Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Katatonia Anyone?

Go down 
+11
rawr!
Shawn Of Fire
Velvet Creation
nevermore
T-Roy
AchrisK
GrandNational
Smindas
Eyesore
mc666
MetalGuy71
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 am

This morning on the way into work, I heard a song called 'Forsaker' by a band Katatonia. It was a pretty interesting listen. I'm not sure how to classify it musically. Clean, layered melodic vocals with somewhat doomy, progressive music. Not super heavy, but rockin'. Is this song indicitive of their overall sound? Any fans here that can offer some opinions?

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 10:51 am

I LOVE Katatonia...as soon as they switched over to clean vocals in 1998 they became one of my favorite bands.

If you like "Forsaker", definitely get the new album Night Is The New Day...then start working backwards. This song is indicitive of the sound they've carried and played around with since 1998.

If you like, there is a box set called Black Sessions that covers 1998-2003 or 2004...2CD, 1DVD....Best of w/ b-sides and a live DVD...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 am

Yea, I'm doing a little background look into these guys and apparently they started out doing doomdeath but progressed away from that. I like what I'm hearing on their myspace page, so I might have to look into these guys some more.

http://www.myspace.com/katatonia

Wow, they have quite a bit of material out there. Lotsa ep's and stuff.

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 11:26 am

Yeah, they ususally put out 2 CD-singles/EP's per album with extra tracks, remixes, etc.

Yeah, the early stuff was more Death Metal...and actually Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth does all the Death vocals on their Brave Murder Day album...that album is only Death Metal in vocal style...the music is a more simple version of what they do now just with Death vocals...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 1:28 pm

i liked them up until Brave Murder Day & then sort of lost interest.

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 1:30 pm

mc666 wrote:
i liked them up until Brave Murder Day & then sort of lost interest.

It should also be noted that most Katatonia fans are divided into 2 camps...the Death Vocal camp and the Clean Vocal camp.

Katatonia Anyone? Fresse
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I actually like both eras, but I find that I like the stuff from Discouraged Ones on much better.
Back to top Go down

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Six-Pack Thunder Dong wrote:
I actually like both eras, but I find that I like the stuff from Discouraged Ones on much better.

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I caught these guys live at a festival earlier this year and honestly, they bored me to death. They were like a poor version of Anathema. Perhaps they sound better recorded, though.

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Smindas wrote:
I caught these guys live at a festival earlier this year and honestly, they bored me to death. They were like a poor version of Anathema. Perhaps they sound better recorded, though.

Yeah, they really don't sound anything like Anathema...in any of Anathema's phases...

I can see how some would consider them boring live because they don't move around a whole lot...especially the singer...he just kinda hovers around his mic stand...
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm a fan of the latter stuff. Need to be in the right mood to enjoy it, kind of like on these rainy days.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, I'm doing a little background look into these guys and apparently they started out doing doomdeath but progressed away from that....

I am gonna go ahead and take exception to this statement. Going away from death vocals is not necessary progression.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:48 pm

AchrisK wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yea, I'm doing a little background look into these guys and apparently they started out doing doomdeath but progressed away from that....

I am gonna go ahead and take exception to this statement. Going away from death vocals is not necessary progression.
PREACH IT Katatonia Anyone? 604261
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Katatonia Anyone? 778825
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm

AchrisK wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Eh, tomato, tomaaato. Whatever blows your skirt up I suppose. Katatonia Anyone? Icon_biggrin

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:10 pm

I don't see what's so insulting about saying a band progressed into using clean vocals...moving from one thing to another over time is progression, no? Or would it be better to say they evolved into a band that uses clean vocals?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:59 pm

I love Katatonia. I like both eras of the band but their last couple of releases have been incredible.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't see what's so insulting about saying a band progressed into using clean vocals...moving from one thing to another over time is progression, no? Or would it be better to say they evolved into a band that uses clean vocals?
**death growl voice** Just messin' with you! Katatonia Anyone? 506406
Back to top Go down

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
**death growl voice** Just messin' with you! Katatonia Anyone? 506406

Well stop it!!! Katatonia Anyone? 308838
Back to top Go down
Velvet Creation
Metal student
Metal student
Velvet Creation

Number of posts : 126

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 8:10 am

I don't really like much of the later stuff, I find it very inconsistent and sometimes really boring. I still think Brave Murder Day is an absolute masterpiece, however they have a lot of good songs with clean vocals. Funny thing is that their best song ever imo is Teargas, which is a song with clean vocals. Deadhouse is also another brilliant song.
Back to top Go down

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 2:53 am

Just ran across this band tonight while watching videos on youtube. First impression was quite favorable, the stuff I heard was from the album "Viva Emptiness".

Will need to investigate them further.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Just noticed something:

I own the 2-disc version of The Great Cold Distance with one disc being a DVD w/ the 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the album.

Well, the CD is labeled as the DVD and vise versa...confusing... lol!

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 10:35 pm

So far I like their latest album and their album with Akerfeldt (Brave Murder Day) the best.

I have Live Consternation but haven't listened to it yet (still in "the pile").

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 pm

detuned wrote:
So far I like their latest album and their album with Akerfeldt (Brave Murder Day) the best.

I have Live Consternation but haven't listened to it yet (still in "the pile").

Honestly, while all the albums vary, I don't think they have a bad one...
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 am

ive never listened to a (full or anywhere near full) katatonia album but im a fan....i just heard enough about them over time to know id like them some. ive heard their older material and newer material and when i saw them live they put on a pretty good show. it was a very small venue so the mood was more properly set. and i wasnt expecting something more or different than i got. since id only rarely be in the mood for anything like katatonia, i havent really gotten around to procuring some yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Katatonia Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Katatonia Anyone?   Katatonia Anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Katatonia Anyone?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: