Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time

Go down 
+18
dark avenger
mr.electric39
Sutekh
metalhead777
DallasBlack
Cognitive Dissonance
krokus
Olafsto
speed101
Jesusandmetal23
kmorg
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
James B.
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
SpectreFate
Temple of Blood
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Empty
PostSubject: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:37 pm

That is my conclusion.

They didn't release many songs or play any shows, which pretty much explains their lack of widespread acceptance but what they did was outstanding.

Bill Tsamis's guitar riffing/melodies are wonderfully "metal" while being equally classical in nature. Mark Zonder is one of the rare drummers who brings adds to the magic and epic-ness of the songs instead of merely playing along. His playing reminds me of Cozy Powell crossed with Neil Peart.

The reunion album "Rising out of the Ashes" has some great moments but is brought down a notch by Cans' somewhat uninspired vocal performance. He sounds like he is not connecting on an emotional level with what he is singing, although he is for the most part relatively competent.

Hoping for another studio album, or at least some U.S. shows before I die ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

if this is the "Deliver Us From Evil" band, then I've never understood the fascination. They were pretty forgettable at the time.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

I downloaded their stuff and actually deleted it after listening to it all over a couple of days. Didn't work for me. I thought they were 3rd rate 80's metal at best.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I like them. I was a fan when their albums first came out on Metal Blade back in the 80's. I had "And The Cannons Of Destruction Have Begun' on vinyl. Sooooo wish I still had it.

They seem to have this small cult status now for die-hards who hold them in very high regard. Personally, there are several 1980's Metal Blade bands that didn't receive their due that I hold in higher regard such as Cirith Ungol, Savage Grace and Nasty Savage.

I didn't care for Bill Tsamis' Lordian Guard at all. Owned both of their CDs and eventually traded them off.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm

The "Tr00 arcane steele" cult seems to worship 'em but other than an odd track here and there on a compilation I don't believe I've ever heard much of their material.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
if this is the "Deliver Us From Evil" band, then I've never understood the fascination. They were pretty forgettable at the time.

Same band.

You think "Deliver Us From Evil" or "Child of the Damned" are forgettable songs?

I could see certain criticisms, but "forgettable"?

Those songs are certainly more memorable than the average Opeth tune, although I am not saying they don't have their own unique merits.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:00 pm

I enjoyed the tunes they had on the Metal Massacre lps. I did however get into Ciruth Ungol, Nasty Savage and especially Savage Grace alot more.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

ultmetal wrote:
They seem to have this small cult status now for die-hards who hold them in very high regard. Personally, there are several 1980's Metal Blade bands that didn't receive their due that I hold in higher regard such as Cirith Ungol, Savage Grace and Nasty Savage.

CU and SG I need to listen to more, but NS to me really has not done anything to blow me away like WARLORD has. NS to me are very unmemorable. What are your top 5 favorite NS songs?

Quote :
I didn't care for Bill Tsamis' Lordian Guard at all. Owned both of their CDs and eventually traded them off.

Hated that stuff too, but when those basic songs were re-done in 2002 with the full "real" band some of them sounded amazing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:04 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I downloaded their stuff and actually deleted it after listening to it all over a couple of days. Didn't work for me. I thought they were 3rd rate 80's metal at best.

Maybe that is one of the hazards of d/l-ing metal ... that it doesn't have time to absorb.

I liked this band when I first heard them but it took me time to love them (like my love for FATES WARNING).

I can't think of many traditional metal bands that I think are superior to WARLORD. Maybe a dozen or two max. Certainly not garbage like SYMPHONY X or whatever is lauded in most circles these days.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Maybe that is one of the hazards of d/l-ing metal ... that it doesn't have time to absorb.

I liked this band when I first heard them but it took me time to love them (like my love for FATES WARNING).

I can't think of many traditional metal bands that I think are superior to WARLORD. Maybe a dozen or two max. Certainly not garbage like SYMPHONY X or whatever is lauded in most circles these days.

I thought I'd love them. I like 99% of the early Metal Blade roster, but this particular band was missing something. That "something" is whatever FW has on their classic MB albums. ATG and TSW sound just as fresh today as when I first heard them around '87.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Certainly not garbage like SYMPHONY X or whatever is lauded in most circles these days.

I don't even know who that is. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Quote :

Temple of Blood wrote:
Certainly not garbage like SYMPHONY X or whatever is lauded in most circles these days.

I don't even know who that is. Smile

Go download some and tell us what you think. Wink

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:30 pm

A few Nasty Savage songs, off the top of my head...
XXX (the song that made me a fan. I believe it was on a Metal Massacre release)
Stabbed in the Back
Abstract Reality
Psychopath
No Sympathy

I don't know, I just tend to like their albums as a whole a lot. It's not just the riffs, or the songwriting, it's the combination of everything. Nasty Ronnie's vocals were so cool, plus they were one of the early speed metal bands that I got into. Might be nostalgia considering I got into them rather early, as I did Warlord, Cirith Ungol, Fates Warning, Savage Grace, Armored Saint, etc. Another one that I forgot about until just now that I use to dig a lot was Pandemonium.

Now I gotta put on some NS. Good thing I have some on my iPod. headbanger

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I have the Best of Warlord compilation which I think has all of their Metal Blade tracks on it. I haven't listened to it in years but I will check it out this weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:58 pm

I haven't actually listened to Warlord in quite some time as well. Might have to dig that CD out and give it a fresh spin.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 4:24 am

Their albums are so hard to come by these days.

If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 4:50 am

SpectreFate wrote:

Pretty much my exact story...
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 am

I like them a lot.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Hard to say if they are the most underrated, a lot of great bands are underrated, but Warlord are for sure in my top 10. All their songs are pure gold IMO, don`t understand the forgettable and meh reaction here, but to each their own...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I agree, one of the best US METAL bands ever, i love them!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 pm

So I pulled out "The Best of Warlord" and gave it a fresh spin today. It's a good classic metal album. It's just one of those underrated gems from the early Metal Blade years.

The production is very drum heavy with the guitars buried and the keys sometimes drowning out the guitars. It's fairly obvious a drummer mixed this album. The vocals are good, though not terrible charismatic. The music overall is melodic, moody, dark and fairly heavy for it's time. I love the song "Children of the Damned", but to be honest I like Hammerfall's version better than the original.

Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:39 pm

WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time 41sIrdQc84L._SL500_AA300_

This Warlord is very good, also.

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Foe-Hammer-Warlord/dp/B00000J81L/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1310690216&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 pm

If I remember correctly I got Deliver Us From Evil right around the same time as Trouble's debut (retitled Psalm 9 later)...the Trouble record didn't leave my turntable for months and the Warlord collected dust...until I eventually sold it.

I had moved away from the "classic metal" sound within a year and was focusing on thrash and doom.

I never really re-acquired a taste for classic metal. I still liked Priest and Maiden and a few other bands, but when I revisit the 80's now that's usually not the style I gravitate towards.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Your opinion, but as far as I'm conserned, Symphony X is certainly NOT garbage.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Have to say I dont agree. I had a little interest but soon found they were a pretty generic band for the genre.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 am

kmorg wrote:
Their albums are so hard to come by these days.

They are. I like Warlord a lot. They had a lot of atmosphere for fairly sparse production, but the riffing and drumming is what makes it stand out for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time   WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WARLORD - most underrated traditional metal act of all-time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next