Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
leadhead
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 6

Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Empty
PostSubject: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey!
On the back cover of the second release of Aerosmith's first album, (which I bought for 99¢ in the cutout bin, sometime before anyone had heard of them), there was a short bio printed on the back cover that included a mention of one of the band getting busted for weed in his locker! I'd like to read this again, but my copy disappeared somewhere back in the seventies, and I've had no luck finding this text on the internets. I never saw it again on subsequent releases. I assume it was the second release because it had the larger picture on the front.
Does anyone know a web site that has this text, or have a copy of this album, and would be kind enough to reproduce the text for me? TIA!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:36 pm

I have the album. Will check it and post it in a few.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Aero Force Ult to the rescue! Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 pm

"Weed in thier locker"? I think things got way worse by Rock in a Hard Place.... Hell, If I had a locker [or smoked weed], that story would not make my bio.
Back to top Go down
leadhead
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 5:54 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
"Weed in thier locker"? I think things got way worse by Rock in a Hard Place.... Hell, If I had a locker [or smoked weed], that story would not make my bio.

Well, don't forget, it was their first album and they were pretty young. They did ditch that bio pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
leadhead
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 5:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have the album. Will check it and post it in a few.

Awesome, thanks!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 6:06 pm

The question has been raised before. What can a poor boy do, except play for a rock and roll band? For Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford, the answer is, not much else. The similar paths and modes of existence that have led them to form Aerosmith and produce this album link them to the sociological phenomena akin to that which spawned the Rolling Stones, and before that Dion and the Belmonts, and before that, The Dead End Kids. They grew up as aggressive, troublemaking punks with too much uncontrollable energy to sit in the classrooms studying algebra

They came together summers at a place called The Barn, just outside of Sunapee, New Hampshire where they were paid $30 a night to harness their aggressions into music. This was back in 1969, when they ranged in age from 18 to 21. Their basic influences were original English bands, primarily The Yardbirds, and the black soul band that Joey had drummed with. But from the beginning they were third generation rockers with a desire to created something new, rather than be tied consciously to any traditions. The only way they can describe this is as their own "Big Get Off".

I first made contact with Aerosmith when an old friend suggested I come to something called "The Weekly Boogie" wich was held at Boston University. She told me I wold see something that I haden't seen for along time. She was right. What I heard was a band wailing as if rock had just been discovered. What I saw was even more exciting - hundreds of kids dancing as if they had just discovered that rock can do more for you than just make you want to get up and clap your hands and gape at the stars. Aerosmith even made a jaded, old writer want to get up and boogie like he did in the summers of his teenager.

That was my first introduction to the "Big Get Off" and this album will probably be yours. It's not to be listened to, it's to be played. Turn the volume up loud, roll back the carpet if you have one, and learn to dance. It's for the young, and the young in the head, and anybody who can still take it raw.

Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for posting that, I really appreciate it!

Huh, that's not the one I remember. Of course, after all these years, perhaps I'm not remembering it correctly, or even read about the high school locker bust somewhere else. Is that from the second issue? I think that was the one I bought, although I could be wrong about that, since it seemed like almost a year passed before they became big. Is there different set of liner notes on the first, or any other issue?

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Yes, it's the pressing with the orange sunset and the small photo of the band, not the later pressings with the large photo and the "featuring Dream On" on the cover.

Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album 3251214826_85e00430fe

Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for all your help!
So the one with the Stu Werbin liner notes is the first issue? Are there any kind of notes on the original inside sleeve? Do you happen to know if the second issue had liner notes, and were they different? The one I first bought wouldn't have had "featuring Dream On", but I thought it was the big picture. I'm starting to question my own memory now, but I was so sure about this locker business.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 am

leadhead wrote:
Thanks for all your help!
So the one with the Stu Werbin liner notes is the first issue? Are there any kind of notes on the original inside sleeve? Do you happen to know if the second issue had liner notes, and were they different? The one I first bought wouldn't have had "featuring Dream On", but I thought it was the big picture. I'm starting to question my own memory now, but I was so sure about this locker business.

I have that pressing as well and will try to remember to check for you tonight. The one's with the big photo like below are later pressings.
Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Aerosmith_7220
None of the pressings had an inner sleeve that I am aware of. I'll check for sure tonight.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 10:42 am

I agree with leadhead. Those are the notes I remember and I can't find any reference to them. It is like Big Brother wiped it out.
Back to top Go down
Franderosa
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 pm

OK Leadhead, I've got the first album copy you had, and it seems to be the only one in existence on the planet. You were correct about the "missing pot-in-the-locker paragraph". The paragraph that is missing states, which follows:

"...to sit in classrooms studying algebra.

Joey got thrown out of Roosevelt High in Yonkers three times for duking with his fists. Steve was separated from that same place on the old grass in the locker rap. Tom was subject to the first acid bust in Sunappee, New Hampshire, population 1.500. Joe and Brad were never thrown out of school. "I just dropped out," sez Joe. Not too long ago, this was called Juvenile Delinquency. Today, it is better known as an expression of boredom.

They came together summers..."

Quote/unquote from Stu Werbin on the back liner notes. (Jeesh, I can't understand why the PR people removed that part?!?) I went to see Aerosmith play for the first time at a "big venue" in Worcester Mass at the Worcester Arena on June 21, 1973, (it was an ice skating rink, without the ice, only sand on the floor). I have a rare concert poster that lists the ticket price as - $3.25 advanced sales; $3.75 at the door. It was the first in a series of concerts presented by WAAF and M.A. Assoc. This album was purchased immediately on the day it was released at Zayre's Department Store, Webster Square, Worcester Mass, complete with the "Walking The Dig" typo - Columbia/CBS 1973 KC32005. (I remembered thinking to myself, what a stupid name for a song...especially when it sounded like Steven was singing "Dog", which made sense, not DIG!) I think I have the ticket stub kicking around here, somewhere too. Hope this helps. Gee, maybe someday I'll put BOTH items up on Ebay?
Back to top Go down
leadhead
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Franderosa wrote:
the old grass in the locker rap.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you - been on the road.

Wow, so I'm not crazy, after all!
I found my copy in the cut-out bin for 99¢, and I seem to remember it having the big photo, but I could be wrong - that was many Quaaludes ago. What does yours look like? It makes more sense that this would be the very first release.
At the time, it seemed like this band would be one of those obscure, but great, bands that are appreciated only by a small, but discriminating audience. Certainly, the record company had written them off.
Not long after I bought that record, Aerosmith came to the Parthenon theater in Hammond, IN. It was a small place that normally wasn't a concert venue, though they also did the New York Dolls, and a couple of other bands. Me, and about fifty other people came and saw them put on a killer show. Then, maybe a year later, they were suddenly huge!

Oh, and if you do decide to sell that album, holler at me first!
Back to top Go down
Franderosa
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Not a problem Leadie My Boy, I'm just glad you finally got the confirmation that you were looking for. The album cover is the same one that Ultmetal sent you on 12/5/10 10:37PM (i.e. little group picture in a box, set into a background of sky/clouds, with the simple original logo along the top). I'm under the impression that there were actually TWO 1973 pressings of that first album. The first one, (the one that I have), not only had the typo of "Walkin' the Dig", but also the "missing mystery drug blurb" from Werbin. I'm guessing that after the first 10,000 copies were released, CBS kept the typo in, but eliminated the infamous blurb, (the one that Ultmetal has). Similar to your early A-smith story, I was in high school and a huge fan of theirs, due mostly to the fact that they were "from" the Boston area and had played around Worcester MA quite often. That blurb hit us (kids) with brutal honesty, yet it also alluded to our current brand of fun and appreciation for wild, tight and well orchestrated rock and roll. (After all, Werbin was right...at the time, we WERE juvenile delinquents, just like the Bad Boys!) The concert that I had attended on June 21, 1973 was just phenomenal! (It was played at the Worcester (MA) Arena...a thawed out ICE RINK! And again as I mentioned - the admission was $3.25 advanced sales; $3.75 at the DOOR!!)

Good times...good times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album   Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back Cover of Aerosmith's First Album
Page 1 of 1