Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EUROPE

Go down 
+25
Glower
TheGreatDuck
exact33
arachnoplasma
thejokeriv
kmorg
chewie
MetalGuy71
Lionheart™
manny
the sentinel
Lari
Getizzyback
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
Metal Misfit
iamrockerfun
Gilbert
stevegarveyfan
Metallic Blaze
krokus
nevermore
snooloui
7thSaviour
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Live they were just a classic, hard rock band! Totally '70's, early '80's vibe. They even played a Gary Moore song as a tribute right after he died. John is such an underated player, coming from the Thin Lizzy school of guitar-playing.

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Thin Lizzy meets Schenker meets Blackmore, IMHO...
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
with a little Yngwie thrown in.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 am

chewie wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I understand what you mean. But you must also not forget that Malmsteen and Norum comes from the same background, with the same influences. They are contemporaries. So I'm not sure Yngwie inluenced Norum all that much, they just come from the same school of guitar-playing.

Metal is Forever
chewie

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 pm

kmorg wrote:
chewie wrote:
TheGreatDuck wrote:

I understand what you mean. But you must also not forget that Malmsteen and Norum comes from the same background, with the same influences. They are contemporaries. So I'm not sure Yngwie inluenced Norum all that much, they just come from the same school of guitar-playing.

I think it is because I heard Yngwie waaaay before Norum that I forget that they are contemporaries. In the part of the US I lived in, we didn't hear about Europe until after The Final Countdown album came out.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:14 am

Bumpin' for some opinions.

I've recently revisited the first 3 Europe albums (s/t, Wings of Tomorrow and Final Countdown) and thought perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into their discography. The first 2 are slightly more "metal" and less polished and poppy as Final Countdown, but I enjoy all 3.

After the first 3 I mentioned, they have put out 7 other studio albums. Any essential albums that are "must-have"? Any that should be avoided at all costs? Any opinions, good, bad or indifferent towards their releases would be appreciated.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:53 am

I was a roadie for them - in the early 90's for what that's worth EUROPE - Page 4 47715
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:13 am

Glower wrote:
I was a roadie for them - in the early 90's for what that's worth EUROPE - Page 4 47715

Cool, I guess. Not really what I was looking for here, but if you have cool stories about tag-teaming a groupie with John Norum or doing rails of coke with Joey Tempest, feel free to share. Laughing

Speaking of John Norum, are his solo albums worth exploring?

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 am

Seems like a dream job. Carry a few boxes, drink some beer, watch a live show, and afterwards be the gatekeeper for all the girls wanting to get to Joey Tempest.

At least that's how I picture it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:29 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Glower wrote:

Cool, I guess. Not really what I was looking for here, but if you have cool stories about tag-teaming a groupie with John Norum or doing rails of coke with Joey Tempest, feel free to share. Laughing

Laughing very hard

Speaking of John Norum, are his solo albums worth exploring?

Yes. "Total Control" is absolutely stellar in my humble opine. Very good melodic metal with fine vocals by Goran Edman and a nice Thin Lizzy cover. I have sort of broken up Europe into 2 main eras: '83-'91 and '04-now. Out of this World and Prisoners in Paradise are good but continue on in the commercial synth driven vein of TFC; whereas, the five most recent "reunion" albums are much more 1970's influenced and blues tinged with elements of the stalwarts of that generation like UFO, Thin Lizzy, and Scorpions. Unless you are becoming a Europe die hard and have to own everything, I wouldn't bother with the two first era albums you don't have but rather get two of the last three (War of Kings and Last Look at Eden) and a live album like Live at Sweden Rock 30th Anniversary Show. Hope this info helps.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 am

the sentinel wrote:
Out of this World and Prisoners in Paradise are good but continue on in the commercial synth driven vein of TFC; whereas, the five most recent "reunion" albums are much more 1970's influenced and blues tinged with elements of the stalwarts of that generation like UFO, Thin Lizzy, and Scorpions.

Yea, that's kinda the direction I was leaning. I'm not necessarily looking for the hits when they were popular. I'm more interested in their later material when they stripped things back a little. I can always spin Final Countdown for that taste of nostalgia if I need it, but their more recent releases have me intrigued. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 12:51 pm

Anytime, brother.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Total Control and Face the Truth are both very good John Norum albums. The latter has a cover of the Thin Lizzy song Opium Trail that kicks ass!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm

chewie wrote:
Total Control and Face the Truth are both very good John Norum albums. The latter has a cover of the Thin Lizzy song Opium Trail that kicks ass!

His solo albums aren't just shredding instrumentals correct? He (or someone else) provides vocals for most of the tracks from what I can tell. I enjoy a good guitar instrumentalist (like Paul Gilbert), but I also appreciate guitarists that write songs with vocals (like Paul Gilbert)

Metal is Forever
chewie

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
chewie wrote:

His solo albums aren't just shredding instrumentals correct? He (or someone else) provides vocals for most of the tracks from what I can tell. I enjoy a good guitar instrumentalist (like Paul Gilbert), but I also appreciate guitarists that write songs with vocals (like Paul Gilbert)

Not instrumental shredfests at all. I think that there is 1 instrumental on each of those albums?.?.?.
Goran Edman and John Norum both sing on Total Control and Glenn Hughes and John Norum(also a duet with Joey Tempest) both sing on Face The Truth (I have both the U.S. and European pressings of this cd because they have a couple of different tunes from each other).

I forgot that his first album has another cover...... Back On The Streets from Vinnie Vincent Invasion!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 10:23 pm

I forgot that his first album has another cover...... Back On The Streets from Vinnie Vincent Invasion!

So did I. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Huge fan of this group, definitely don't think Final Countdown deserved to be on VH1's 50 Worst songs.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Imagine him speaking these words to you -
as if over beers - one of my favs
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 am

Anyone familiar with tempest's solo work?
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Anyone looking forward to this?

It kind of sounds like what Boston would sound like if Joey Tempest was their singer to me.

Last edited by Getizzyback on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm

When I think of Europe, I automatically think of The Final Countdown. Only. This new single sounds so much better than that. I really need to look further into their recent output. Cool tune!
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Red Kitty wrote:
When I think of Europe, I automatically think of The Final Countdown. Only.  This new single sounds so much better than that.  I really need to look further into their recent output.  Cool tune!

reading on Blabbermouth, this new album will come out next month sometime.....

I didn't even realize they were still recording new music, they put out a new album in 2015 too, I believe.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 am

Quote :
When I think of Europe, I automatically think of The Final Countdown. Only. This new single sounds so much better than that. I really need to look further into their recent output. Cool tune!

I would look into Last Look at Eden first. War of Kings is pretty good, but it takes a few spins to get into as a lot of the songs are kind of plodding.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

I would look into Last Look at Eden first. War of Kings is pretty good, but it takes a few spins to get into as a lot of the songs are kind of plodding.

Thanks! I'll do that...
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 pm

These guys are really channeling Uriah Heep on the new album!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EUROPE - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EUROPE   EUROPE - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EUROPE
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next