Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Empty
PostSubject: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 10:10 am

FINALLY! After some four years of searching on the internet and browsing through trade lists, I finally found a great rip of Solar Eagle's one and only demo, Charter to Nowhere, on the world wide interwebs. This, my friends, is by far one of the most skullcrushing demos I have ever heard. Their rare as hell 12" EP (which sells upwards of 500 USD most of the time) was already great, but this is even better. The sound is of LP quality, and sounds better than a lot of those early American metal LPs if you ask me.

Musically, these guys are kinda like the bastard child of early Queensrÿche and old Agent Steel, featuring an uptempo melodic and progressive sound, with a vocalist that's somewhere in between Geoff Tate, John Cyriis, and Midnight. They also kinda remind me of a more progressive and slightly rawer version of early Crimson Glory. It's unfortunate that these guys never recorded a full length album. If I had the money I'd release the demo and the 12" EP on CD, but alas!

I don't know if the mods are okay with me posting the link to download this in this topic (ult? Kmorg?), so if you want it you can PM me. If you love old fashioned US power metal as much as I do, you're definitely gonna dig this.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Since this is a demo, and long oop to boot I'll allow you to put a link here. Besides, I WANNA HEAR IT! Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Alrighty, there ya go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y43kgv4e1zz

The mediafire password is strappado. If you give me a while I'll get you a link to the 12" EP as well.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm

And here's the EP:

http://rapidshare.com/files/71175859/SOLAR_EAGLE_-_Solar_Eagle_EP__Can_-_1988_.rar

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Agent Steel, Queensryche and Crimson Glory comparisons? Sounds like my kinda meat.... shall give it a whirl and see what methinks...thanx!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 2:45 pm

So any opinions?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Sounds OK but not wonderful to me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
So any opinions?

Haven't had time to listen to it today, as the kids are running rampant thru the house in a post-holiday, chocolate fueled mania. Hope to get to it in the next day or two Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:28 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Sounds OK but not wonderful to me.

Really? I can't imagine anyone not loving scorchers like See and Chains of Gold, but oh well, to each their own!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:41 am

Gave this a first spin today, Boss... musically they're pretty damn good but WOW, that vocalist is the textbook definition of "acquired taste." He's obviously going for the Tate/Cyriis thing but IMO he couldn't hold either of those guys' jockstraps.

Will give 'em a few more plays and see if it grows on me any.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 am

Wow, the voice is pure Cyriis worship! The overall quality is of course nowhere near as good as the bands they set out to mimic. But as an obscure discovery, this works just fine.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm

I dunno, I got bored with most of the well known bands quite a while ago, so I'm always insterested in hearing obscure stuff, and Charter to Nowhere is definitely among the best US metal demos I've ever heard. Maybe it doesn't reach the greatness of Ample Destruction or The Spectre Within, but it's a lot better than a lot of well known albums imo.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 pm

I agree that a lot of big names and popular albums are way overrated and there are many great lost treasures if you look around.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks for the links Dave, you rule man. I'll give my thoughts in a bit. Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) 11840
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm

You're welcome man!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Listened to both again today, the music rules and the vocalist grew on me...haha. Even played both for my dad and he dug too. It took a few listens to actually "get" it, but not bad hunks of metal. Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) 11840
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Hahaha, your dad rules!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Hahaha, your dad rules!

Yeah, he digs most of the stuff I listen to. Ultimatum is his favorate I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)   Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solar Eagle (obscure US-styled power/prog/speed metal)
Page 1 of 1