Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Spiders

Go down 
+11
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
manny
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
Thrasher73
Mglaffas81
Smindas
tohostudios
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Well, sleazeroxx review of the debut full length by Black Spiders said
Quote :
The UK's Black Spiders have been pilfering and reimagining Mr. Iommi's back catalogue (his first four albums in particular) for a couple of years now, releasing three excellent EP's and now Sons Of The North, their first full length album. The first batch of tracks from the EP's featured cover versions of AC/DC's "Kicked In The Teeth" and Motorhead's "No Class", so that should also shed some light on which particular musical page this lot are on.

I definitely hear Iommi in the guitar riffs on this album. Some of the songs are downright sludgy. Here's my favorite track; it's more poppy than a lot of the songs on the album but the lyrics are funny and the chorus is catchy.

Back to top Go down

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:13 pm

That sounds quite fun, I dig it!

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Here's another one. These guys are definitely mining the "retro-70s" vein a la Wolfmother.

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Good stuff. They would fit nicely playing with any of the Swedish retro crowd...or opening up for someone like The Sword.

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 pm

These guys are an absolutely cracking band. I first saw them open for The Wildhearts back in '09 and they blew me away. Caught them at Sonisphere again this weekend and they stormed through a great set. They've got that retro vibe certainly, but they're a lot heavier than bands like Wolfmother and The Sword - at least to my ears. The debut album is good fun, my favourite track probably also being 'KISS Tried To Kill Me' like Toho. It's just ballsy hard rock / heavy metal, with a keen sense of self-awareness. What's not to like?

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 pm

I would probably enjoy seeing these guys live more than spinning the album. This type of music only really works for me in a live setting, with the energy of the band, the volume and the crowd.

I feel the same way about any "straight-ahead" hard rock/metal band, I need the atmosphere of the gig to really sell the whole package to me. Basically if the music is in any way "party rock", then I only want to hear it "at" a party or a club.

For home listening I gravitate towards different styles. Not a dis against the band at all.

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 5:28 am

Yeah, I take your point. There's something a bit more enticing about these guys live than on record. Still, I can't fault their album either.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 am

Sounds great! Nice to hear some new hard rocking songs to rock out to!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 am

I Like it,gotta pick this up.Im digging all this nod to the old school.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 am

Great music indeed
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 am

Yea, I like what I'm hearing from these guys too. I've put them on the want-list, just gotta find it for a decent price.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Toho, have you picked up Sons of the North at a decent price?This one is high on my priority list but I havent seen it anywhere under $15.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:08 pm

That's about what I paid. $14.87 plus shipping.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I guess it's about time for a retro-binge, haven't done one for awhile. I picked up Black Spiders Sons of The North, along with the latest from Rival Sons, Black Stone Cherry, Black Country Communion, Motorjesus, and Fireball Ministry. I'll need to get the muffler in my truck fixed though so I can hear them.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 am

The new Rival Sons is great. Meaty '70s riffs and phenomenal vocals - those lads know what they're doing.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 am

One of the many bands that are being championed by Classic Rock Magazine, heard a couple of tracks and dig it
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:26 am

Bump for some new info...

Their album Sons of the North is getting an official North American release on April 17th, so that should bring the price down. No more fancy-schmancy import prices for this guy.

And their 2 previous eps, No Goats in the Omen and Cinco Hombres are being combined and released as a single album (Volume) with a coupla bonus tracks tacked on as well. No release date for that yet, but it should be soon. It may be out in Europe already.

EDIT: According to Amazon, Volume will be released on April 17th as well. It's a cd/dvd combo. Music on one, videos on the other.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks for the info MG
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

manny wrote:
Thanks for the info MG

No problem. These guys have been on my radar for awhile now, but their stuff was a little too pricey for me. Hopefully I can pick up their stuff for a reasonable price now. I hate going over my usual $10 price cap for an "unknown" band.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Thanks for the info MG

No problem. These guys have been on my radar for awhile now, but their stuff was a little too pricey for me. Hopefully I can pick up their stuff for a reasonable price now. I hate going over my usual $10 price cap for an "unknown" band.

Like most new bands I discovered it was thru Classic Rock Magazine's free CD sampler then give it each month, and thought they sounded great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 am

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
Thanks for the info MG

Like most new bands I discovered it was thru Classic Rock Magazine's free CD sampler then give it each month, and thought they sounded great.

Yup. Same here. And they got the Toho stamp of approval too. Wink

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

Listened to a couple clips on Amazon, they remind of me of a heavier Hellacopters...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Listened to a couple clips on Amazon, they remind of me of a heavier Hellacopters...

Perfect description, I had not thought of that til I read your description
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 am

Digging this and so glad you linked that they are coming down in price. List too long, money too small.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 am

I have Sons of The North and the No Goats In The Omen EP. They are a great, rock ribbed, rock band with loads of hooks and just plain fun songs. The heavier Hellacopters comparison is a good one.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Black Spiders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Spiders   Black Spiders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Spiders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next