Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enough with the remakes!!!

Go down 
+33
Troublezone
SpectreFate
Witchfinder
Boris2008
James B.
corplhicks
jstate
DallasBlack
TheDoctor'sScarf
MetalGuy71
Sutekh
Lurideath
DeathCult
Orion Crystal Ice
sheets
Stender
Addy
Jesusandmetal23
thejokeriv
Dave the Boss
Wargod
snooloui
kmorg
Leatherface
manny
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
chewie
Metallic Blaze
exact33
Schbopo
tohostudios
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage

Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Compare the dialogue written for The Avengers with the dialogue written for Battleship, it's pretty easy to tell the quality difference.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Does anyone think that Battleship had good writing? Is there anyone who thinks that most of the action flicks coming out now have good writing? The last one that I really thought was well written and well thought out was Inception.

Fact is that most people don't care, they just wan't action. As Lonnie Dragon said in Action

"It's explosions, boobs, explosions. It used to be boobs, explosions, boobs, but women's liberation has come a long way!" Laughing very hard 

Battleship was good for what it was - a blow em up flick. Its what it was written to be and i dont see anything wrong with it.

My problem is not with Battleship, which I have not seen but read a fair amount on, but with the fact that Hollywood has been spending bloated amounts of $$$$ on this type of movie constantly. Plus, if we look at the Transformers template, which seems to be the norm these days, I don't believe it's fair for the industry to be insulting their audience by saying we can't have big-budget action woven with intelligent stories and complex characters, like, say, how James Cameron used to make movies. It's all a very cold, odd, repetitive, and overly familiar approach that's not fair to the human realm.

well I do not see Hollywood as being fair to the human realm, regardless of the movie. I think most, but not all, folks view movies and such as entertainment and enjoy them appropriately.

But in the end, it all comes down to the viewers choice. What viewers want to see is what sells and what sells influences what is made in the future.

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Hilarious, now Johnny Depp is blaming the critics for the mega-flop disaster that was "The Lone Ranger".  Yeah, Johnny, your average moviegoer in 2013 is basing all their entertainment choices on reviews from critics?  Doubtful.  Let's face it, the general public just wasn't interested in a tongue-in-cheek $200 million remake of a 1950s TV show.

Disney has reported they will likely lose $190 million on the film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-johnny-depp-critics-lone-ranger-fiasco-20130806,0,1703205.story
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Apparently Disney didn't learn anything from the last time Hollywood tried to "reboot" the Lone Ranger, back in 1981...

Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 395px-The_Legend_of_the_Lone_Ranger

Their "new" Ranger (Klinton Spilsbury)'s performance was so terrible that they had to bring in a new actor to overdub all of his dialogue in post-production Laughing very hard

"The Legend of the Lone Ranger" remains Klinton Spilsbury's lone movie credit.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39597

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Their "new" Ranger (Klinton Spilsbury)'s performance was so terrible that they had to bring in a new actor to overdub all of his dialogue in post-production Laughing very hard

Which makes you wonder, how in the world did he get cast in the first place ? I never saw that one mainly because of the bad reviews/word of mouth.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 3:10 am

007 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Which makes you wonder, how in the world did he get cast in the first place ? I never saw that one mainly because of the bad reviews/word of mouth.

Just got done watching this for the second time since...I dunno, five? Anyway, it's not horrible, just very basic (translation: boring). Very pedestrian handling of an old-fashioned western script. You can tell the director works in TV. Economical framing, no more than two heads foreground in an action shot, no recoil with weapons, scenery is meh (although to be fair this isn't widescreen). Klinton is a monument of an enigma. Like 007 said, how he was cast is beyond anyone's guess. The man is a sleepwalker, no character or charisma at all. The worst of it all is when he delivers his "hi ho silver." It's quite pathetic, no oomph, very lackluster and weirdly cloy--of course, I suppose this isn't Klinton's voice. The rest of the cast kind of clunker about, my man Robards giving a surprisingly comatose twist on Ulysses Grant, and Doc Brown as the villain with his "great scott!!" expression popping up now and again. The opening scene has an disturbingly (albeit poorly shot) amount of violence for a kid's film. And John Barry's score is bewilderingly anti-thematic and dull as the movie (Barry is the Bond legend). The narration mixed with flat country folk songs is distracting. Anything to like? Maybe the old theme when it pops up, but it doesn't compliment the on-screen atrocities. Again, not horrible, but nowhere near remarkable. And Klinton is officially inducted into my WTF museum.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
Hilarious, now Johnny Depp is blaming the critics for the mega-flop disaster that was "The Lone Ranger".  Yeah, Johnny, your average moviegoer in 2013 is basing all their entertainment choices on reviews from critics?  Doubtful.  Let's face it, the general public just wasn't interested in a tongue-in-cheek $200 million remake of a 1950s TV show.

Disney has reported they will likely lose $190 million on the film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-johnny-depp-critics-lone-ranger-fiasco-20130806,0,1703205.story
ouch.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Well, flop or not, I enjoyed the Lone Ranger, so there Razz
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Universal pictures has found a way to continue making money off one of their oldest franchises...they are preparing a new Dracula film for late summer 2014.

Word of mouth is this version will combine the real-life exploits of Vlad Tepes along with the usual Stoker material.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:31 am

Hollywood has been out of ideas for quite a while... Everything is rehashed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 am

Troublezone wrote:
Hollywood has been out of ideas for quite a while... Everything is rehashed.
On the surface it would appear so. But there are many good original films coming out of Hollywood, they just aren't coming from the major studios.

As expensive as films have become to produce the studios are afraid to risk $200 million on a completely original concept, so they take the safe route and go for sequels, reboots and rip-offs. In the minds of the studio bosses it's a form of insurance against financial disaster, because those types of movies have built-in audiences.

The international factor plays a significant role as well, in less than 10 years China will become the biggest market for films in the world, there are untold billions of dollars to be made. The Chinese theater owners want 3-D, CGI spectaculars with lots of explosions and minimal simplistic dialogue that is easy to translate.

That is one of the primary causes of the dumbing-down of dialogue over the past several years.

Anyway, if you dig a little deeper you'll find plenty of good movies to watch, you just aren't going to find them at the local multiplex.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Hollywood, the next couple of years: Bollywood remakes. I called it, watch, you'll see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:41 pm

I think the brief flirtation with Bollywood came and went around the time of Slumdog Millionaire.

There are several musicals coming out in the near future, but most of them are either original or adaptations of Broadway.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 4:42 pm

S.D. wrote:

There are several musicals coming out in the near future, but most of them are either original or adaptations of Broadway.  
I'm happy to hear this. Although "they don't make 'em like they used to" will still apply, I'm a big fan of musicals and Broadway in general, so it's good that they're bringing them back to the big screen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:

I'm happy to hear this. Although "they don't make 'em like they used to" will still apply, I'm a big fan of musicals and Broadway in general, so it's good that they're bringing them back to the big screen.
I'll be interested to see Anna Kendrick in the adaptation of The Last 5 Years.

Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:19 pm

I loved 'Les Miserables' more than almost anything else that came out last year...if they can make them that good, then I will check more out..
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I loved 'Les Miserables' more than almost anything else that came out last year...if they can make them that good, then I will check more out..
I've never seen such widely mixed critical reactions to a film before. Either people LOVED it, or they HATED it. I liked it a lot, my chief complaint being the numerous, extended facial close-ups. Otherwise it captured the musical perfectly--of course the musical was heavily flawed to begin with, and critically abandoned during its first run. As poppy and easily digestible as the music is, I enjoy it. A horrible adaptation of the book? Of the most criminal kind. Brimming with logic and rational motives? Hardly. Overly emotional and manipulative? You bet your sweet ass. But you hear Jean Valjean sing Bring Him Home and end up forgiving every sin the movie/musical makes with a thousand tears on your path. Bravo, I say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 1:21 am

Get this...

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has teamed up with director McG for a big-screen remake of the old early 80s TV show The Fall Guy!

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 am

S.D. wrote:
Get this...

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has teamed up with director McG for a big-screen remake of the old early 80s TV show The Fall Guy!  

Laughing very hard 
Yeah that is bizarre. Bi. Zarre.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:26 am

S.D. wrote:
Get this...

Laughing very hard 
I just watched part of an episode of "The Fall Guy" on YouTube last week, because I wanted to see the episode where Lindsay Wagner guest starred. Prior to watching that I was watching some clips from "The Bionic Woman" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" episodes, involving the fembots and Bigfoot.

Needless to say, none of that stuff holds up very well today. lol! Though, I still love the theme songs for all three shows. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 am

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Get this...

Laughing very hard 
Eh, maybe not as much as one would think.

Hollywood stunt man that doubles as a bounty hunter. Add a big star, some car chases, lotsa 'splosions, some PG-13 level sexiness with the latest starlet and you've got another terrible, terrible summer blockbuster movie that fades from memory faster than the end credits run.

Attach "The Fall Guy" name to it, and now you have an easily recognizable terrible, terrible summer blockbuster movie that people will talk about for months leading up to it and maybe a week or 2 after it's gone off to the foreign markets to recoup losses.

I don't see anything bizarre with that. It's the new movie making formula. Razz 

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:38 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Get this...

Laughing very hard 
wait til they remake Chips!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:42 pm

exact33 wrote:

wait til they remake Chips!
If memory serves, there actually was talk of a big screen "CHiPs" movie some years back but it appears to have disappeared into Development Hell...thank goodness.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:53 pm

If Dwayne doesnt re-record the theme song to The Fall Guy (I'm The Unknown Stuntman) I'm going to be PISSED!!!!

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 am

Manimal!!!!

If we are going down this road, I demand Manimal.

...........and Airwolf! Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 56834 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enough with the remakes!!!   Enough with the remakes!!! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enough with the remakes!!!
Page 9 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next