Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

William Du Val or Layne Stayely

Go down 
+3
Eyesore
Troublezone
fingers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

William Du Val or Layne Stayely Empty
PostSubject: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:47 pm

been listening to AIC's latest album Blue gives way to black and I love it one of my favourite AIC albums.

I actually prefer William Du Vall's voice to Layne Stayley since he's not so whiny like Layne is but however realistically Layne Stayley is better since he sings with more emotion and he is more of a beautiful singer than William Du Val.

But however since Jerry Cantrel contributes to the vocals in a big way it doesn't sound much different.

I am really digging their song acid bubble it is one of the most intense AIC songs i ever listened to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpmHg00Z_9k
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 pm

It's like comparing a five star steak dinner to taco bell... Layne is 100% better than Du Val. Where do you get "Layne is whiny"? He sang with feeling... Du Val is Ok but he has a nasally voice. I only bought the album because i'm a Jerry fan. The real AIC is dead.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm

It doesn't sound much different because Jerry always contributed a good amount, if not most, of the vocals.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It's like comparing a five star steak dinner to taco bell... Layne is 100% better than Du Val. Where do you get "Layne is whiny"? He sang with feeling... Du Val is Ok but he has a nasally voice. I only bought the album because i'm a Jerry fan. The real AIC is dead.

Well look I am completely aware my opinion will not at all be well received by many but right now I prefer William Du Vall's voice at the moment my opinion will most likely change if I get to see AIC live with him because judging how he sings the Layne era AIC material. Look I just find Layne's voice in some songs too whiny especially with the songs on the s/t album but I do dig his voice in songs like Bleed the Freak, We Die Young, I stay away, Rotten Apple, It Aint like that, Rooster and of course the awe inspiring Down in a hole those songs no ohter singer can sing like Layne.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
It doesn't sound much different because Jerry always contributed a good amount, if not most, of the vocals.

True. I never had the chance of listening to Jerry Cantrel's solo material but I got told it's the same which is good in a way
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Jerry's solo stuff is really good.

And Layne had a nasally voice, too. Haha.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Gotta go with Layne!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 2:31 am

fingers wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Well look I am completely aware my opinion will not at all be well received by many but right now I prefer William Du Vall's voice at the moment my opinion will most likely change if I get to see AIC live with him because judging how he sings the Layne era AIC material. Look I just find Layne's voice in some songs too whiny especially with the songs on the s/t album but I do dig his voice in songs like Bleed the Freak, We Die Young, I stay away, Rotten Apple, It Aint like that, Rooster and of course the awe inspiring Down in a hole those songs no ohter singer can sing like Layne.

I know you have the right to your opinion... but what songs on the debut are you suggesting Layne sounds whiny?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 2:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
Jerry's solo stuff is really good.

And Layne had a nasally voice, too. Haha.

I agree that Jerry's solo stuff is good... I don't hear Layne singing through his nose like Du Vall. Is there a particular song that features Layne singing with a nasally voice? I'd like to go back and listen to it and evaluate your comment.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 2:44 am

And another reason i would pick Layne over Du Vall is his songwriting skill. I don't see William coming up with anything remotely as successful as Layne's songwriting.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 4:37 am

I think they are both about the same.

I'm not a big Alice in Chains fan, but I'm starting to warm up to them a bit. I just bought their greatest hits album in fact.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Interesting... William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_scratch Layne's voice was upfront on his records but Du Vall's is mostly background to Jerry's lead.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Interesting... William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_scratch Layne's voice was upfront on his records but Du Vall's is mostly background to Jerry's lead.

I noticed that also on the album, it did not take away from the enjoyment of the CD, I have a feeling that maybe live Duvall sings alot more of the lead vocals then he did on the album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:00 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

I noticed that also on the album, it did not take away from the enjoyment of the CD, I have a feeling that maybe live Duvall sings alot more of the lead vocals then he did on the album.

He's probably decent in concert but maybe there was a reason no one noticed his other band (CWTF) before he joined AIC.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:42 am

Troublezone wrote:
fingers wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I know you have the right to your opinion... but what songs on the debut are you suggesting Layne sounds whiny?

its mostly on the song again his vocals I find really whiny I think thats the worst AIC song IMO
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:43 am

Troublezone wrote:
And another reason i would pick Layne over Du Vall is his songwriting skill. I don't see William coming up with anything remotely as successful as Layne's songwriting.
100% agreed headbanger
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:49 am

It took me ages to get use to Layne Stayley's voice in the beginning I became a fan of AIC a week after Layne Stayley died. It was a music program on TV that were playing AIC video clips paying tribute to Layne Stayley if I didn't see that program that night I wouldnt know of AIC
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:01 am

Quote :
its mostly on the song again his vocals I find really whiny I think thats the worst AIC song IMO

I'll agree, that's not their best song. His voice is usually more haunting...

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:05 am

fingers wrote:
It took me ages to get use to Layne Stayley's voice in the beginning I became a fan of AIC a week after Layne Stayley died. It was a music program on TV that were playing AIC video clips paying tribute to Layne Stayley if I didn't see that program that night I wouldnt know of AIC

I was a fan from the beginning, back when Facelift was a new release in 1990. I liked his low and haunting tone.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm

It's way too early for me to make a fair comparrison. DuVal is on his first album and like others have mentioned, barely audible. I like the new AIC album very much, but I think it's just too soon to compare singers. Let William get a few more albums under his belt.

PostSubject: Re: William Du Val or Layne Stayely   William Du Val or Layne Stayely Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

William Du Val or Layne Stayely
Page 1 of 1