Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?

Go down 
+22
XYZ
Metal Misfit
Getizzyback
Shiney
tohostudios
Eyesore
Joe
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
snooloui
Jesusandmetal23
exact33
Glenn Rogers
stepcousin
thejokeriv
manny
Thrasher73
jstate
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
iamrockerfun
fingers
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Empty
PostSubject: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:34 am

Sorry fellas about the other thread it wasn't my intention to have the thread to be an anti Kurt Cobain 1 ok I admit it was politically incorrect but not to the point it be too controversial and be locked. I don't hate the guy either my opinion about him is here if you have any doubts https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/let-the-music-do-the-talking-f8/nirvana-t6732-125.htm#352080.

If he never died then nu metal never would of had a chance to be in the spotlight and grunge would be the most popular style of music the same time nu metal was popular well IMO. "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain" would never would of made it and probably would of been just a Bakersfield small club band. Just want to know what you all think would of happened in the 90s if Kurt Cobain was still alive, Do you all agree that nu metal would never have been popular?
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 6:58 am

no, grunge and alternate is dead. who cares ?
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 am

iamrockerfun wrote:
no, grunge and alternate is dead. who cares ?

What he said!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:25 am

I still think that styles and flavors would change, despite Kurt's presence. Nirvana may have continued to be popular, but I don't think it would have stopped bands like \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\", Disturbed, etc. from growing in popularity as well.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 am

One of the things that always gets forgotten about Cobain and Nirvana is that at the time of his suicide they had faded pretty far from popularity. In Utero was considered a massive sales disappointment. Personally that may have been my favorite, but most people I knew hated it and simply got more into Pearl Jam. Always weird the way dying becomes a good career move.

Nu metal happens whether Kurt is alive or not.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 am

jstate wrote:
Always weird the way dying becomes a good career move.

Nothin' moves product like a dead rock star. Look at Elvis. Look at Michael Jackson. Hell, even Dio's back catalog had a bump in sales after his passing.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 am

Nirvana would probably be doing the retro thrash thing now Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:40 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Nirvana would probably be doing the retro thrash thing now Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_wink

Laughing very hard

By now, the other two guys would've left the band and Cobain would probably be touring Midwestern pubs with a couple of replacement guys. And y'know what? He'd probably be a lot happier doing that than he was in his band's heyday.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:42 am

ultmetal wrote:
I still think that styles and flavors would change, despite Kurt's presence. Nirvana may have continued to be popular, but I don't think it would have stopped bands like "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain", Disturbed, etc. from growing in popularity as well.

100% agree
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 am

Nu Metal would have still come and gone, Nirvana would have broken up, Kurt would not be a martyr on the level of Hendrix/Morrison that the main stream press makes him out to be.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 am

who is "thebandhtatshallneverbenamedagain"?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:20 am

stepcousin wrote:

It rhymes with "Horn"

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

It rhymes with "Horn"

Here's another hint: watch this clip as 24 second - Fat Basterd mentions the band name:
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 am

Every generation wants their own thing....With or without Kurt it would not matter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:46 pm

I think Freddy is close but he'd be in coffee shops. Remember, he's from the NW.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 pm

nothing would have stopped glam from returning and smashing the rest of the music world!!!

Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 pm

I dont care if nu metal didnt have a chance. I hate nu metal (with a few exception) and love grunge.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 2:08 pm

I don't care for either, so it doesn't matter to me. As for Kurt Cobain helping the glam bands. No way, he helped kill them. Did they make better music? No, many changed their style to match music of the time, therefore making it worse. If you like Cobain or Nu Metal, fair enough though.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:22 pm

stepcousin wrote:

I don't like them, but why is their a filter for their band name? That's stupid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Required Fields wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

I don't like them, but why is their a filter for their band name? That's stupid.

agreed. \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\"
k orn kor n
k o r n

KO RN

K o R n

Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Required Fields wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

I think that was done as sort of a joke. Whenever that band's name got mentioned, it would get into heated/funny/stupid arguments about how metal or not they were. I guess one of the mods changed them in the filter system. That's how I remember it anyway.

PS If any of you are wondering WHY grunge took over the airwaves and the 80's sound/look was shown the door, look here...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/most-underrated-glam-metal-song-t13676.htm

This kind of behavior had to be stopped.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:53 pm

I admit, that video and song is a bit silly, but you can't dismiss the whole scene because some bands were genuinely decent.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 pm

I think a better question would be is if the Foo Fighters would have existed had Cobain lived?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Joe wrote:
I think a better question would be is if the Foo Fighters would have existed had Cobain lived?

Yep - Nirvana would have broken up and Dave Grohl would have started foo fighters
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Kurt Cobain had nothing to do with nu-metal's rise in popularity. The fact is, corporations decide what people are going to spend their money on because today's consumers are mindless. It's not about whether they really enjoy something than it is whether or not they feel like they should.

Cobain's days in the spotlight were numbered whether he lived or died.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?   Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would nu metal be popular if Kurt Cobain was still alive?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next