Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?

Go down 
+7
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Troublezone
ultmetal
manny
Fat Freddy
fingers
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Empty
PostSubject: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 6:41 am

you know that TV show that was around 20 years ago. Any of you liked and watched it? I am also aware they were re-released on DVD under the name Rockthology. if so what are the best ones to get? I have got volume 7 half is good the other half meh
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah, I remember Hard-n-Heavy...if memory serves, though, it wasn't a TV show (at least not here in the U.S.) but a continuing series of "video magazines" which were released on VHS every other month or so. I forget how many volumes there were. I only had a few of those tapes, one was an "all Thrash edition" with Exodus, GWAR and a bunch of other bands on it.

The tapes were a mix of interviews with various bands, some live footage, and animated bits of "metal head" kids beating up on teachers and old ladies, setting stuff on fire, etc., etc. -- kinda like a precursor to the stuff "Beavis & Butt-Head" did on their show a few years later. Those 'toons were supposed to be funny but to me they only served to perpetuate the stereotype that metalheads were destructive idiots.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 am

They reissued this one DVD a few years ago and I got them for $1 each, it was like 4 disc, it was ok but not really put together that well, and the cartoons in between sucked.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:49 am

I'll have to look when I get home to be sure but I think I may still have one or two of those tapes in the closet somewhere. I picked 'em up at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I watched'em once, thought "yup, these were just as dumb as I remember" and I left'em to gather dust.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 am

manny wrote:
the cartoons in between sucked.

the writers who wrote the scetches must of been stoned off their arses lol!
awesomely bad I guess

Last edited by fingers on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'll have to look when I get home to be sure but I think I may still have one or two of those tapes in the closet somewhere. I picked 'em up at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I watched'em once, thought "yup, these were just as dumb as I remember" and I left'em to gather dust.

I watched them once and are collecting dust in my music DVD collection, I guess I should try to dump them on some poor unsuspecting soul.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 am

I had most of the episodes on VHS. Loaned them to a friend. Never saw them again.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 am

ultmetal wrote:
I had most of the episodes on VHS. Loaned them to a friend. Never saw them again.

You should send your friend a thank you card.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am

They were OK but just a corporate attempt to capitalize on the mostly hair-metal trend of the day. The cartoons were filler because of lack of content.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:05 pm

I had a lot of these VHS tapes and to me the cartoons were part of the best part. You guys take things too serious sometimes. haha
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I had a lot of these VHS tapes and to me the cartoons were part of the best part. You guys take things too serious sometimes. haha

Did you like Beavis and Butthead?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 pm

I have the whole thing on VHS.

The grindcore episode was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I remember some cool interviews with Dio and Halford on these series. The Halford interview was in his home in Arizona. The Dio interview was in his home as well, though I don't recall where he lived. I thought they were fun. I wouldn't mind seeing some of this stuff incorporated into That Metal Show.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 pm

They should do a dvd boxset of the series. Maybe update the cartoons.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Maybe update the cartoons.

...or just leave them out entirely. (Sorry, I'm an animation snob. Those 'toons weren't funny and were crudely done to boot. I can't stand Beavis & Butthead for the same reason.)

Now that I think about it, there were several other series of those "Video Magazines" making the rounds at that time. I had the first volume of something called "MetalHead" that came out back then as well. The host (also called "MetalHead") was some dork who had a set of metal studs in a line across his forehead!!!!

After giving those video mags a couple of tries, I stuck with print magazines...

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm

I am with Freddy not only where they crudely drawn but even worse they were not funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am

Troublezone wrote:
They should do a dvd boxset of the series.

That would be cool...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Used to have many of them on VHS. Would love to have the DVD's, so I could see all of them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Yeah I am a huge Beavis and Butthead fan. One of the best cartoons made to me. I like that type of humor though.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Sounds interesting. So in the U.S. this was just a series of videos?
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Yeah it was just a video series here.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:29 pm

You can buy them on DVD from Amazon they got reissued on DVD as Rockthology and are now out of print again:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=rockthology&sprefix=rockth
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 8:46 pm

LOL, I have a 3-video VHS set of Hard-n-Heavy I bought some 10 years ago. I still pull it out once in a while for laughs. Had some good interview stuff, though I dislike how the cut into the videos for interviews. Why they couldn't just play the whole video, then play the interview I have no idea...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Those 'toons were supposed to be funny but to me they only served to perpetuate the stereotype that metalheads were destructive idiots.

I love this comment. Watch the movie "Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd". The clerk at a store wears Anthrax shirts, but it seems he's a total buffoon. Dumb and Dumber. Great series.

On the topic of Hard 'n' Heavy, I saw part of a clip with Testament and Exodus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?   Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard n Heavy (TV Show) anybody?
Page 1 of 1