Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to for metal?

Go down 
+10
Approval Guy
bassman
Wargod
Nico
SpectreFate
krokus
Gilbert
kmorg
Wurthless
Alex Dee Rokket
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Where to for metal? Empty
PostSubject: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 am

Here we are, a decade later after the resurgence of heavy metal both in Europe and US - many bands that I got into back in the late 90s have now drawn a larger fanbase, better produced albums and numerous world tours - so my question is, given the variety of styles that have come onto the metal scene in the last 10 - 15 years, where do you see metal going? what sort of bands and styles do you guys anticipate we will see in the ensuing decade?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:23 am

I really hope there will be more Traditional metal bands in vein of Cauldron, Holy Grail, and White Wizzard. I would also like to see Queensryche record a DANG METAL ALBUM! i hate the direction they took. I also hope society realizes Nu-metal is not the best torch holder for metal, it seems like any time I mention metal to my friends, their reply is usually like this," By metal, what do you mean? like Slipknot, or \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", or Paramore?"
Followed by a "Oh My God, did you really say that" and me storming off. Oh, dang this has turned into quite the rant. Sorry! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 am

I think we're already seeing quite a large branching out of styles in both "metal" and other "heavy" genres. I'm quite pleased with the number of newer, interesting bands putting out material.

The ability of bands to self-produce albums without the threat of outside interference from producers/labels has created the "opportunity" for a real powder keg of creativity to ignite (not unlike the heady days of the late 60's/early 70's, before the labels had to pre-package everything into neat little demographic pockets). Risks are being taken again, genre lines blurring, old sounds are being put together in new ways, it's cool.

Now, just because the situation might be right, doesn't mean that bands will pick up that gauntlet and create music that both satisfies from the artistic perspective AND is able to generate record sales...but I'm going to stay optimistic.

The one benefit of niche music like metal (and jazz and prog rock) is that despite the comings and goings of "what's hot and what's not", there is a built-in fanbase who really doesn't care what the popular trends are. They love the music, they live for it...that passion is what separates us from the "disposable music generation".

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 3:50 am

Since it all goes in circles, I predict the return of death metal next.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 4:14 am

kmorg wrote:
Since it all goes in circles, I predict the return of death metal next.

I hope so. Good old death metal headbanger
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 4:29 am

}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:
I really hope there will be more Traditional metal bands in vein of Cauldron, Holy Grail, and White Wizzard. I would also like to see Queensryche record a DANG METAL ALBUM! i hate the direction they took. I also hope society realizes Nu-metal is not the best torch holder for metal, it seems like any time I mention metal to my friends, their reply is usually like this," By metal, what do you mean? like Slipknot, or \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", or Paramore?"
Followed by a "Oh My God, did you really say that" and me storming off. Oh, dang this has turned into quite the rant. Sorry! lol!

I hope to see all those glory NWOTHM bands getting stronger and stronger every day, thats why we should by their cds, lps, t shirts go and see them live etc..they are the future of heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 am

Whatever it is, lets hope that accordians aren't involved.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 am

krokus wrote:
}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:

I hope to see all those glory NWOTHM bands getting stronger and stronger every day, thats why we should by their cds, lps, t shirts go and see them live etc..they are the future of heavy metal.

Ever listened to these bands?

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 10:21 am

I don't think the resurgence of metal in the US is that big, to me it moved a little bit. But in Europe and everywhere in the world it has grown, but the US is still caught up in pop culture music, hip hop, rap, cuntry music scene.

Be nice if it would take of again.

Wargod52.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 am

I think a lot of bands are not as afraid to display their influences in their music again. For a while there, it seemed like everything had to be totally new and unique and you weren't really supposed to compare it to anything that came before. Now, with the resurgence of old-school thrash and a lot of bands bringing back some traditional metal sound in their songwriting, bands aren't afraid to say " Yeah, we were influenced by Black Sabbath or Slayer or Exodus or Iron Maiden or whoever else".
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 11:51 am

Wargod48 wrote:
I don't think the resurgence of metal in the US is that big, to me it moved a little bit. But in Europe and everywhere in the world it has grown, but the US is still caught up in pop culture music, hip hop, rap, cuntry music scene.

Be nice if it would take of again.

Wargod52.

Dude, I've been into metal since '01-'02 and I have seen it getting bigger since I got into it. When I went to concerts in high school, I didn't see a lot of people my age at these shows. I'm 23 now and at the last several shows I've been to, I've met plenty of people younger than me. It's still hard to find people into metal at college and stuff, but younger die-hard metal fans are definitely out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I have 2 older friends that were never really into metal in the first place (they are both in their mid-50's). They were fans of jazz and progressive rock and had pretty much given up on finding new "rock" that they would be interested in.

I decided to try and hip them to Porcupine Tree and Opeth. I had a feeling they would dig PT, but Opeth I figured would be a hard sell due to the vocals.

Now, a year later, they both own the entire catalogs of both bands and they are always asking for more stuff in that vein.

I'm sure they would happily go to an Opeth show if they came through town.

To me, that's very cool, to re-ignite an interest in heavy rock music in people that hadn't listened to anything remotely heavy since the 70's.

Back to top Go down
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:22 pm

I think what's left of metal's mainstream exposure will fade out pretty soon, when all the main bands start to retire: Black Sabbath are basically retired, Priest are retiring and other bands like Maiden and Megadeth have made it clear that they don't plan on continuing for more than a few years.

The "metal" thats popular with teenagers is really more of a fad than anything and it will soon be diluted down until it has no traditional maetal influance left. Avenged Sevenfold are a good example of this in progress, they are essencially a pop rock group with a metal guitar and drum sound.

Metal will become a niche genre like jazz, classical and blues with a underground following of hardcore fans and a focus on the music of the golden age of metal (1970 - 90'ish). There will be a steady flow of underground bands playing in the traditional styles. We can see this already happening with all these "new waves" with nothing "new" about them.

As much fun as it is to be optimistic about these new bands rekindling the glory days, it's really not happening. Name one new wave of thrash band that compares to 80's Metallica either popualrity wise or in music quality. Do the same with Iron Maiden and the NWOTM. It just dosen't compare.

Metal as a mainstream or semi-mainstream genre is about to run it's course for good, at least that's what I think.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:40 pm

A better question is where to for music in general ? Any resurgence that may or may not take place for metal stateside will HAVE to coincide with what else is going on. Big tours of America are a thing of the past in reagrds to metal music. Being that touring is where the $ is, that trend tells a story in itself.

Myself....I'd like to see things return to an underground scens thriving with musicians doing what they want for the sake of making/playing music as opposed to trying to be millioaires or follow any trends. This can happen, being that the music industry as whole has killed itself by failing to change.

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 pm

James B. wrote:

Myself....I'd like to see things return to an underground scens thriving with musicians doing what they want for the sake of making/playing music as opposed to trying to be millioaires or follow any trends. This can happen, being that the music industry as whole has killed itself by failing to change.

Exactly. In fact, I think we're already there. The quality music being made right now is primarily self-produced. I've also seen a rise in the number of artists who retain ownership of their masters and all rights to their music, then license a label to distribute it for them. That's how it should be.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 pm

James B. wrote:
A better question is where to for music in general ? Any resurgence that may or may not take place for metal stateside will HAVE to coincide with what else is going on. Big tours of America are a thing of the past in reagrds to metal music. Being that touring is where the $ is, that trend tells a story in itself.

That is what pisses me off about the "Big 4" and their disregard for the American audience. It's like the old Sam Kinison bit, where Sam talks about Russia's economic free fall and how their citizens are starving under this new government that has dropped communism for democratic principles. America's proposal for tough economic times, "Here's a McDonalds". I feel like we (in the USA) are getting the shaft big time, as we are the ONE McDonalds. We have FOUR AMERICAN thrash pioneers, and we get ONE f*cking show! Supposedly the venue which was a polo grounds facility could house 55,000. I heard the show was not sold out, yet they still brought in right around 50,000. That's not bad in my estimation.

Stealing from "Field of Dreams". Play in other cities, and people will come...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 pm

I don't go to big shows anymore because I refuse to pay the RIDICULOUS amounts of money they want for tickets.

RUSH is one of my favorite bands, they are playing here in Austin next month. But the cheapest tickets were $65 and the good seats started around $90.

I'm not paying that much for a concert. Just not happening.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:

That is what pisses me off about the "Big 4" and their disregard for the American audience. It's like the old Sam Kinison bit, where Sam talks about Russia's economic free fall and how their citizens are starving under this new government that has dropped communism for democratic principles. America's proposal for tough economic times, "Here's a McDonalds". I feel like we (in the USA) are getting the shaft big time. We have FOUR AMERICAN thrash pioneers, and we get ONE f*cking show! Supposedly the venue which was a polo grounds facility could house 55,000. I heard the show was not sold out, yet they still brought in right around 50,000. That's not bad in my estimation.

Stealing from "Field of Dreams". Play in other cities, and people will come...

I'd wager as to why is this ? Indio is kinda/sorta out in "bumfukegipt" and far away from big cities where they have union policies and practices in place for the running and operation of the venue. (I could be mistaken) To take the tour national would have the promoters paying extra costs for union wages and less money to me made by them. This is why tix cost so much in major markets and why you see companies that sell tix also owning the arena or ampitheater.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Nico wrote:
krokus wrote:
}{Iron~Maiden~}{ wrote:

Ever listened to these bands?

DARK FOREST i only have a song by them on a compilation but METAL INQUISITOR is one of my fave bands. I see them live and have their albums (i am following them since their first 7"single). They are great!!!!!!!! Thanksssssssss.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 pm

I really like Metal Inquisitor's first album, and the second is pretty good, I still don't own the third one though. It seems to be a little hard to find here in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
Jessrox
Metal novice
Metal novice
Jessrox

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 6:00 pm

I think if metalcore or hardcore metal bands would lose the wore out tired same o same vox thay would become set apart and more recognizable and flat out rule! Bands like war of ages and a million others like them if they didn't do the hardcore vox all the time and actually sing. I think that is the way to go. Because there are so many talented metalcore bands that rip, but the vox get old so fast I have to fast forward. but the music is flat out killer!
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Approval Guy wrote:
I think what's left of metal's mainstream exposure will fade out pretty soon, when all the main bands start to retire: Black Sabbath are basically retired, Priest are retiring and other bands like Maiden and Megadeth have made it clear that they don't plan on continuing for more than a few years.

The "metal" thats popular with teenagers is really more of a fad than anything and it will soon be diluted down until it has no traditional maetal influance left. Avenged Sevenfold are a good example of this in progress, they are essencially a pop rock group with a metal guitar and drum sound.

Metal will become a niche genre like jazz, classical and blues with a underground following of hardcore fans and a focus on the music of the golden age of metal (1970 - 90'ish). There will be a steady flow of underground bands playing in the traditional styles. We can see this already happening with all these "new waves" with nothing "new" about them.

As much fun as it is to be optimistic about these new bands rekindling the glory days, it's really not happening. Name one new wave of thrash band that compares to 80's Metallica either popualrity wise or in music quality. Do the same with Iron Maiden and the NWOTM. It just dosen't compare.

Metal as a mainstream or semi-mainstream genre is about to run it's course for good, at least that's what I think.

Sadly I think you nailed this! Words of wisdom here. I agree when the creators of this genre retire or leave this world (Dio) and the well has been closed, I think it will fade away. The only other thing I think kills this chance is all the stealing of music has killed the biz so much that money is not made today like it used to. Including concerts, I remember how big a deal it was to many people 20 years back if someone was coming through our city, but now the hype is zilch. Just another sign of this progression you mention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to for metal?   Where to for metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to for metal?
Page 1 of 1