Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...

Go down 
+12
James B.
shamgar75
bassman
nevermore
manny
Wargod
exact33
Stender
Rex
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Empty
PostSubject: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 am

Ouch...not only do kids not want to steal music anymore, but now they don't want to play music-based video games either!

Did you hear that? It's the fat lady, singing her heart out.

Activision released a bombshell today during their latest earnings report by announcing that the once-vaunted Guitar Hero franchise will be unceremoniously put to rest for the forseeable future.

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," the company said in a statement.

It's just the latest bad news to hit the ailing music game genre. The most recent Guitar Hero game, Warriors of Rock, failed to ignite the sales charts, and in December of 2010, media giant Viacom sold off Rock Band developer Harmonix. Just last week, longtime Rock Band publisher MTV Games was officially shut down.

In addition to Guitar Hero, Activision has halted development on its True Crime: Hong Kong action game.

"These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," they explained.

In a conference call, Activision said about 500 employees -- roughly 7% of its work force -- will be laid off by the cancellations.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am

I guess kids were starting to realize that being a master at pretend guitar doesn't make you a master of the real instrument. Razz

It's probably more a case of just overkill of the format. How many versions of those guitar-based games are there? I'm not a gamer, but just like anything that's popular, someone scores a hit and then 50 imitators come out with their own versions and updates. They cram that stuff down the throats of the populace then can't understand why 'Guitar Hero 22: Electric Boogaloo" isn't selling like hotcakes.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am

Well, they super saturated the gaming market with guitar hero and related games. Burn out had to happen at some point.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:35 am

I think alot of the people that played guitar hero originally, switched over to rock band and that put on the brakes for actvisions sales.

But whats with the remark about a failing video game industry? Nintendo found a way to still hook young kids but at the same time have old people buying their sh!t. Videogames are more popular than ever right now.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Rex wrote:
Well, they super saturated the gaming market with guitar hero and related games. Burn out had to happen at some point.

I agree. The novelty wore off.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

exact33 wrote:
Rex wrote:

I agree. The novelty wore off.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the title of this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Now what's going to collect the dust in kids' rooms across America??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyone remember this guy? Wonder what he's going to do now that those oh-so-lucrative "Guitar Hero" professional championships are coming to an end.

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t6695-a-kid-drops-out-of-school?highlight=School

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Read on tues. that iphones, droids are out selling home PC's now. Just goes to show you that most kids now days don't care about music.

Just like music cd sales have dropped in sales over is the same thing with kids interested in fishing/hunting those numbers have also dropped.

It's funny how things go nowdays, if things don't grab you you won't be interested. But with fishing/hunting those drops in numbers are due to parents divorcing.

Not sure why PC's have dropped over the iphones could be accessability in having it with you all the time.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Not surprising really, and I am sure the coke sniffing record label bosses are pining all their hopes on Justin's movie doing well and the next American Idol winner
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm

manny wrote:
Not surprising really, and I am sure the coke sniffing record label bosses are pining all their hopes on Justin's movie doing well and the next American Idol winner

The next American Idol winner will be forgotten by the time the next season starts.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Anyone remember this guy? Wonder what he's going to do now that those oh-so-lucrative "Guitar Hero" professional championships are coming to an end.

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t6695-a-kid-drops-out-of-school?highlight=School

I hear he is going into selling cds Smile

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

So many kids think that being good at Guitar Hero means they can actually play guitar and are quite surprised to find out that it's not the same at all. Maybe there will be a polka revival and the next big video game hit will be Accordion Hero. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Not surprised at all. Guitar Hero got lame after the third one. Rock Band is the way to go!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 pm

bassman wrote:
So many kids think that being good at Guitar Hero means they can actually play guitar and are quite surprised to find out that it's not the same at all. Maybe there will be a polka revival and the next big video game hit will be Accordion Hero. Very Happy

Weird Al would be proud!

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:36 pm

One of our new friends here in Montana have a full quiver of kids (5 for those who are not hip to that particular terminology) Anyways, while visiting us old foggiez decided to play the
rugrats Guitar Hero Game. We sucked Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... 352445 BIG TIME I had fun though.

They got Rock Band for Christmas and the oldest boy (16) thinks he's a drummer. I had him over the other day and let him try to play my kit. He was actually astonished that it was way different than the Rock Band kit. I couldn't resist showing off for him.

He wants lessons but I told him he had to get his grades up and change his attitude or pay me 25 bucks a pop for 1/2 sesions.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am

James B. wrote:
One of our new friends here in Montana have a full quiver of kids (5 for those who are not hip to that particular terminology) Anyways, while visiting us old foggiez decided to play the
rugrats Guitar Hero Game. We sucked Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... 352445 BIG TIME I had fun though.

They got Rock Band for Christmas and the oldest boy (16) thinks he's a drummer. I had him over the other day and let him try to play my kit. He was actually astonished that it was way different than the Rock Band kit. I couldn't resist showing off for him.

I tried to play Rockband and sucked.... I think the problem is when you have played the songs on real instruments, you want to play it how the way it is REALLY played. Not hit red then green then blue then red red red then yellow.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I love the fact that Rock Band and Guitar Hero became hits with the public, since it got many interested in hard rock/metal music, but I knew it would run its course. I think downloading songs from just about every band kind of hurt both of these series. I think it could have had more staying power if practically every song from the big bands wasn't already available.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," the company said in a statement.

That sucks for Devin Townsend. His whole Ziltoid album was going to be on it. It would have gave him some deserved exposure.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 10:48 am

I had Rock Band. I liked it for a few months but it eventually got old when I was the only one playing. I couldn't get enough people to play on a regular basis. Then I got the Metallica Guitar Hero only because King Diamond was in it and I wanted to hear the re-recorded Mercyful Fate songs. Again that only lasted a few months til I got bored with it. The game never really had any staying power. It never offered any new updates or add ons except for Death Magnetic. If there was anymore I have no idea since I stopped playing it.

I eventually sold all of this stuff because it was just boring to me. I rather play my own drums. If I want to play to those songs then I can put the cd on and play with it myself and not have to follow the stupid colored circles on the TV, which sometimes made no sense what so ever.

It was a cool idea but it just got boring.

PostSubject: Re: Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...   Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Activision Axes "Guitar Hero" franchise...
Page 1 of 1