Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slash's musicianship overrated?

Go down 
+17
MEGATRON
tohostudios
the sentinel
manny
Schbopo
Smindas
Lurideath
chewie
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
James B.
MetalRob331
Addy
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
fingers
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:46 pm

fingers wrote:
James B. wrote:
My perspective is this... Being around the club scene that G n' R and it members previous bands broke out from, I saw alot of different things going on. Poor players, good players, flashy players, and then those who played with style. Slash has/had style oozing from his playing and his stage presence. Look at the opening lil riff/hook of "sweet child o' mine", not very flashy or diffficult to play. Then you have the other guitar player trip. Slash sounded better in G n' R cause of what Izzy was doing on the side and in the background. (IMHO)

Slash was a breath of fresh air at that time because everyone else was about either speed or flash and much worse mediocre playing with way too much emphasis on image.

I'd imagine he'd be good for his time and definitely a fresh of air back then and would not be at all overrated. I am mostly referring the past 10-15 years I think he's overrated.

Also with the solo record there are few hiccups like he had the bloke from Maroon 5 and the talentless moronic Kid Rock and with Fergie LMAO?

I'll agree with your assessment of the Maroon 5 song but I actually like the Kid Rock and Fergie songs. Hell, I like Kid Rock period.

Hey fingers, ever used the "IMO"? Without it a lot of your posts come across as "fact" instead of opinion. Just sayin'.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:56 pm

BTW, Kid Rock's last album "Rock N Roll Jesus" is one of the best Southern Rock albums to come out in recent memory IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 3:00 am

Fingers, I really don't think that Slash's 8 second appearance had any proper bearing on the Anvil film's success. The film was successful because it provided an interest, honest and humanist insight to trying to make it in a metal band, 20 years on from their hey-day.

fingers wrote:
Also with the solo record there are few hiccups like he had the bloke from Maroon 5 and the talentless moronic Kid Rock and with Fergie LMAO?

Have you actually listened to the songs in question? I'm not big on the Marron 5 one, but the other two are surprisingly good. Kid Rock's track 'I Hold On' is melodic, mellow and well thought out and Fergie's voice on 'Beautiful Dangerous' is absolutely cracking.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 3:16 am

Slash is a great guitar player. I think he's one of the best around. I'm not a fan of GN'R at all, and I used to roll my eyes when my GN'R loving friends would talk about how Slash is the greatest guitarist ever... but after hearing Slash's solo album, I can see why they would think that. 'Ghost', 'Crucify the Dead', 'Beautiful Dangerous', 'Back from Cali', 'Promise' and especially 'Starlight' feature some beautiful guitar work. I don't think Slash is overrated at all.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:29 am

Smindas wrote:
Fingers, I really don't think that Slash's 8 second appearance had any proper bearing on the Anvil film's success. The film was successful because it provided an interest, honest and humanist insight to trying to make it in a metal band, 20 years on from their hey-day.

Well that was the main reason but I still think Slash's contribution made a difference
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:30 am

tohostudios wrote:
BTW, Kid Rock's last album "Rock N Roll Jesus" is one of the best Southern Rock albums to come out in recent memory IMO.

Put the hash pipe down! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey, I really like the last Kid Rock album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Slash is ok. I dont get all that excited about his work though...

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:54 am

I find slash to be a bit overrated.

Doesn't even come close to Iommi
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 4:14 pm

IMO - Slash tends to play with a lot more emotion and feeling than Vai is capable of. If I want to listen to a decent Steve Vai album, it can be found filed under "W" for Whitesnake.

I thought that the most recent Slash album was ok, but Made in Stoke is phenomenal. The live setting really brings out the life in songs.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slash's musicianship overrated?   Slash's musicianship overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slash's musicianship overrated?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2