Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crack the Skye

Go down 
+6
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
sheets
manny
GrandNational
Gilbert
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Matodon's Crack the Skye has been voted by MetalHammer as the number 1 album of 2009.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Sorry, Mastodon (damn keyboard)
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 3:55 pm

They have to satisfy their Hot Topic crowd, that's what I think.

On a side note, I like Mastodon, specially the first 2 albums, but have sort of forgotten about them the last few years.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Good band, album of the year for 2009, I am not sure but the album got lots of critical acclaim by non metal publications from such hipsters such as Rolling Stone and Spin, so I am not surprised
Back to top Go down

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I don't think there is anything "Hot Topic" about their sound at all...heavy, progressive, complex...I think it's a matter of luck & timing that they have gotten as much mainstream acceptance as they have...that and they don't sound like all the other Lamb Of God/Killswitch Engage bands that are so popular amongst the Hot Topic crowd...they kinda stand out.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Mastodon is definitely a "hipster approved" band but I think it's a case where they also happen to be a genuinely good metal band. I'd have to think about how I'd rank Crack the Skye but it was certainly high among my favorites last year.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Shawn, around 2004 Mastodon, God Forbid, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, etc., started getting big on HBB2 and they certainly had the HT following, but yes, out of all those bands, I like them the most. I remember having the Remission album in 2002 and thinking that they were going to get bigger and progress. The follow-up album did not disappoint. Crack the Skye is the only album I haven't picked up yet.
Back to top Go down

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Crack The Skye is in my top 5 of 2009. I agree with sheets, they are the real deal despite the hype.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm

detuned wrote:
Crack The Skye is in my top 5 of 2009. I agree with sheets, they are the real deal despite the hype.

Agree - the album is awesome!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:34 pm

one of the most boring bands there is, IMO..and this one is the most tolerable one.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:41 pm

S wrote:
I don't think there is anything "Hot Topic" about their sound at all...heavy, progressive, complex...I think it's a matter of luck & timing that they have gotten as much mainstream acceptance as they have...that and they don't sound like all the other Lamb Of God/Killswitch Engage bands that are so popular amongst the Hot Topic crowd...they kinda stand out.
Actually, the metalcore style of Lamb of God and Killswitch is sort of not the Hot Topic crowd pleaser these days; it's bands like Mastodon and Baroness, those doomy sludgy screamo kind of bands.
Back to top Go down

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Actually, the metalcore style of Lamb of God and Killswitch is sort of not the Hot Topic crowd pleaser these days; it's bands like Mastodon and Baroness, those doomy sludgy screamo kind of bands.

wow, "screamo" is a term, interesting. Mastodon really doesn't sound anything like Baroness...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

wow, "screamo" is a term, interesting. Mastodon really doesn't sound anything like Baroness...
Actually, "screamo" has been a term for a long time now. And does Mastodon not mix doom and sludge and screaming vocals?
Back to top Go down

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Dude, you are a Categorian, you love that stuff. I don't feel the need to classify music into thousands of little pockets and sub-genres. Mastodon is more progressive rock than anything else at this point, nary a screaming vocal in sight.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

detuned wrote:
Dude, you are a Categorian, you love that stuff. I don't feel the need to classify music into thousands of little pockets and sub-genres. Mastodon is more progressive rock than anything else at this point, nary a screaming vocal in sight.
I actually don't. But if someone else is going to come up with a label and stuff a band in there, I'm just going to use it for clarity's sake. And Mastodon doesn't scream? Really? I'm not insulting the damn band.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 pm

I have not heard Crack the Skye. I really need to look in to getting some Mastodon. Out of the hand full of songs that I've heard, the one that I really loved is Sleeping Giant. Great song!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Metal H. Love it, Porcupine Tree and King's X! Crack the Skye 25679
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 am

Eyesore wrote:
And Mastodon doesn't scream? Really?

Not anymore. These days their vocal approach is mostly clean, and what screaming is left sounds more like Brian Johnson than anything else.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 am

Eyesore wrote:
detuned wrote:
I actually don't. But if someone else is going to come up with a label and stuff a band in there, I'm just going to use it for clarity's sake. And Mastodon doesn't scream? Really? I'm not insulting the damn band.

The little bit I've heard from them, the vocals were all screamy, growly stuff. I didn't care for it. However, if that's changed to a cleaner delivery, I'd be willing to give them a fair shake.

Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:12 pm

detuned wrote:
Metal H. Love it, Porcupine Tree and King's X! Crack the Skye 25679

Thanks dude! headbanger

Two of my top 5 favorite bands!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 7:50 pm

It was my favorite album of 2009.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crack the Skye Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crack the Skye   Crack the Skye Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crack the Skye
Page 1 of 1