Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)

Go down 
+7
MetalGuy71
akeldama
MusicTilDeath
Wargod
rattpoison
stepcousin
manny
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Empty
PostSubject: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Free one of my favorite bands of all time, thanks to Spec bringing up the great Paul Rodgers my mind went back to his first band. Teenagers at the time of their debut 'Tons of Sob' , the band featured one of the greatest voices in rock history Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff one of the coolest, underrated guitartist who left us much too soon, bassist Andy Frasher who laid down some of greatest basslines in blues/rock vein and the laid back Simon Kirke.

Sounding like hardened bluesmen than a band barely out of their teens this band managed to record a number of classics 'Wishing Well' 'Catch a Train' and of course 'All Right Now', all featuring Paul Kossoff 's playing that at times could make you weep and convey more emotion in one note than a mountain of Yngwie clones could in a dozen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Lord, I hope this thread doesn't make me go broke. I've been trying to forget how much I liked Tons of Sobs, so I don't go and buy their discography. No

I was blown away by Tons of Sobs, BTW. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:40 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Lord, I hope this thread doesn't make me go broke. I've been trying to forget how much I liked Tons of Sobs, so I don't go and buy their discography. No

I was blown away by Tons of Sobs, BTW. Smile

Great band have most of their discography on vinyl and reminds me I need to upgrade my collection, I am glad you liked it I knew you would, just a killer killer band
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:42 pm

There's a subtlety to Free that is missing from most of the other British blues bands on the time. It's hard to describe, but it's basically stripping away all the fat and anything unnecessary and leaving just the "essence". They trick you into thinking it's simple, but their music has layer after layer.

Rodgers & the understated guitar mastermind that was Paul Kossoff were also accompanied by one of the very best rhythm sections in rock.

Sorry Spec, but Tons Of Sobs is just tip of the iceberg. Their next two records "Free" and "Fire & Water" achieve a level only hinted at on the debut.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:07 am

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I cant really add to it. Paul Rodgers is one of my favorites of all time. I know this is about Free but I gotta say the first time I heard him sing "Seagull" on the "Live In Albuquerque 1976" album by BC with just him, a mic, and an acoustic I was blown away by just the power and grace of his voice. God blessed that man with pipes that even in his 60's (see Queen Live + Paul Rodgers") are still better than most vocalists ever had in their 20's or 30's.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:40 am

Free proves that old adage "Less Is More"......lots of space, stripped down and not to busy. But everyone shines.

My fave is probably Highway, not sure why but i think it's the more acoustic nature of it. I think enhanced further for me by the fact my beloved Faces covered "The Stealer" and the elegiac Epic Soundtracks who covered "Sunny Day"......two of my fave covers ever and both originally coming from Highway.

Gimme a stack of Humble Pie, Faces and Free records.....that's all you need.....rock n' soul.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 am

Free rawks and with Paul Kossoff on guitar to me he epitomizes the blues rock sound of that era. His solo material is as equally great although kinda spendy to buy.

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am

rattpoison wrote:
Free proves that old adage "Less Is More"......lots of space, stripped down and not to busy. But everyone shines.

100% accurate.

"It's not the notes, it's the space BETWEEN the notes that's important" - Thelonious Monk

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I'd also like to recommend this Paul Rodgers solo album that doesn't get the credit it deserves:

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) F51581d74cm

Not every song works, but the majority do...and the roster of guest guitarists is pretty damn impressive - Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour, Brian May, Gary Moore, Trevor Rabin, Neil Schon, Brian Setzer, Slash, etc...
Back to top Go down
MusicTilDeath
Metal novice
Metal novice
MusicTilDeath

Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Free is great. All Right Now has one of the greatest riffs of all time. It was also used in that commerical.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Free is a great band, Paul Rodgers' voice was great at this point in his career. When he was in Bad Co. he underutilized his voice a lot IMO. Chris Robinson reminds me a lot of Free era Paul Rodgers especially on The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion ,Amorica, and Three Snakes And One Charm.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 am

akeldama wrote:
Chris Robinson reminds me a lot of Free era Paul Rodgers especially on The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion ,Amorica, and Three Snakes And One Charm.

Yeah although Robinson has a bit more of a Steve Marriott thing going on.......but it's all relative since Marriott was a big influence on Rodgers.

One guy who combines both Marriott and Rodgers perfectly is Cormac Neeson of the Answer.......

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:03 pm

detuned wrote:
I'd also like to recommend this Paul Rodgers solo album that doesn't get the credit it deserves:

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) F51581d74cm

Not every song works, but the majority do...and the roster of guest guitarists is pretty damn impressive - Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour, Brian May, Gary Moore, Trevor Rabin, Neil Schon, Brian Setzer, Slash, etc...

Is this Paul covering blues standards, specifically Muddy Waters? If so....gimme, gimme, gimme!!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:11 pm

If you are a Paul Rodgers fan, Metalguy you would love it, he covers Muddy Waters songs and few other standard blues numbers, highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 pm

manny wrote:
If you are a Paul Rodgers fan, Metalguy you would love it, he covers Muddy Waters songs and few other standard blues numbers, highly recommended.

I'd say I'm pretty much a casual fan of the man, but I like that line-up of guitarists and the concept of blues cover albums. Paul's vocals would just be icing on the cake. These are studio recordings, right? Looks like I can pick it up pretty cheap on Amazon. Boo-ya!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

I'd say I'm pretty much a casual fan of the man, but I like that line-up of guitarists and the concept of blues cover albums. Paul's vocals would just be icing on the cake. These are studio recordings, right? Looks like I can pick it up pretty cheap on Amazon. Boo-ya!

Studio recordings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:46 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

There is one new song (the title track), the rest are covers of Blues Standards. It's worth getting just to hear Gilmour play on a straight blues tune....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Free set the template for so much to come. Did any 70's band not feel their influence that called themselves rock? Amazing to think about with how young they were.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 1:03 pm

I just got Tons Of Sobs, Heartbreaker, Highway, Live.

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
I just got Tons Of Sobs, Heartbreaker, Highway, Live.

Wargod49

You should definitely pick up Fire & Water.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm

One of the bands my mom got me into when I was little. Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 am

Based on this thread, I did some searching around for Free cd's. It's weird that I didn't recognize any of the album covers or know any songs other than "All Right Now". These guys really seemed to slip under the radar of popular music in the 70's.

I've got Tons of Sobs and that Muddy Waters Tribute album coming to me. From what I read, ToS is more blues-rock than the straight-up rock of their later albums. Looking forward to hearing them both.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Based on this thread, I did some searching around for Free cd's. It's weird that I didn't recognize any of the album covers or know any songs other than "All Right Now". These guys really seemed to slip under the radar of popular music in the 70's.

I've got Tons of Sobs and that Muddy Waters Tribute album coming to me. From what I read, ToS is more blues-rock than the straight-up rock of their later albums. Looking forward to hearing them both.

When you receive them, let us know what you think, I think you will love 'Tons of Sobs' .
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 am

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

When you receive them, let us know what you think, I think you will love 'Tons of Sobs' .

Some reviews I read were comparing ToS to stuff like John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, which I really like. That's why I went with that one over their later material. And why not start at the beginning, right?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Some reviews I read were comparing ToS to stuff like John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, which I really like. That's why I went with that one over their later material. And why not start at the beginning, right?

Very true and it is fair comparson, especially considering that Andy Frasher played with John Mayall prior to joining Free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)   Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free (Paul Rodgers, Paul Kossoff, Andy Frasher, and Simon Kirke)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next