Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How did I miss this ?

Go down 
+5
Dave the Boss
Leatherface
EvyMetal
metalheaded
bassman
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

How did I miss this ? Empty
PostSubject: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Today I got my hands on Fates Warning's CD Perfect Symmetry, which is from way back in 1989. That was an outstanding year for metal, with a lot of absolutely brilliant releases. Also the year I graduated high school.My question is..... HOW THE HECK DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO DISCOVER THIS DISC OF PROGRESSIVE METAL AWESOMENESS!!! ARGH!! I hate it when this stuff happens, I feel like a moron. :geek:
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Been there, man. Once in awhile I'll still discover a band I had no business not knowing about and owning their stuff back in the day.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 am

tastes change
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 4:45 am

Bought it when it first came out. I don't like it as much as No Exit, but good record nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 am

Perfect Symmetry is great. Not their best imo, but it's one of my favorite Alder-era albums.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 am

LOVE it!!!! Wow, what an amazing release. This was the first Fates Warning disc I ever bought
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
LOVE it!!!! Wow, what an amazing release. This was the first Fates Warning disc I ever bought

It's great! I have other CDs by FW I had just never heard this one and couldn't believe I had skipped it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 pm

At least you found it and it's awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 am

That album is a masterpiece! All the instruments on it totally rule.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

It's hard to find, round here.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
That album is a masterpiece! All the instruments on it totally rule.

I completely agree with you, the instruments, vocals, songwriting, and production are all top notch. Absolutely brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 am

AMAZING album!!! I am glad it finally clicked with you...

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 am

I thought I heard they would get back togehter. Anyone know anything?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 11:50 am

TheNazgul wrote:
I thought I heard they would get back togehter. Anyone know anything?

The Parallels lineup did a tour...but that's over.

Current lineup is:

Ray Alder - vocals
Jim Matheos - guitar
Frank Aresti - gutar (touring)
Joey Vera - bass
Bobby Jarzombeck - drums

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 pm

This is the best Alder disc.

I first bought this on cassette for a dollar IIRC. Talk about a great find!

Their later stuff lacks the energy and "rockingness" that this disc had. I think it would be wise to move back in that direction a bit for their forthcoming albums (if they ever do any more).

Zonder sure added a lot to the drums when he joined. It's evidence of how much of a positive impact a great drummer can make in an already good band. His playing in WARLORD was amazing too but I love how he changed his style to fit each bands' material. So many musicians are one-trick ponies.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Before this Arch/Matheos thing started, it was stated that FW were indeed doing a new album...with Jarzombeck on drums...so hopefully that'll happen. Part of me is worried that, with Ray having Redemption now, that this will morph into a Fates Warning reunion with Arch...the lineup on the new Arch/Matheos is the current FW lineup minus Alder...and up until this, they were working on FW.

The stuff after went from really streamlined (Parallels and Inside Out) to really atmospheric (APSoG and Disconnected) to somewhat heavier, but still not as complex (FWX)...

One thing they let go of altogether it seems is guitar solos...but with Aresti back in the fold a bit hopefully they'll find room for them again...

I'l like to see them go somewhere between the recent heaviness of FWX and the complexity of Perfect Symmetry...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Aresti and Matheos trading off solos could definitely help their album be a bit more energetic and interesting.

An Arch reunion would get them some big $$$$ from Europe for a year or so of festival appearances and then they could go back to what they were doing before. Makes sense financially if these guys are living off of music.

They could record a live DVD/CD from it to cash-in even more. You know Metal Blade would be interested.

It might offend Ray but hopefully he would understand that it would be temporary. Arch doesn't want to do any significant touring and I'm not sure he would be welcomed back on a permanent basis by FW's recent fans anyway.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Yeah, they could definitely make some coin off a European tour w/ Arch. Metal Blade would be interested, I'm sure...but FW is on Inside Out now (according to my Metal Blade rep)...so anything new under the FW banner, Inside Out would get first dibs.

I'm sure Ray could find some music to keep him busy. But, as little as these guys tour/play at all, I don't see any of them rearing to get out on the road. Even when they have a new album out, they announce like a dozen tour dates and their done.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 am

I had Disconnected for a while but traded it away, the vocals were killing me. Being used to such high quality vocals from this band I couldn't take the sub-par, pitchy, strained sound on this disc. Some more heaviness mixed with the complexity of Perfect Symmetry would be sweet in a new release. A DVD would be pretty cool, too.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I caught this little tidbit on my download site, thought you might want to check it out bassman.

http://www.mp3fund.com/album.html?id=74220
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm

That's crazy! .81 cents for the whole album, I got robbed at the pawn shop paying 5 bucks for it. Doh!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 am

That site is WAY ILLEGAL.

They steal albums and post the mp3s. Similar sites had our album up too and I didn't give them permission to do so. Ask Stormspell who posts here .... they stole his releases too.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 pm

bassman wrote:
I had Disconnected for a while but traded it away, the vocals were killing me. Being used to such high quality vocals from this band I couldn't take the sub-par, pitchy, strained sound on this disc. Some more heaviness mixed with the complexity of Perfect Symmetry would be sweet in a new release. A DVD would be pretty cool, too.

You are insane...that is all.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Well, I agree with bassman on this one. And the music itself didn't do much for me on "Disconnected" or "X" although I thought APSOG was very good for what it was.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:21 pm

I can see someone not liking the direction of the music...that just is what it is...but to say Ray was pitchy and strained??? No way, says I...

PostSubject: Re: How did I miss this ?   How did I miss this ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did I miss this ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next