Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has anyone ever wondered...

Go down 
+12
Lurideath
adrian
Temple of Blood
ZetaReticuli
Hamer12
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
tul
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
Alaskan Metalhead
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Alaskan Metalhead
Metal novice
Metal novice
Alaskan Metalhead

Number of posts : 35

Has anyone ever wondered... Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 am

...why Iron Maiden has 3 guitar players??? In listening to their CD's the last few years with all 3 guitar players, I can't really notice any differences at all from a band having 2 or eveb just 1 guitar player. I don't hear 3 levels or layers of guitars involved in the songs at all. I am not a guitar player, so I don't know the intracacies involved with the guitar craft (air guitar is all that I can claim).

Anyone have a good answer to this question? Is it only because the 3rd guitar player is a buddy of theirs and they let him come along for the ride? I'm curious about this...
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:24 am

From my perspective I think there were a few reason why Janick was kept on:

1. Steve Harris just did not want to deal with any more line-up changes. By 2000 Iron Maiden already had way too much line-up shuffles - I think he had enough of that. Keeping Janick wasn't going to detract in anyway from the band especially by that stage he had been with the band for about 11 years or so.

2. Janick - although not as good as Dave or Adrian - can still write some very memorable songs and has in fact contributed to a few tunes over the last several albums.

3. I find that live it does make a difference - the sound seems fuller. I can definitely attest to that having seen Maiden 2 years ago. The sound seems bigger, dare I say more epic than on other older live shows I saw and heard.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:27 am

Legend has it that the roadies haven't been plugging Janick's guitar in since 1999, but he just hasn't noticed yet. Laughing

He's like that guy in "Office Space" who got fired but nobody told him. ("I'd like my stapler back now please. I have not received a paycheck...")

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

1) Steve said some of the older songs were written that way and so far they had to leave a few details out because of that.

2) Steve wanted or thought to have three guitar players in the band for long time. In 1977 or 78 they were three guitar players in the band for a very short time, but the others left. So he did not further pursue the idea.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 am

I've often wondered that myself. I too am not a musician and I'll admit that my hearing isn't as fined tuned as other folks 'round these parts, but I'm not sure why 3 guitarists are needed.

I remember when Brave New World was about to be released and my buddy John was all excited that there would be a "3 axe attack". Sounded good on paper until I listened to the album and didin't notice anything different. I thought it would be more noticable, like the twin-guitars of Judas Priest. Each guy taking turns with a blazing solo.

Maybe as mentioned, it brings more to the table in a live setting. I don't hear it on the albums.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 am

Why not have three? Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Leatherwolf, among others had 3 guitarists. What's the big contention?

Quote :
2. Janick - although not as good as Dave or Adrian - can still write some very memorable songs and has in fact contributed to a few tunes over the last several albums.

Really? You think he's a 'lesser' guitarist? Why? What makes you think that.

Janick is part of Maiden and has been for a very long time.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 am

Quote :
Why not have three? Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Leatherwolf, among others had 3 guitarists. What's the big contention?

I don't think anyone saying that they can't or shouldn't. It's more a question of 'why'?

Songwriting contributions aside, what does his playing add to the fold that 2 guitars aren't already doing? Maybe adding a fuller sound live, but nothing that couldn't be replicated with multi-tracking in the studio.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:13 am

Maybe they're all just friends and like playing together...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:18 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Maybe they're all just friends and like playing together...

Naaaaaaaaahhh. Noone could possibly like Janick. Has anyone ever wondered... 209773

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:21 am

I agree with Shawn, Why not?? At least they are a good band. Slipknot has what like 10 or 15 guys?? They still suck!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:25 am

Hamer12 wrote:
I agree with Shawn, Why not?? At least they are a good band. Slipknot has what like 10 or 15 guys?? They still suck!!!

There is no reason for Slipknot to have 9 people in it (well, I guess actually it's 8 at the moment, since their bass player died a while ago...) ... they could easily sound just as awful with only 5 guys. It'd be way easier to split up the gig money at the end of the night too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:39 am

A LOT of my favorite Maiden songs are written by Janick. He brings more enthusiasm and energy into the band more than anyone else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 pm

It's like having amps that go to 11.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm

He's rewarding Janick with all the lucrative reunion $$$$$ for his years of good service during the more difficult times.

I think it's one of the best things about the reunion. Classy move IMHO.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Legend has it that the roadies haven't been plugging Janick's guitar in since 1999, but he just hasn't noticed yet. Laughing

He's like that guy in "Office Space" who got fired but nobody told him. ("I'd like my stapler back now please. I have not received a paycheck...")
Hahaha
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Their sound is much fuller. The 3 guitar thing doesn't mean constant harmonies and melodies. There is a thicker rhythm track always going which makes it bigger.

Watching Janick on stage makes you feel repulsed, but the guy is a phenomenal guitarist.

Now if they will get back to writing GOOD $hit again, it would rule. Their latest album is garbage.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Now if they will get back to writing GOOD $hit again, it would rule. Their latest album is garbage.

Yes.

Don't hold your breath.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I think it's cool. I think he just didn't want to throw him out after all the years he'd been in the band. Still i'm suprised the reunion has lasted 10 years, they must be making major cash now though.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 pm

I think having three guitarists allows them to simplify the parts that each one plays so that what you end up with is 3 people playing one part, not three different parts. Solos excepted, of course. Many of the slower songs have very intricate parts that would be very difficult to pull off live with only one person playing rhythm and the other playing lead, adding a third person makes all of them have an easier night with less fumbles on stage in front of knowledgable fans who can spot in a second if they screw up, Which we all do from time to time.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 11:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah, that's the rumor. He is plugged in and you can clearly hear him when the play live. Jannick is awesome - I was on Jannick's side on the barrier twice this past tour. They guy is awesome! he not a "lesser" player, just a bit different style. The three guitarist play well together.

When Bruce came back, he said he was only coming if Adrian could come too. Steve asked "what about Jannick" and Bruce quickly said "why would he go anywhere? You had talked about a three guitar attack in the past, why not do it?", thus the three guitar attack happened.

I wasn't the biggest Jannick fan when he first joined, but he won me over during the post-reunion albums and tours. Steve did the right thing by keeping Jannick and letting Adrian back. The amazing thing is that none of the three have huge egos. They all seem to push each other to play better.

As mentioned, the sound is very full live, which is awesome. Before the three guitar attack, there was always a third guitar on the albums- usually Adrian more towards the center of the mix to make the albums sound fuller.

Maiden rules!!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I never bothered to check this thread until now. Judging by the title of the topic, I figured it was just some sort of philosophical thread (Why is the sky blue, grass green type of bs)! Razz

So, to answer the question, it would have to be no, I never wondered about it!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone ever wondered...   Has anyone ever wondered... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever wondered...
Page 1 of 1