Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums that NEED remastering.

Go down 
+12
Fat Freddy
Grimmo
ryanmetalman
Thrasher73
jksilvi
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Dave the Boss
Rex
Orion Crystal Ice
exact33
Troublezone
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Albums that NEED remastering. Empty
PostSubject: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 am

Here's a few i can think of at the moment...

Trouble - Manic Frustration
(barely any bass frequency)

Trouble - s/t
(needs to be reissued period!)

Overkill - Feel the fire
(the sound is too low budget)
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:09 am

Impellitteri - Screaming Symphony

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:20 am

Stryper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:58 am

Troublezone wrote:

Overkill - Feel the fire

Manic Frustration sounds so bad only a full remix could fix it.

As for the Overkill, there's only so much you can do to "polish a turd recording", that one sounds cheap because it was recorded cheap.

Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 am

Testament - Souls of Black
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:29 am

Satan's Host - Metal from Hell
Arghoslent - Galloping through the Battle Ruins
Desolation Angels - Desolation Angels (it's been remastered, just hasn't been released yet)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am

I'd like to see all the Belladonn-era Anthrax remastered. Early Testament too.

If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am

Feel the Fire is fine the way it is. I think Testament's "The New Order" can be evened out a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 am

here's a good cheat sheet for remastering.

If the CD was released anytime prior to around 1993 or so, it needs to be remastered...especially if it was an album that came out prior to CDs.

In the early days of CD mastering, the record labels did not have time to pull out the original master tapes and do a proper job of it. So, they just grabbed the "vinyl stamper" and did a direct dump to digital (and the early A/D converters were pretty bad too).

Mastering for vinyl is a totally different animal, those masters when pressed to vinyl sound great...because that's the medium they were designed for. But when you take that same thing, dump it into the digital realm (and back in the 80's they were using 16-bit mastering systems) and put it onto CD...it sounds like utter crap.

Listen to any of the first pressing discs of any classic rock albums...Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, etc etc etc. They ALL sound terrible, they all sound like pale comparisons of the original LP.

By the time the first wave of remasters started coming out in the 90's, the technology had improved (they also figured out that sampling at 24bit and then dithering down to 16 provided better results), the labels spent the extra time to find original master tapes when available and the quality spiked exponentially.

Unfortunately, by the time the 2000's came around...they started digital limiting everything and now CDs sound like crap again.

Back to top Go down
jksilvi
Metal novice
Metal novice
jksilvi

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:58 am

Yes Stryper.

It may sound Strange but i think Faith factor Against a darkened Sky needs some work. Even if it is new album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 am

I recently listened to the remaster of "Unleashed In The East" and it made me want to go back and find a copy on vinyl. Why?

I was listening to "Genocide", there's that great introduction where the riff is played by one guitar at first...then the second guitar comes in.

On the original vinyl, this sounded incredible. When that second guitar kicked in everything just JUMPED out, it sounded SO ballsy...because there was actual dynamic range to the recording.

Now, listening to the remaster, they brickwalled it, removing all dynamic range...so when that second guitar comes in...it has no impact, because the first guitar has been jacked up way louder than it was initially. All sense of drama is lost.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:09 am

Do you do this sort of thing for a living Detuned? If you don't, you should.

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:10 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm an engineer without a gig...

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 am

De,I remember what you did with Death Magnetic and it was great.Its a shame someone with your talent isnt overloaded with work.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am

detuned wrote:

If the CD was released anytime prior to around 1993 or so, it needs to be remastered...especially if it was an album that came out prior to CDs.

In the early days of CD mastering, the record labels did not have time to pull out the original master tapes and do a proper job of it. So, they just grabbed the "vinyl stamper" and did a direct dump to digital (and the early A/D converters were pretty bad too).

Mastering for vinyl is a totally different animal, those masters when pressed to vinyl sound great...because that's the medium they were designed for. But when you take that same thing, dump it into the digital realm (and back in the 80's they were using 16-bit mastering systems) and put it onto CD...it sounds like utter crap.

Listen to any of the first pressing discs of any classic rock albums...Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, etc etc etc. They ALL sound terrible, they all sound like pale comparisons of the original LP.

By the time the first wave of remasters started coming out in the 90's, the technology had improved (they also figured out that sampling at 24bit and then dithering down to 16 provided better results), the labels spent the extra time to find original master tapes when available and the quality spiked exponentially.

Unfortunately, by the time the 2000's came around...they started digital limiting everything and now CDs sound like crap again.

DT is correct. I have pointed this out in some other threads as well. It's all about source -> destination. Grabbing the vinyl stamper and using that as a source is like..... uhhh..... trying to find an analogy for this is kind of difficult, actually...ok, um, think of a highly advanced copy machine. You have a dollar bill itself, and then you have a copy of a dollar bill on a separate page of paper. The dollar itself has the imprints, the color, the codes, everything, it is the original finished product. The one copy duplicated this in an acceptable manner, but if you were to make more copies from the single copy as opposed to the actual bill, the quality diminishes because you are taking one source with everything allocated as one (the one copy), and putting it through the machine, as opposed to a fresh original source (the actual bill) whose separate elements are meant to be allocated and engineered upon each first copy. Old original CD's are the former method.

I'm really not condoning counterfeiting btw.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:41 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

counterfeiting ftw.

I fixed your typo OCI.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 am

yes

I mean, no
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't mind Feel the Fire as much as W.F.O.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 pm

detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Overkill - Feel the fire

Manic Frustration sounds so bad only a full remix could fix it.

As for the Overkill, there's only so much you can do to "polish a turd recording", that one sounds cheap because it was recorded cheap.

I think you're right about Manic Frustration but i think the bass and drums could be brought out a bit more on Feel the Fire.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The Anthrax (best of) album "Anthrology" is remastered. I think there is a remastered/deluxe edition of Among the Living.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm an engineer without a gig...

Maybe you and Cliffy could work together on something.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They are remastered on the Anthrax (best of) album "Anthrology". I think there is a remastered/deluxe edition of Among the Living.

I have Anthology and yea, it sounds better, but I'd like all the albums to get their fair shake, not just the "hits".

I forgot about that super-duper deluxe Among the Living release. Does anyone have that? Any good?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Quote :
I forgot about that super-duper deluxe Among the Living release. Does anyone have that? Any good?

It's kinda pricey but it would be cool to eventually get one.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Quote :

I think most of the Terry Date stuff ('89-'90) still holds up well.... Years of Decay, Cowboys from Hell etc... But they could still be enhanced a bit.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They are remastered on the Anthrax (best of) album "Anthrology". I think there is a remastered/deluxe edition of Among the Living.

I have Anthology and yea, it sounds better, but I'd like all the albums to get their fair shake, not just the "hits".

I have it. I am not impressed. The older version sounds better IMO. The DVD it comes with is cool though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums that NEED remastering.   Albums that NEED remastering. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums that NEED remastering.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next