Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?

Go down 
+15
_Wes
QuothTheRaven
jstate
stepcousin
ultmetal
chewie
manny
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
James B.
akeldama
Schbopo
Jesusandmetal23
mr.electric39
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Empty
PostSubject: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

I picked this up in the used bin a few weeks ago... I haven't owned it in 20+ years.

This album just flat out rocks. The scary thing is when I first put it in my player I remember EVERY single lyric...

I just think would been high on a rock album list, very high.... or maybe I'm just reminiscing of old times...

Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? 721884
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Give Fragile another spin.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

It's a darn good album, but one of the best? Probably not. I wouldn't even say that it's one of the best Yes albums.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm

I agree with Schlobberknocker, it's not even Yes' best album. Tormato is their best IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 pm

I love 90125, Mr Electric. Rightfully so, it's a great pop rock album.

That being said, my favorite YES album is Drama.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Not my favorite YES album either, good for what it is... THe YES guys guesting on a Trevor Rabin project.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 am

As a rock record it is fantastic.... if all your doing is comparing it to the Yes of the 70's this is a different animal....

I've owned various Yes discs, Fragile, Tales of Topographic Oceans, The Yes Album.... those are all great Prog rock albums....

Yet 90125 doesn't fit with those albums at all.... If you mean 'Pop' because it was popular yes it was.... however I think listening to 'Cinema' 'Hold On' 'City of Love', 'changes' are just great rock songs... with some prog type elements thrown in....

This is a classic album.... imo
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 am

I think some of it is terrible but some is very good for what it is. Usually though I want the whole thing to be instrumental like 'Cinema'. Some of the colors they achieve on here are really cool and unique for stuff with a pop sheen. If they would have put the project under that name like as planned initially it wouldn't have caught as much flak, either. But we do want Yes to make money so they can go on tour in their 80s and play us stuff from 'Close to the Edge', 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', 'Fragile', 'Going for the One', 'Relayer'...et al. Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:19 am

Probably not the best ever but it is my favorite Yes album. I had it on cassette years ago but it got lost somewhere along the way and I had kind of forgotten this thing til Sunday night when I was watching The Cleveland Show (I think) .It Can Happen was playing over a montage of scenes reminding how great this thing was.I need to get this again on cd.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:19 am

This was the first Yes album I actually liked; the other stuff was just too proggy for me and I found Wakeman's keyboard wankery annoying.

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:37 am

I love that record, I also view it as more of a Trevor Rabin project album than Yes....but whatever you call it, you can't deny how masterfully produced that record is.

Might have to listen to this one today....
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 am

I also love this album, I would put it in top ten albums personally but I think it is a great album and IMO not a weak track on the album. Like others stated Trevor Rabin had a huge hand in the creative process and production of this album, but unlike alot of bands from the 70's that went into more commerical direction in the 80's, Yes did it with out sounding like they sold out and the album still sounds good til this day.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 10:55 am

I think that this is a great Rock album and I am a pretty good Yes fan. Others are correct in that I wouldn't compare it to the 70's stuff. My favs from that era: Fragile, Relayer and Drama(which is another odd one in itself and actually 80's.. but, oh well). 90125, Can't Look Away and Talk are the BEST Trevor Rabin albums, imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

If it helped get people into other Yes suff and made them some money then good for them. I enjoy it a lot but I wouldn't say it's one of the best.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm

A very good album IMO.

The demos for this album were recorded under the name Cinema, which was to be the name of the band. The record company wouldn't release the new music unless the band, which was made up of mostly YES members and Trevor Rabin, used the YES name.

Yes haven't released an album I don't like. "Tormato" is probably my favorite.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
If it helped get people into other Yes suff and made them some money then good for them. I enjoy it a lot but I wouldn't say it's one of the best.

Good point and this is the first YES album I had ever heard which slowly got me into the rest of their discography.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Who could believe when love has gone, how we move on like everyone..
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:28 pm

I remember the radio playing this album to death back in the mid 80's and I kinda hated it. 25 years later I did the same thing as you, bought the cd and really listened to it again. I knew every word and note but it seemed like a whole different album this time around. It really is a great album from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Loved it then and now. And ultimately many years later upon re-visiting 90125 it caused me to look into the Yes discography. It was also one of those albums where I bought it for the hits and then immediately discovered my favorites were the deeper cuts.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

This album, "Back in Black," Rush's "Moving Pictures," and The Police "Synchronicity" dominated my stereo during my senior year in high school. I get all wispy-eyed and nostalgic when I listen to it! Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
_Wes
Metal novice
Metal novice
_Wes

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 am

Very 80's album - but I agree that its the best with Trevor Rabin. The guy just rocks.

Great album!!
Back to top Go down
http://fretlessbassist.com
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 am

I was listening to it the other day, as a matter of fact, on my car. Even though I had not poped it in the CD player in a while, I was suprised how well I knew each and every song. Being a teen from the 80's, this was actually the album that introduced me to Yes. I had not listened to their 70's stuff before that. Like everyone else, I went back to listen to their catalogue and fell in love with their earlier material. No, it might not be the best rock album ever or even the best Yes album as many have pointed out. But, it is a DAMN fine album, and one that I can listen to over and over.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm a total sucker for the "sell out" Prog/Pop albums that so many of the great Prog bands made in the early 80's. 90125, Asia s/t and Genesis- Abacab were probably the biggest ones apart from the Alan Parsons Project, but here are some others.

Barclay James Harvest- Eyes of The Universe
Camel- Stationary Traveler
Gentle Giant- Citizen
Saga- Worlds Apart
Nektar- Man In The Moon
Barclay James Harvest- Turn of The Tide
Keats- s/t
Planet P Project

great musicians making great but accessible music.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I'm a total sucker for the "sell out" Prog/Pop albums that so many of the great Prog bands made in the early 80's. 90125, Asia s/t and Genesis- Abacab were probably the biggest ones apart from the Alan Parsons Project, but here are some others.

Barclay James Harvest- Eyes of The Universe
Camel- Stationary Traveler
Gentle Giant- Citizen
Saga- Worlds Apart
Nektar- Man In The Moon
Barclay James Harvest- Turn of The Tide
Keats- s/t
Planet P Project

great musicians making great but accessible music.

There's some killer stuff there... Love GG, Citizen is a very underrated album by them. It's not as complex as their mid-period stuff and definitely not as bad as the two albums that came before it.

There is another progpop project by Ton Scherpenzeel called Europe(1983) that I just found out about and trying to find at a decent price.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Quote :
Saga- Worlds Apart

That's such a great album. I personally think they watered down their sound starting with "Heads or Tales".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?   Yes - 90125   One of the best rock n roll albums ever? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yes - 90125 One of the best rock n roll albums ever?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next