Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Olympic Hockey

Go down 
+16
exact33
thejokeriv
Joe
TheGooch
7thSaviour
iamrockerfun
ultmetal
T-Roy
jstate
FlyingV
Required Fields
scottmitchell74
Lari
Metallic Blaze
Addy
SAHB Healer
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm not a big hockey fan because my eyesight doesn't allow me to follow the puck very well but I gotta say that gold medal game sure was fun to watch.

I was rooting for the USA but congrats to Canada and the US for a well-played gold medal game that even a non-hockey fan could appreciate.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:03 pm

A worthy final. No-one but Crosby could have scored that game-winner. That guy is clutch!

My boys Toews and Kane had large roles in that final game, too. Canada wins in overtime and they are the best team in the world. But a gutsy performance by team USA, for sure.

Excellent tournament. Now let's get back to what really matters.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Freakin Cindy Crosby.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Can't complain though I wanted the US to pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Freakin Sidney Crosby.....

Fixed! One of the top 2 players in the world (Ovechkin is the other).

Congrats to Canada. Great game to watch
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:32 am

QUESTION

I've been thinking the past week as the tournament wound down and the semifinals began to form the medal games. And so I thought I would ask.

Do you think the decision to use a NHL regulation size rink eliminated European teams from having a legitimate chance to contend for the gold medal? I think it's a questions worth asking.

At the very least, I believe it certainly favored the USA and Canada and definitely marginalized the Europeans. Do you think the outcome would have been different on an International rink?

I hope the tournament in Russia is held on an International size rink. I get tired of the uber crowded NHL style of play. And the Olympics have always been a refreshing change of pace.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 am

It had no effect. Almost all the (important) players of the top seven teams play in the NHL anyway. Besides, didn't Russia win the IIHF championship games last spring in Canada?

I think the bigger thing here (if you're looking for excuses) is the fact the games took place in the middle of the season. There's no time to work on complicated plays and teams that rely more on systems (Czechs, Swedes) cannot really get their game going as well as in the World Cup for instance, which takes place before the season starts. That's hardly an excuse though, as all teams were on that same level playing field. It came down to skill and ability more than coaching this time. The Canadians were just so good they were able to come and play well with any linemates and without much practise. Hard to beat them playing a simple game.

There's been four Olympic games with NHL players now. Canada has taken two gold. Czechs and Swedes have one. Finland is the only team with three medals.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 am

007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Freakin Cindy Crosby.....

Fixed! One of the top 2 players in the world (Ovechkin is the other).

Congrats to Canada. Great game to watch

Fixed!!!!! I root for the Capitals so I know Ovechkin Smile

Pittsburgh are the enemy!!!!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 am

Norway sucks no matter what size the rink is Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_lol .
I would say that the two best teams were in the final and the best team won.
I was expecting better from Sweden, but as Lari said most of them play in NHL anyway so it is a fair competition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:41 am

I don't think the best team won. They got lucky in OT.

They were hardly the better team when they had already been beaten once by the USA team.

Still, it was an exciting game, an exciting ending to the 3rd period, and in the end, the USA team ended up with a silver when most "experts" thought that Russia and Canada would be the gold and silver winners.

T-Roy wrote:
QUESTION

I've been thinking the past week as the tournament wound down and the semifinals began to form the medal games. And so I thought I would ask.

Do you think the decision to use a NHL regulation size rink eliminated European teams from having a legitimate chance to contend for the gold medal? I think it's a questions worth asking.

At the very least, I believe it certainly favored the USA and Canada and definitely marginalized the Europeans. Do you think the outcome would have been different on an International rink?

I hope the tournament in Russia is held on an International size rink. I get tired of the uber crowded NHL style of play. And the Olympics have always been a refreshing change of pace.

Since most of the teams were made up of NHL players, I don't see how it effected anything.

Lets Go Kings!
Lets Go Flyers!

Last edited by ultmetal on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:48 am

T-Roy wrote:
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS CANADA!!

What a game. How fitting the winning goal scored by the best player in the world as well!

GOOD JOB USA, YOU FOUGHT HARD!

The best player in the world. lol! Laughing very hard lol! Laughing very hard

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 am

ultmetal wrote:
I don't think the best team won. They got lucky in OT.

They were hardly the better team when they had already been beaten once by the USA team.

Still, it was an exciting game, an exciting ending to the 3rd period, and in the end, the USA team ended up with a silver when most "experts" thought that Russia and Canada would be the gold and silver winners.

T-Roy wrote:
QUESTION

Since most of the teams were made up of NHL players, I don't see how it effected anything.

Lets Go Kings!
Lets Go Flyers!
USA got silver....but I know that's what you meant!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 pm

It was an excellent game. I was certainly rooting for the USA, but felt happy for the Canadians - both the team and the crowd.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Quote :
The best player in the world. Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Lol Olympic Hockey - Page 4 201269 Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Lol Olympic Hockey - Page 4 201269

Spoken like a true Flyers fan Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm

I don't think you can pick a best right now.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 pm

007 wrote:
The best player in the world. Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Lol Olympic Hockey - Page 4 201269 Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Lol Olympic Hockey - Page 4 201269

Spoken like a true Flyers fan Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_wink[/quote]Flyers??? If your speaking of Sydney Crosby he playes for the Penguins, skippy.

And I'm a Sharks fan....who supplied about HALF the Canadian team! GO SHARKS!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 pm

ultmetal wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS CANADA!!

What a game. How fitting the winning goal scored by the best player in the world as well!

GOOD JOB USA, YOU FOUGHT HARD!

The best player in the world. lol! Laughing very hard lol! Laughing very hard

Agree with your post Ult!!!!! Especially when the GM that drafted Cindy Crosby said he would take Oveshkin over Crosby
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 pm

T-Roy wrote:
007 wrote:

Spoken like a true Flyers fan Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_wink
Flyers??? If your speaking of Sydney Crosby he playes for the Penguins, skippy.

And I'm a Sharks fan....who supplied about HALF the Canadian team! GO SHARKS!![/quote]

I know who Crosby plays for,slappy. I was referring to how Flyers fans hate Crosby and think he is way overrated (which is always going to happen with hyped up players)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 pm

007 wrote:
I know who Crosby plays for, slappy. I was referring to how Flyers fans hate Crosby and think he is way overrated (which is always going to happen with hyped up players)

Exactly! Way overrated. He's a pretty boy and the darling of the NHL, but hardly "the best player in the world". He wasn't even the best player in the Olympic games.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:26 pm

ultmetal wrote:
007 wrote:
I know who Crosby plays for, slappy. I was referring to how Flyers fans hate Crosby and think he is way overrated (which is always going to happen with hyped up players)

Exactly! Way overrated.
Laughing very hard
A Stanley Cup and a gold medal winning goal all by 23 years old. Yeah...TOTALLY overrated and exaggerated. lol!

He's definitely ONE of the best players in the world despite opposing fans distaste. Lets not be naive. If he wasn't, the Caps/Penguins game would be nothing more than an afterthought. It's the two best players in the world going head to head, thus all the hubub.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
007 wrote:

Exactly! Way overrated.
Olympic Hockey - Page 4 201269
A Stanley Cup and a gold medal winning goal all by 23 years old. Yeah...TOTALLY overrated and exaggerated. Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Lol

He's definitely ONE of the best players in the world despite opposing fans distaste. Lets not be naive. If he wasn't, the Caps/Penguins game would be nothing more than an afterthought. It's the two best players in the world going head to head, thus all the hubub.

Agreed on all accounts. They were trying to get the Pens/Caps at Heinz Field for one of the next Winter Classics (now THAT would be awesome) but apparently the NHL is going with the Rangers/Caps at Yankees Stadium (or whatever it's called).
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Wait.....did you call me slappy?? Olympic Hockey - Page 4 706602
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm

btw.
there is a big difference between Olympic IH and IH world championship.
one dominates Canada or US and other dominates EU teams. see the short history.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Crosby is only 22 years old. He doesn't have the absolute best support cast in Pittsburgh, but he's already led his team to Stanley Cup finals twice, winning the Cup once. He's been chosen league MVP, has a scoring title, even chosen as the best player by players themselves. Now he scores a timely goal to help his nation win Olympic gold... what more do you want?

He's also a more complete player than Ovechkin, for instance. He plays defense (when Ovechkin likes to cherry pick), is an uselfish player that dishes the puck and makes his linemates play better (while Ovechkin hogs the puck and over-extends his shifts). Ovechkin hits though, and that's a plus.

Yes, he was a bit of a whiner when he first came to the NHL, but he is certainly not doing it that much anymore. And if you don't see that, look again. He has matured a lot.

Of course, you CAN still hate him, go ahead. Being good doesn't mean you have to like a player. I know it's sometimes very irritating when a player is just a bit TOO perfect.

I always hated Joe Sakic. Mostly for scoring against my Hawks at the worst possible times. And Mike Modano... with those pearly whites and flawless two-way game. I also hate every Red Wing. And the Sedins. And Roberto Luongo... oh, the list could go on forever.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Wait.....did you call me slappy?? Olympic Hockey - Page 4 706602

Olympic Hockey - Page 4 337331
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Hockey   Olympic Hockey - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Olympic Hockey
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next