Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

David Bowie: Discography

Go down 
+9
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
QuothTheRaven
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
Schbopo
manny
Addy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 8:57 am

Ill be resuming this soon, last few weeks at work have been booku busy
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:25 am

Back with no demand lol, but life and stuff has been chaotic for me so here we go.......

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Bowie5
Heros 1977 RCA

1. "Beauty and the Beast" – 3:32
2. "Joe the Lion" – 3:05
3. "'Heroes'" (Bowie, Brian Eno) – 6:07
4. "Sons of the Silent Age" – 3:15
5. "Blackout" – 3:50
6. "V-2 Schneider" – 3:10
7. "Sense of Doubt" – 3:57
8. "Moss Garden" (Bowie, Eno) – 5:03
9. "Neuköln" (Bowie, Eno) – 4:34
10. "The Secret Life of Arabia" (Bowie, Eno, Carlos Alomar) – 3:46

The second installment of his 'Berlin Trilogy' with Brian Eno (the other releases being Low and Lodger) "Heroes" developed the sound of Low in a more positive direction.[7] Of the three albums, it was the most befitting of the appellation "Berlin", being the only one wholly recorded there. The title track remains one of Bowie's best known, a classic story of two lovers who meet at the Berlin Wall. The album is considered one of his best by critics, notably for the contributions of guitarist Robert Fripp who flew in from the U.S. to record his parts in one day.[8] John Lennon was quoted as saying that when making his album Double Fantasy in 1980, his ambition was to "do something as good as "Heroes"."

Another note worth mentioning, is that the song Beauty and the Beast was covered by Deliverance on their Camelot in Smithereens album, for those who are D fans as well as Bowie fans It's been awhile since ive listened to this disc as for the Berlin Trilogy Low gets the most play for me. This was released in October of 1977 and the Wallflowers did Heros for the Godzilla Sndtrk

Heros

Beauty & The Beast

Deliverance- Beauty & The Beast

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Another classic album and I love this album, also very cool that Bowie brought in Robert Fripp to play on a couple tracks.

Not much to add to the commentary, this album was fueled by a diet of white rice and going cold turkey, when him and his insane friend Iggy Pop decided to quit hard drugs.

Not a bad bum track on the album and another one I need to upgrade to CD
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 am

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 200px-B00070DK5A.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_
Stage 1978 RCA/EMI Virgin

1. "Hang on to Yourself" – 3:26
  2. "Ziggy Stardust" – 3:32
  3. "Five Years" – 3:58
  4. "Soul Love" – 2:55
  5. "Star" – 2:31
  6. "Station to Station" – 8:55
  7. "Fame" (Bowie, Carlos Alomar, John Lennon) – 4:06
  8. "TVC 15" – 4:37
  9. "Warszawa" (Bowie, Brian Eno) – 6:50
  10. "Speed of Life" – 2:44
  11. "Art Decade" – 3:10
  12. "Sense of Doubt" – 3:13
  13. "Breaking Glass" (Bowie, Dennis Davis, George Murray) – 3:28
  14. ""Heroes"" (Bowie, Eno) – 6:19
  15. "What in the World" – 4:24
  16. "Blackout" – 4:01
  17. "Beauty and the Beast" – 5:08

David Bowie's second live album, released by RCA
in 1978. Though it was rumoured at the time that this would be his
final outing with the label, following dissatisfaction over the
promotion of Low and "Heroes", Bowie would in fact remain with RCA until 1982.
The recording was culled from concerts in Philadelphia, Providence and Boston, USA. It primarily included material from Bowie's most recent studio albums to that date, Station to Station, Low and "Heroes" but, in a surprise show of nostalgia, also featured five songs from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Aside from Bowie's core team of Carlos Alomar, Dennis Davis and George Murray, band members included ex Frank Zappa sideman Adrian Belew on guitar, Simon House from Hawkwind on electric violin, and Roger Powell, best known for his work with Todd Rundgren in the group Utopia, on keyboards. All would reunite the following year on Bowie's next studio LP, Lodger.
Generally considered more relaxed than Bowie's previous live album, David Live (1974), Stage
was praised on its initial vinyl release for the fidelity with which
the band was able to emulate in concert the electronic and
effects-filled numbers from Low and "Heroes",
as well as for the singer's vocal performance. However it was
criticised for lacking a 'live' atmosphere, thanks to the recording
being largely taken from direct instrument and microphone feeds which
increased sound quality but minimised crowd noise. The original concert
running order was also changed, with fades between tracks similar to a
studio album.
As Bowie rarely tampered with the arrangements - in contrast to his method on David Live - Stage
added little to what was available on the original albums, and hence
was seen by some commentators as simply a marketing exercise that did
not do justice to a memorable series of live concerts. Even the cover
picture came in for criticism, more so because the rest of the package
contained only variations of the same shot.

Personally I do not have this album, most of my Bowie collection is lackin in the live stuff, but would love to hear input from the fans and those who might have this album
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 am

I have this live album and I actually think it is a better release then 'David Live', it is most definitley a more relaxed concert and shows Bowie's growth as vocalist.

This band maybe his most sympathic backing band since the backround of all the musicians involved where musicians who usually stepped outside the mainstream bounds of rock music of that time period. As usual Bowie did the unexpected not cramming the live album full of hits and keeping the packaging minimal.

My favorite David Bowie live album and would highly recommend it, if this album had been released in the early 80's during the rise of 'alternative rock' critics would have been creaming themselves in praising this album.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Listening to the CD as we speak and I love this album, btw listening to some of the live versions of some of these tunes especially the Berlin period material live and listening to this I am convinced that Trent Reznor was hugely influenced by this period of David Bowie's career.

Also the bonus track on the CD, is a cover of 'Alabama Song' and is using The Doors arrangement.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 10:11 am

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Bowie-lodger
Lodger 1979 EMI/Virgin

1. "Fantastic Voyage" – 2:55
  2. "African Night Flight" – 2:54
  3. "Move On" (Bowie) – 3:16
  4. "Yassassin" (Bowie) – 4:10
  5. "Red Sails" – 3:43
  6. "DJ" (Bowie, Eno, Carlos Alomar) – 3:59
  7. "Look Back in Anger" – 3:08
  8. "Boys Keep Swinging" – 3:17
  9. "Repetition" (Bowie) – 2:59
  10. Red Money (Bowie, Alomar) – 4:17

The last of the 'Berlin Trilogy' recorded in collaboration with Brian Eno (though in fact produced in Switzerland and New York), it was more accessible than its immediate predecessors Low and "Heroes",
having no instrumentals and being somewhat lighter and more
pop-oriented. However it was still an experimental record in many ways
and was not, by Bowie's standards, a major commercial success.
Indifferently received by critics on its initial release, it is now
widely considered one of Bowie's most underrated albums

Though missing the songs/instrumentals split that characterised Low and "Heroes", Lodger
has been interpreted as dividing roughly into two major themes, that of
travel (primarily Side One) and critiques of Western civilisation
(primarily Side Two)

DJ

Boys Keep Swinging

Move On
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 3:04 pm

I remember seeing the video for "Look Back In Anger" waaay back when, it was pretty odd(he turned into an Angel or something like that) and it stuck with me. "... Anger" and "DJ" are my absolue favorite songs off of this album, the rest is good, as well.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I admit its not one ive really listened to, I remember buying it for my wife for christmas or her birthday as shes a big Bowie fan like me.

I do like DJ and Boys Keep Swinging
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm

This is one of few Bowie albums I have never owned but the singles 'DJ' 'Look Back In Anger' are both strong songs and Sussana Hoffs of The Bangles fame did a very good version of 'Boys Keep Swinging'
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 am

Of the Berlin Trilogy Low has my vote I think Low was very ahead of its time, Course Lodger is the last Bowie album of the 70s
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:02 am

The first Bowie album of the 1980s

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Bowie18
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) 1980- EMI/Virgin

Track Listing:

1. It's No Game (No. 1) (4:15)
2. Up the Hill Backwards (3:13)
3. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)(5:10)
4. Ashes to Ashes (4:23)
5. Fashion (4:46)
6. Teenage Wildlife (6:51)
7. Scream Like a Baby (3:35)
8. Kingdom Come (3:42)
9. Because You're Young (4:51)
10. It's No Game (No. 2) (4:22)

It was Bowie's final studio album for the label and his first following the 'Berlin Trilogy' of Low, "Heroes" and Lodger (1977-1979). Though considered significant in artistic terms, the trilogy had proved less successful commercially. With Scary Monsters, however, Bowie achieved what biographer David Buckley called "the perfect balance" and the album peaked at number one in the United Kingdom and restored Bowie's commercial standing in the United States.

Among those collaborators, Brian Eno was no longer present on Scary Monsters, but Chuck Hammer added multiple textural layers deploying guitar synth and, following his absence from Lodger, Robert Fripp returned with the distinctive guitar sound he had earlier lent to "Heroes". Bruce Springsteen's pianist Roy Bittan was back for his first Bowie album since Station to Station (1976), while The Who's Pete Townshend guested on "Because You’re Young".

The public's first taste of Scary Monsters was "Ashes to Ashes", which was released as a single one month prior to the album and made #1 in the UK. Built around a guitar synth theme by Chuck Hammer, it revisited the character of Major Tom from Bowie's early hit "Space Oddity". Aside from its critical and commercial success as a song, the accompanying music video set a benchmark for the art form.[6]

Notwithstanding the lush textures of "Ashes to Ashes", Bowie's sound on the album was described by critics as being harsher — and his worldview more desperate — than anything he had released since Diamond Dogs (1974). This was exemplified by such tracks as "It's No Game (No. 1)", the hard-rocking opener featuring lead female vocals in Japanese; the careering title track with its prominent percussion effects and Bowie’s mock-cockney accent; the second single "Fashion", which seemed to draw parallels between style and politics and which had its own highly-regarded video; and "Scream Like a Baby", a tale of political imprisonment.

Aside from "Ashes to Ashes", "Teenage Wildlife" was perhaps the album’s most personal lyric. Against a musical backdrop that owed much to his song "Heroes", Bowie appeared to take aim squarely at post-punk artists, particularly Gary Numan:

A broken-nosed mogul are you
One of the new wave boys
Same old thing in brand new drag
Comes sweeping into view
As ugly as a teenage millionaire
Pretending it’s a whiz-kid world

Despite the worldwide megastardom and commercial success that Bowie would achieve in coming years, most notably with his next studio album Let's Dance in 1983, many commentators consider Scary Monsters to be "his last great album",[9] the "benchmark" for each new release.[3] Later efforts, such as Heathen or Reality, were often cited as "the best album since Scary Monsters."

Scary Monsters

Fashion

It's No Game (Part 1)

Because You're Young
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:09 am

Incredibly being this is one of my favorite David Bowie albums I still have not replaced my vinyl copy with a CD version of this album.

Again David Bowie is ahead of the curve, exploring new sounds, experimenting and bascially creating the sonic landscape with this album that would overtake the indie rock of the early 80's and influence another generation fans.

Bowie hiring Robert Fripp as a sideman was inspired, while Fripp did not write any of the material it was obvious that Bowie gave him an open canvas to work with. The title is a great song and I finally got to hear him do some of this tunes live when I saw the Glass Spider tour when I was 17.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:11 am

I would love to see David Bowie live before I die

and I agree this album is ahead of its time I really believe that David Bowie was/is one of the fathers of the 80s Synth sound especially with this album and with Low.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 am

Any other input?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 am

Addy, I think it is just you and I for the rest of this thread.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:12 am

Yeah I kind of figured which is sad but I appreciate all your input
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:13 am

I am enjoying reading it also and I suspect alot of people are reading the thread but may not be responding, but it is a great thread.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:38 am

manny wrote:
I am enjoying reading it also and I suspect alot of people are reading the thread but may not be responding, but it is a great thread.

I keep checking in from time-to-time, but I don't have anything to add. Aside from a best of and Ziggy Stardust, I'm not much of a fan and don't own any of these albums.

Still makes for an interesting read though, Addy. Keep the good work.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:00 pm

I'll always remember the videos for "Fashion" and "Ashes To Ashes".......... weird, but really cool songs. I need to listen to his one more.

BTW, excellent thread!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 pm

David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 TheBestOfBowie
The Best of Bowie - 1980 K-tel

1. "Space Oddity" – 5:07
2. "Life on Mars?" (K-tel edit) – 3:34
3. "Starman" – 4:07
4. "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" – 2:56
5. "John, I'm Only Dancing" (Sax version) – 2:37
6. "The Jean Genie" – 4:03
7. "Breaking Glass" (Live from Stage) (Bowie, Dennis Davis, George Murray) – 3:27
8. "Sorrow" (Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein, Richard Gottehrer) – 2:51
9. "Diamond Dogs' (K-tel edit) – 4:36
10. "Young Americans" – 5:05
11. "Fame" (Edit) (Bowie, John Lennon, Carlos Alomar) – 3:25
12. "Golden Years" (Edit) – 3:20
13. "TVC 15" (Edit) – 3:28
14. "Sound and Vision"– 3:00
15. "Heroes" (Edit) (Bowie, Brian Eno) – 3:26
16. "Boys Keep Swinging" (Bowie, Eno) – 3:15

The Best of Bowie is a David Bowie compilation album released in 1980. In addition to including the rare 7" edits of "Fame" and "Golden Years", the compilation contains unique edits of "Life on Mars?" and "Diamond Dogs", ostensibly to allow all 16 tracks to fit on one LP. The cover was based on the 12-inch single sleeve design of Bowie's "Fashion". It made #3 in the UK Albums Charts

Theres another GH that came out decades later with the same name but I figure Id throw this rare gem in the mix before we hit the big selling Bowie album....
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I skipped this comp but it looks very cool
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

I'm going to comment on Scary Monsters since I don't have that comp (but now I want it, thanks...haha!)

Scary Monsters is my favorite David Bowie album...I just love everything about it. I love the musicianship (Robert Fripp!), the vibe, the vocal performance of the man himself and the songs. It's got an eerie kind of catchiness and ambiance. IMO, there's not a bad song to be had. It was also a bit "new wavey" showing him diving headfirst into a new decade of music and fashion and STILL doing it better than almost anyone else.

My favorite tracks:

2. Up the Hill Backwards (3:13)
3. Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)(5:10)
4. Ashes to Ashes (4:23)
5. Fashion (4:46)
7. Scream Like a Baby (3:35)
8. Kingdom Come (3:42)
9. Because You're Young (4:51)

Amazing record...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 am

I think that version of Best of Bowie is available on Vinyl Smile

I agree Scary Monsters is a great album I love Ashes to Ashes and Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) , Very New Wavy and the 80s had barely begun at that point.

Have you heard Bowie's Low? I think you might like that if you like Scary Monsters, Low came out in the mid to late 70s and it was very synth driven IMO one of the forefathers of 80s New Wave/Synth sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

I fell off the Bowie train here as I moved into almost only metal for awhile, so i've never picked these up. I have been listening to some samples based on your reviews. Good work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Bowie: Discography   David Bowie: Discography - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Bowie: Discography
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next