave Behind
5. War

I like em all though!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm a casual fan.

I like:

Achtung Baby
War
Boy

Beyond that...meh.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm

I like the stuff up to Achtung Baby. After that they went off to weirdo world. My fave would be War. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a fantastic song.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
I like the stuff up to Achtung Baby. After that they went off to weirdo world. My fave would be War. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a fantastic song.

I totally agree.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:01 pm

exact33 wrote:

What do you mean?

I know the album immediate after "Achtung Baby" was much different than any previous stuff. More electronic really.

But they quickly reverted back to normal mode after this. All of their recent album sound like old U2 (for the most part). I think you may be missing out. Have you heard "All that You Can't Leave Behind" yet?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

The last U2 album I bought was "How To Dismantle The Atomic Bomb" and after one listen (not all the way through) I went, "WTF is this?!?!?!"

I think you nailed it with the electronica influence. Whereas the early music seemed to have some new wave/punk influences, the later stuff has more in common with acidhouse/electronica.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm

I like U2, although I'm not a huge fan. I think the singles collection is all I'll ever need by them. Most of their songs sound pretty much the same.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
exact33 wrote:

What do you mean?

I know the album immediate after "Achtung Baby" was much different than any previous stuff. More electronic really.

But they quickly reverted back to normal mode after this. All of their recent album sound like old U2 (for the most part). I think you may be missing out. Have you heard "All that You Can't Leave Behind" yet?

I didnt like the atomic at all. The albums after War - Joshua and Achtung - were more slick but still had some grit to them - i dont hear that anymore.

Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I like War.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

I love the 80's U2. nothing else after that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 8:18 pm

I like all their early stuff. Achtung Baby had a few good songs but they went down hill in the 90's.

Favorites are:

1. War
2. October
3. Unforgetable Fire
4. Joshua Tree
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Like songs here and there.....I only own "The Joshua Tree" on vinyl.

They have had a long run, thats for sure

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:36 am

I never cared for them but my wife is a big fan. And they can still fill huge stadiums. They just played in Philly last week to a crowd of 76,000. They're obviously doing something right.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I never cared for them but my wife is a big fan. And they can still fill huge stadiums. They just played in Philly last week to a crowd of 76,000. They're obviously doing something right.

They also sold out the "new" Giants Stadium here in NJ last week, to the tune of 80 thousand people. Not bad.

I've never been much more than a casual fan of U2, I know their radio stuff but that's about all. I like it fine but have never bothered to dig any deeper.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 am

The sold out Busch Stadium here a couple weekends ago too. And people stood on that aluminum platform thing they set up in 100 degree heat.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:52 am

Huge fanboy...not a bad album in the bunch...the LAST of the stadium filling rock acts...all the haters can bite me.

Very Happy

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Who be hatin'? I thought I was paying them a compliment? U2 436688

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 pm

They just did the impossible, they surpassed the Rolling Stones touring record:

U2 on stage in São Paulo, Brazil, during their 360° tour, which has become the highest grossing on record. Photograph: Nelson Almeida/AFP/Getty Images
It takes 120 lorries to transport, has a 50-metre tall sound system and cost more than any tour in the history of music. But it appears that U2's 360° extravaganza was worth the investment as it has become the highest grossing tour ever, beating the record set by the Rolling Stones.

The Irish band's first tour in three years, which kicked off in June 2009 at Barcelona's Camp Nou stadium, made it past the $558m (£341m) world record after their concert in São Paulo, Brazil, with 20 more gigs to go. The Stones pulled in $558m (£341m) for their Bigger Bang tour between 2005 and 2007.

By the time the U2 tour ends this July, the band will have played to more than 3 million fans in more than three dozen cities around the world and will have made an estimated $700m.

U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, said he and the band were proud of the tour. "That dollar figure for the gross looks enormous," he said. "Of course I can't tell you what the net is, but I can tell you that the band spend enormous sums on production for their audience. Fans all over the world agree that a ticket to U2 360° is good value for money."

Estimated to have cost more than $100m, 360° was already set to be the band's most expensive tour, with the transportation of the stage alone estimated to cost $750,000 a day whether or not the band played. It was projected to gross $750m by the end of 2010, eclipsing takings from the 2005-06 Vertigo tour, which earned U2 $389m.

The 360° tour kicked off in typically extravagant style, with a dramatic mid-show live link-up to the International Space Station – but it hit the buffers in May 2010 when lead man Bono seriously injured his back while in training for the shows.

The singer underwent emergency surgery to prevent possible paralysis and, in a further blow to the band and its fans, U2 were forced to cancel their appearance at Glastonbury in June 2010, where they were expected to headline as part of the festival's 40th anniversary celebrations.

But there have been few other hitches since U2 resumed the tour in Europe last year. More than 7m tickets have been sold for 110 shows. Each gig, which packs in 63,000, takes $6.4m (£3.9m), according to Billboard Boxscore.

It is an astonishing achievement in a climate that has seen the live music sector shrink since the economic downturn, said Greg Parmley, editor of IQ, the live music magazine.

"The U2 tour has smashed previous records, and especially when you consider the backdrop they are working against, that is a major achievement," he said.

There are some acts, such as U2 and Lady Gaga, that can still attract fans by the millions, despite high ticket prices, he added. "There are a handful of gold ticket acts out there that are more popular than ever, which has to be a good thing for the industry."

Tours throughout the world have stuttered since the economic slowdown, with ticket sales dropping 12% in north America last year, Parmley said, and most bands are only able to dream of success on U2's scale.

"It is getting harder for the mid-range band, and we are seeing a gap developing between the real premier league artists and the mid-table and new bands," he said.

U2's desire to play Glastonbury – a gig that the festival's founder, Michael Eavis, has been trying to arrange for 27 years – will finally be realised this June, when they headline the Pyramid stage on Friday 24 June at Worthy Farm in Pilton, Somerset.

The band's mammoth tour will finish soon after – on 30 July at the Magnetic Hill music festival in Moncton, Canada, where they will be supported by Arcade Fire.

Top 10 highest-grossing tours
U2 360° (expected) 2009-11 $700m

The Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang 2005-07 $558.2m

AC/DC Black Ice World 2008-10 $441.1m

Madonna Sticky & Sweet 2008-09 $408m

This record will hold, til the Stones kick off their next tour sometime 2012
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that about their latest tour. Cool. I sure wish I could see them live sometime.

Shawn what are your top 5 fave albums?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. Achtung Baby
5. Pop
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. Achtung Baby
5. Pop

U2 29150
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39504

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Meh ,never cared for them at all besides a song here and there.Just could never get into them. Evreyone around here's getting out the rubber gloves and KY jelly because they're performing at Heinz Field tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I can say I am not a fan but then I have 2 actual albums by them and a GH so I guess I am a semi casual fan Stuff I got is

Best of 1980-1990 (2 disk set)
War
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Favorite songs:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Dancing Barefoot (B-side)
In the Name Of Love
Vertigo
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Numb
Hold me, Thrill Me, Kill me

im sure i might have forgotten one or two
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I only like the first 3 albums, and the first live LP.

The song Beautiful Day was great, but I wasn't willing to take a chance on buying the album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:14 pm

manny wrote:
They just did the impossible, they surpassed the Rolling Stones touring record:

U2 on stage in São Paulo, Brazil, during their 360° tour, which has become the highest grossing on record. Photograph: Nelson Almeida/AFP/Getty Images
It takes 120 lorries to transport, has a 50-metre tall sound system and cost more than any tour in the history of music. But it appears that U2's 360° extravaganza was worth the investment as it has become the highest grossing tour ever, beating the record set by the Rolling Stones.

The Irish band's first tour in three years, which kicked off in June 2009 at Barcelona's Camp Nou stadium, made it past the $558m (£341m) world record after their concert in São Paulo, Brazil, with 20 more gigs to go. The Stones pulled in $558m (£341m) for their Bigger Bang tour between 2005 and 2007.

By the time the U2 tour ends this July, the band will have played to more than 3 million fans in more than three dozen cities around the world and will have made an estimated $700m.

U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, said he and the band were proud of the tour. "That dollar figure for the gross looks enormous," he said. "Of course I can't tell you what the net is, but I can tell you that the band spend enormous sums on production for their audience. Fans all over the world agree that a ticket to U2 360° is good value for money."

Estimated to have cost more than $100m, 360° was already set to be the band's most expensive tour, with the transportation of the stage alone estimated to cost $750,000 a day whether or not the band played. It was projected to gross $750m by the end of 2010, eclipsing takings from the 2005-06 Vertigo tour, which earned U2 $389m.

The 360° tour kicked off in typically extravagant style, with a dramatic mid-show live link-up to the International Space Station – but it hit the buffers in May 2010 when lead man Bono seriously injured his back while in training for the shows.

The singer underwent emergency surgery to prevent possible paralysis and, in a further blow to the band and its fans, U2 were forced to cancel their appearance at Glastonbury in June 2010, where they were expected to headline as part of the festival's 40th anniversary celebrations.

But there have been few other hitches since U2 resumed the tour in Europe last year. More than 7m tickets have been sold for 110 shows. Each gig, which packs in 63,000, takes $6.4m (£3.9m), according to Billboard Boxscore.

It is an astonishing achievement in a climate that has seen the live music sector shrink since the economic downturn, said Greg Parmley, editor of IQ, the live music magazine.

"The U2 tour has smashed previous records, and especially when you consider the backdrop they are working against, that is a major achievement," he said.

There are some acts, such as U2 and Lady Gaga, that can still attract fans by the millions, despite high ticket prices, he added. "There are a handful of gold ticket acts out there that are more popular than ever, which has to be a good thing for the industry."

Tours throughout the world have stuttered since the economic slowdown, with ticket sales dropping 12% in north America last year, Parmley said, and most bands are only able to dream of success on U2's scale.

"It is getting harder for the mid-range band, and we are seeing a gap developing between the real premier league artists and the mid-table and new bands," he said.

U2's desire to play Glastonbury – a gig that the festival's founder, Michael Eavis, has been trying to arrange for 27 years – will finally be realised this June, when they headline the Pyramid stage on Friday 24 June at Worthy Farm in Pilton, Somerset.

The band's mammoth tour will finish soon after – on 30 July at the Magnetic Hill music festival in Moncton, Canada, where they will be supported by Arcade Fire.

Top 10 highest-grossing tours
U2 360° (expected) 2009-11 $700m

The Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang 2005-07 $558.2m

AC/DC Black Ice World 2008-10 $441.1m

Madonna Sticky & Sweet 2008-09 $408m

This record will hold, til the Stones kick off their next tour sometime 2012

I'm surprised Metallica didn't make the list. They always seem to sell out wherever they go. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

U2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: U2   U2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

U2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: