Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Katatonia Anyone?

Go down 
+11
rawr!
Shawn Of Fire
Velvet Creation
nevermore
T-Roy
AchrisK
GrandNational
Smindas
Eyesore
mc666
MetalGuy71
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 3:42 pm

So the new Katatonia album, Dead End Kings, is coming out in August.

They were giving away a song yesterday...it's called "Dead Letters" and it rules!!

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 6:38 pm

The riff to that song reminded me of Tool.

I like these guys, but they still haven't completely won me over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:13 pm

New album Dead End Kings is out now. If you want to listen before purchasing you can stream the entire album here...

http://blog.skullsnbones.com/katatonia-dead-end-kings-album-stream-online/

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Smindas wrote:
I caught these guys live at a festival earlier this year and honestly, they bored me to death. They were like a poor version of Anathema. Perhaps they sound better recorded, though.
I don't think I was a member back when this thread was made, but now that I was reading it though, and I fully understand I'm three years late, but I totally have to agree with this sentiment. Katatonia must be among the worst live bands I've ever seen in my life.

I mean, I know the whole goth / doom thing doesn't necessarily work well live (Sisters Of Mercy and Anathema were terrible, too, and I actually like Sisters of Mercy studio albums), especially if you're not that familiar with the music, but I just have to say, honestly, it was pretty dull. I've seen a ton of energetic bands that sucked when I later heard their recorded material, but Katatonia seem to be the polar opposite. They actually have nice tunes, but they just don't come across as a very appealing or interesting act when you see them perform live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, honestly, I'm not that excited about their studio albums either. I streamed the new album earlier and after awhile it just sounds like one long song.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 8:34 pm

I love Katatonia, but I'd never go see them live because I know I'd be bored. I love tons of folk bands and I don't go see them for the same reason.

I used to make an exception for Ani DiFranco because her live sets were electrifying, but she's gotten older, has settled down, gotten married, become a mother, so she's mellowed dramatically in recent years. Understandable, but I don't want a little fire behind someone's performance, you know.

Either way, Katatonia is a brilliant band. Picked the new one up today. Looking forward to listening to it.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Waiting on the new cd to arrive.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 am

I love this band. Over the last 5 years or so, they've become one of my favorite Metal bands.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Listening to the new album now on Spotify...4 songs in and so far it's reminding me a little of Discouraged Ones in that it has a laid back vibe, while still carrying the Katatonia trademarks.

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:00 pm

I listened to it yesterday, a couple tracks caught my attention (Hypnone & Buildings). I'll spin it again in a couple days to see what else jumps out.

Ken,

They are touring with The Devin Townsend Project & Paradise Lost starting next month.

Last edited by S.D. on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I keep listening to these guys, I really like a couple songs like Idle Blood and The Promise of Deceit i've heard off Night Is the New Day but not sure if i'll pull the trigger. They sort of remind me of Riverside yet don't draw me in as immeadiately.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 am

I fianlly picked up Dead End Kings at the record show yesterday...absolutely fantastic record! Spun it 3 times as I drove around running errands.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I've been recently spinning Dead End Kings a lot more over the last couple of days. It's definitely growing on me more with repeated listens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I've tried several times to get into this band but they really don't click with me, I think if they were a little more adventurous musically I might like them more.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 am

Wow, 3 years since my initial post about Katatonia and I never did investigate them any further. Guess I didn't like them that much. Laughing

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:30 am

I think they're a fantastic band. Every album beginning w/ Discouraged Ones has retained an identity while still being slightly different each time. With each album, there's some subtle thing(s) that were not done on the album before it. I just love the vibe they put off...

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:38 am

Do they have any albums that are a bit fast?

I've been listening to their music for some time now, and it is depressive!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 pm

They are issuing Sounds of Decay on LP for the first time, it features Mikael from Opeth on lead vocals.

Sounds of Decay LP
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 9:31 pm

They have a new cd coming out Sept 10th called Dethroned And Uncrowned. It's some of the Dead End Kings done acoustically if I'm not mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 3:24 pm

I first discovered them back in 2008, when I heard Code Against The Code on their myspace. I never thought about them again until I heard Teargas on youtube a few months ago. I've been listening to a bunch of their full lengths on youtube, and I'm impressed. I would really love to get their stuff. I love their early death/doom albums, and they did a great job evolving into the depressive stuff they do now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Katatonia Anyone?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: