Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Ritual

Go down 
+14
Fat Freddy
Black Coffee
7thSecond
Thrasher73
Rex
mc666
Leatherface
Metallic Blaze
Lurideath
Orion Crystal Ice
krokus
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
kmorg
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Someone tell me why Testament didn't get huge with this album. If Metallica can become a household name with the Black album then Testament should have at least been a force amongst rockers with this. It's not as fast as the early stuff but it's still freakin heavy and they do the ballady songs right. Electric Crown and Deadline are outstanding and I love Billy's vocals on this thing.
Enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I think it came too late. And it does sound sort of forced, as it is easily the most commercial Testament records. It was released by a band with lots of inner turmoil, and the album saw a band giving in for all kinds of compromise with the label, and a not-longer-so-fond-of-metal- guitar-player.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Quote :
Someone tell me why Testament didn't get huge with this album.

Don't know. Always sounded like a decent Testament album to me. Perhaps the songs weren't as memorable on past releases. The Ritual 436688

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:12 pm

It's nowhere near as good as the black album.
Back to top Go down

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

If by not as good you mean kills it, I agree.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

I always liked THE RITUAL too and i remember the UK HEADBANGERS BALL promoted this album a lot showing the great video clip of this record a couple of times. A underrated record in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 4:59 pm

I don't think Testament is that good in general, but they ARE pretty much always the band named RIGHT AFTER the 'big four'....I think they established themselves decently all things considered.....there's tons of bands as good who don't have half the visibility..
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm

It was obvious who the copycats were and what they were copying. That probably had a lot to do with why it was seen as second rate. Plus the production was nowhere near as good, nor were the songs themselves.

I remember getting this album the day it came out and being very disappointed with it. I used to listen to TESTAMENT all the time but this one didn't last long in my tape deck (remember those?).
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Well I love this album! Not sure why, but I do. I thoiught this was the most musical they had ever been and to me there was quite a bit of thought put in this. But if you remember, around the same time this came out, metal was being pushed away for that grunge crap.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I am a huge Testament fan and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

However, I must say that this is their weakest and worst album IMHO.

I still like it though, but barely.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 pm

A pretty decent record with a couple of very cool songs. I won't knock the record, but there was more filler on that one than strong ones IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:52 am

Leatherface wrote:
A pretty decent record with a couple of very cool songs. I won't knock the record, but there was more filler on that one than strong ones IMO.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 am

i thought that this was a good album. much like the "black album", it had commercial appeal. although it's not a thrash album, it's still a decent true metal album.

Last edited by mc666 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Quote :
I remember getting this album the day it came out and being very disappointed with it. I used to listen to TESTAMENT all the time but this one didn't last long in my tape deck (remember those?).

I know it's opinions and I respect yours but this is what you say 90% of the time.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I like this album, but what I think hurt it was that it all sounded to be much in the same tempo and dynamic range. It just kind of plodded along.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:48 pm

I remember getting it when it was first released and being let down.I was digging the stuff they did on Practice and Souls of Black then they come out with this.It has a darker feel to it IMO and not many of the songs stood out for me.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:24 pm

This one and Practice What You Preach are my two favorites. There are no bad Testament albums.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:43 pm

7thSecond wrote:
There are no bad Testament albums.

I agree!

The Ritual 11840
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It was obvious who the copycats were and what they were copying. That probably had a lot to do with why it was seen as second rate. Plus the production was nowhere near as good, nor were the songs themselves.

Yep. I remember the general consensus among the thrashers at the time. That being The Ritual was just Testament trying to follow in Metallica's footsteps, and failing.

The songs, production, and performances just weren't at the level they needed to be at; as opposed to, say, Countdown to Extinction, which was the same type of album, taking the same direction, but superior to The Ritual on every level.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:53 pm

I dunno, I never cared for THE RITUAL much other than the track "Electric Crown." The follow up, LOW, totally smoked it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:56 pm

^^ YES! "Low" and "The Gathering" both blow "The Ritual" completely & totally out of the water.

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's nowhere near as good as the black album.

BLUNT FORCE + NAIL + HEAD = WIN

You and I don't agree on all that much, ToB, but we're hand in glove on this one! Don't get me wrong - I'm a big Testament fan, and I think "The Ritual" is a solid disc, if somewhat uninspired. There ARE some great tracks on there, but overall it just isn't all that memorable, and the songs just don't hold up over the entirety of the album. With "the black album" however, it's a tour de force from the first track to the final seconds, and despite the fact that it's been drilled into my head via radio for the last 15 years, I still think it holds up today & is still a good listen. I suspect that "The Ritual" will remain the black sheep of the Testament discography, while TBA will continue its path to eternal infamy. The songs are key, and Metallica had them in spades during that period.

Here's the real test - I haven't listened to "The Ritual" in probably 3 or 4 years. It sits on my shelf, and other than the occasional track coming up at random on my iPod, it mostly collects dust. I haven't listened to TBA in about a year now. The only song I get stuck in my head from "The Ritual" is "Electric Crown" (awesome), whereas TBA has something in my head almost weekly. Now, I realize my buds & I played that CRAP out of that on cassette in high school, so that has something to do with it, but if "The Ritual" was even remotely in the same league of quality as TBA, I likely would have spun it more than 2-3 times a week after I purchased it. Never happened. I've probably listened to the whole album straight through maybe a half-dozen times (if that) in all the years I've owned it. I've played TBA countless times even since I've been married (12.5 years now). Sorry folks, TBA is just a better album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 5:55 pm

I agree that Metallica's "S/T" 'black' album is far superior to "The Ritual".

Testament on the whole though is far superior to Metallica.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 5:02 am

I'll take The Ritual over The Black Album or Countdown to Extinction any day! It's a good record with great lead guitar. And Chuck Billy is the most diverse metal vocalist out there...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 5:08 pm

I love the Ritual and it was my first introduction to Testament. I don't believe it is a weak album at all and apart from being slightly more commercial, I don't think a comparison to TBA is a good one. For me TBA is like Countdown & vice versa. The Ritual is more comparable to Overkill-I Hear Black, another great album tht differed from it's band's previous albums(and my first intro to Overkill as well). I guess for me it seems that a band's later albums I enjoy and that introduced me to them are the more berated (or less liked) albums from them (TBA, Countdown, The Ritual, I Hear Black, Fear Of The Dark, No More Tears, etc.).

BTW, Retrun To Serenity is one of the best songs ever IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Ritual Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ritual   The Ritual Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 am

Quote :
The Ritual is more comparable to Overkill-I Hear Black, another great album

I agree.
Back to top Go down