Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?

Go down 
+23
Orion Crystal Ice
Getizzyback
GrandNational
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
scottmitchell74
jstate
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Required Fields
tohostudios
Eyesore
Schbopo
akeldama
XYZ
thejokeriv
Addy
snooloui
rattpoison
manny
Troublezone
fingers
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 6:12 pm

I loved rap until about 1991. After that I just got bored with it. I still love the stuff from the eighties - it's crazy the prices some of those old cds command. Tough being a collector of it.

I remember Ice T, Sir Mix-A-Lot, KRS-One, and Flavor Flav were all openly big metal fans back when such things could ruin your street credibility.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:29 pm

I think i remember seeing a pic of Scarface from the Ghetto Boys wearing a Metal Church shirt once.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 pm

jstate wrote:
I loved rap until about 1991. After that I just got bored with it. I still love the stuff from the eighties - it's crazy the prices some of those old cds command. Tough being a collector of it.

I remember Ice T, Sir Mix-A-Lot, KRS-One, and Flavor Flav were all openly big metal fans back when such things could ruin your street credibility.

Old school rap is the best, anything after the mid-90s sucks (and much of it in the early 90s. I like a lot of the 80s stuff and as far as the 90s I like Onyx, House Of Pain, Cypress Hill, & a few others (however I don't listen to it often, like Ult I only get a rap urge about once a year).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:30 pm

It's funny, back in the 80s I didn't like what is now considered "old school" rap at all. But when I hear, say, Public Enemy or Ice-T nowadays I dig it. Especially compared to the stuff that's coming out these days...

When I was in high school I worked @ a lumber yard and I was the only white kid on the crew. The rest of the guys were older (in their 20s) and lived in Newark, and they were way into KRS-One, Public Enemy, Schooly D. and all the now-classic stuff. So I was hip to that a couple of years before "Yo MTV Raps" hit the airwaves and crossed it over to most suburban kids. When Anthrax and Public Enemy did "Bring the Noise" together and rock critics were hailing it as the best thing since canned beer, I remember thinking "Eh. The original version was better." Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:50 pm

There's a lot of good rap still coming out. It's simply not mainstream. Despite never trying marijuana and not understanding how people can constantly rap about it, I think Kottonmouth Kings and a lot of their side-bands are excellent. But they have tons of very positive tunes. I also like how they mix in punk rock with hip hop.