Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?

Go down 
+23
holydiver97595
the sentinel
fingers
Ford.Prefect
FlyingV
SAHB Healer
MetalRob331
ultmetal
GrandNational
mc666
Ultimate.Nightmare
Fat Freddy
Jesusandmetal23
manny
Addy
Metal Misfit
tohostudios
rattpoison
Troublezone
Eyesore
Schbopo
Orion Crystal Ice
Metallic Blaze
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 am

metal is a vast genre. of course Disturbed would be included in it. to what extent, i haven't the authority to say.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 am

Maybe Ult can help: http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/disturbed.htm
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 am

mc666 wrote:
metal is a vast genre. of course Disturbed would be included in it. to what extent, i haven't the authority to say.

The most intelligent post in this thread IMO
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 am

They have some metal tendencies for sure. No, I don't think they could be classified as traditional heavy metal. Call 'em whatever you want, alternative-metal, nu-metal, hard rock, I don't know. They are just one of those bands I like but can't really explain why.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 am

To me they most certainly are a metal band. People are going to label bands whichever way they want, but I do not see them as any form of alternative. I think what your friend was saying is they are just "metal" with no form of sub genre behind it. I agree with him there, they are just metal..
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
To me they most certainly are a metal band. People are going to label bands whichever way they want, but I do not see them as any form of alternative. I think what your friend was saying is they are just "metal" with no form of sub genre behind it. I agree with him there, they are just metal..

Yeah, that is what he was trying to say.

I still disagree with him though.

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 am

I guess I consider them metal. Whatever they are they are one of the better bands of their ilk. As I've said before, I loved Alt-metal in the early to mid 90's, and I've tried hard to like it since, but Disturbed is one of the very few bands that has stuck for me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:40 am

I guess they are "Tarzan Metal". He has that grunt thing going on...
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:41 am

Troublezone wrote:
I guess they are "Tarzan Metal". He has that grunt thing going on...

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:25 am

Quote :
I don't think they could be classified as traditional heavy metal

There I agree but theyre a metal band nonetheless the question wasnt if they were considered a traditional metal band, but just a metal band
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:52 am

They are a type of metal (nu, alt, modern..whatever). I do like them somewhat but not a huge fan. They have some good, memorable songs in their catalog. I know their guitar player, Dan, is a huge admirer of classic metal guitarists such as Chris DeGarmo.
Back to top Go down
Ford.Prefect
Metal novice
Metal novice
Ford.Prefect

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Not really. I always thought they fell closer to some kind of "rock"
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I certainly don't include Disturbed in the same category as the nu metal bands. K0rn, Limp Biscuit, etc. Disturbed is different from them.

However, I was having a conversation with a local friend recently - and he told me that he considered Disturbed to be a 'metal' band. Just like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden - or anyone else along these lines.

He also classifies bands like K0rn, Limp Biscuit, etc - to be nu metal. But he goes as far as to think that Disturbed is an actual metal band.

So ... I was wondering. What do you think?

Personally, I'm a fan of Disturbed. I've picked up every one of their albums. I've seen them live two times. They are a great band.

But .... I honestly just don't see them as a metal band. Sure they have metal and hard rock elements. Heck, they even have solos on their newer stuff.

But to me - Disturbed is an alternative metal band. Not a true metal or hard rock band. They are a hybrid. Not actual metal - or hard rock.

I'm not starting this thread to argue, but just to have a discussion about this.

So ... what's your take?

Also, are you a fan of the band?

Metal? Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 201269 Hell no!!!! Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 308838

pop rock or alternative would be more appropriate. They suck!!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Why do you think they suck fingers?

I think they have a pretty cool sound actually.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I would say, certainly not "traditional" Metal, but a hybrid of both old and new schools. And, yes, I do like them. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:40 pm

I definitly would not consider them as Alternative that would be a HELL No!!! I consider them more Metal than Rock though I am not a fan my eldest is, Ive tried to like them
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 12:38 am

Sure, Disturbed is metal. Metal is such a sprawling advance of a genre, almost anything even remotely like rock/metal could be considered metal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:06 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Alright I was a bit harsh. I just find their songs very mediocre.

Too poppy in a Linkin Park sortta way sort of like Linkin Park would sound like if they did Grip Inc covers.

Their cover of Metallica's fade to Black sucked beyond words.

Their covers of land of Confusion and Shout were ok, however what I do give them credit for is at least they have guitar solos and there is no trace of emo, rap metal in their music. They also put the 2 days mall/metalcore bands to shame big time and of course the band I HATE the most the deftones
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:09 am

I think they are decent among the newer crop of bands from the late 90's. The later half of the 90's was pretty much garbage in the new metal band dept.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:17 am

Troublezone wrote:
I think they are decent among the newer crop of bands from the late 90's. The later half of the 90's was pretty much garbage in the new metal band dept.

ye you could say that. I would then label them B grade nu metal not as good as System of a Down, Sevendust and Rob Zombie though
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 8:35 am

I think as far as nu metal/alt metal goes - Disturbed is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:53 pm

fingers wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Too poppy in a Linkin Park sortta way sort of like Linkin Park would sound like if they did Grip Inc covers.

Their covers of land of Confusion and Shout were ok, however what I do give them credit for is at least they have guitar solos and there is no trace of emo, rap metal in their music. They also put the 2 days mall/metalcore bands to shame big time and of course the band I HATE the most the deftones

Disturbed is in no way poppy like Linkin Park. They are a more straight forward in your face band.
Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:25 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
fingers wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Disturbed is in no way poppy like Linkin Park. They are a more straight forward in your face band.

Very true.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:04 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
fingers wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

look comparing disturbed to linkin park is like comparing gold to plastic
but they got a few similarities particuarly with the vocals
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:05 am

To be honest, all I can say is 'probably'. I don't like trying to slot bands into genres and stereotyping, it means you miss out on a lot of cool bands. Having said that, i've never listened to Disturbed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?   Is Disturbed 'metal' to you? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Disturbed 'metal' to you?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next