Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?

Go down 
+23
Orion Crystal Ice
Getizzyback
GrandNational
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
scottmitchell74
jstate
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Required Fields
tohostudios
Eyesore
Schbopo
akeldama
XYZ
thejokeriv
Addy
snooloui
rattpoison
manny
Troublezone
fingers
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Empty
PostSubject: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:44 am

My theory that rap is going in the same phase as heavy metal was in the 80s and I reckon some form of music somewhere in 2011-12 will crush the genre like grunge did to metal in the early 90s and rappers will go through the same problems as hair metal bands went through in the 90s.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:16 am

It would be nice... but rap is much more radio friendly than metal and most people are trendy.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 7:17 am

the old skool rap rules, I am talking about the era between when nwa released their debut album to the day tupac got shot
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:41 am

I don't see that happening, Rap/hip hop is a stronger cultural force than even hard rock and heavy metal is.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:54 am

Not in our lifetime buddy. Hip-Hop's been a major part of the music/pop landscape for 30 years now, what makes you think that's going to change overnight. Applying what happened in hard rock music 20 years ago to Hip Hop now is strange to say the least, the musical landscape 20 years ago may as well be million years ago.

I guess you can compare the vapid excess of the more visible and commercial Hip-Hop that pervades the top 40 with that of the late 80's/early 90's "Hair Metal" scene.

Nirvana pegged back that excess but did it really change anything, what's to say Nickelback aren't the Hair Metal of yesteryear minus the hairspray and flamboyance. Crap is always going to around in one form or another. Outkast may have been the Nirvana of hip hop in the last 10 years and turned hip-hop as an art on it's head but it hasn't really changed a thing in regards to the charts!
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 am

Hopefully, but probably not.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 am

Old Skool for me would be up to Pre NWA, like Grandmaster Flash, Doug E Fresh, heck throw in some Biz Markee

though to me Rap is not relevant to me, I like some but if it survives it wont change my day or year
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 am

Not going to happen - Back in the 80's, I thought that cRAP would just be a fad and go away. Almost 30 years later, looks like I was wrong.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I work with a lot of hip-hop fans and, in all honesty (not that I can tell) they say a lot of it is so commercial and repetitive now that it's all a bunch of crap...they have to go to the underground to find good, original, pure hip-hop...

Sound familiar?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I work with a lot of hip-hop fans and, in all honesty (not that I can tell) they say a lot of it is so commercial and repetitive now that it's all a bunch of crap...they have to go to the underground to find good, original, pure hip-hop...

Sound familiar?

Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Lol
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:55 pm

I wish it would but it's highly unlikely, I thought it would die out like Disco did but... I used to listen to NWA, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Geto Boys, etc. when I was like 9 and that stuff is still ok to hear once in a while but this newer stuff especially when people like Jay-Z and P. Diddy (artists from the late 90's to now) came out I thought/think it was all crap. This is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:23 pm

No. Like it or not, rap has lots of staying power.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 3:49 pm

fingers wrote:
My theory that rap is going in the same phase as heavy metal was in the 80s and I reckon some form of music somewhere in 2011-12 will crush the genre like grunge did to metal in the early 90s and rappers will go through the same problems as hair metal bands went through in the 90s.
How do you figure this? Rap has been extremely popular since the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:26 pm

They just need to have the original old skool sound again like Sugarhill gang, etc you know when it sounded intelligent
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Addy wrote:
They just need to have the original old skool sound again like Sugarhill gang, etc you know when it sounded intelligent

Tonto, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Kemosabi, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Custer, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Apache, jump on it, jump on it, wowowowowowowowowo!!
A-hunga-hunga-hunga-hunga

Yep, that's some intelligent stuff right there.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Addy wrote:

Tonto, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Kemosabi, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Custer, jump on it, jump on it, jump on it...
Apache, jump on it, jump on it, wowowowowowowowowo!!
A-hunga-hunga-hunga-hunga

Yep, that's some intelligent stuff right there.

LMAO
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Wishful thinking IMO.

This crap ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 9:54 pm

I doubt it.

As a metalhead, one thing I do find interesting about the underground/independent rap scene is that a fair number of these rappers have actually mentioned they like metal. Not only that, they aren't just guys who are only know a few songs by a few mainstream metal bands, but are actual metal fans. That's pretty cool, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:01 am

I know it's hard to believe, but rappers are musicians/artists like any other...with varying tastes and likes...I know rap fans here where I work who love AC/DC and Red Hot Chili Peppers and Elvis Costello...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 am

I like some old school rap. I like S.F.C., Run DMC, Mantronix, Public Enemy, Dynamic Twins, Boogie Down Productions, etc. I am included to listen to it maybe once or twice a year, then it's out of my system.

I'm not a fan of most of the modern stuff. My kids listen to some of it and it doesn't interest me in the slightest. This pop stuff like Soldier Boy is barely even music IMO. But then, I am old, so who gives a rip what a 41 year old thrash singer thinks.

Frankly, I don't really care how popular it is. Rap doesn't really affect me one way or the others. If other people like it, more power to 'em.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:46 am

Quote :
Frankly, I don't really care how popular it is. Rap doesn't really affect me one way or the others. If other people like it, more power to 'em.

Yea, this is about right.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Will rap be crushed in the 2010's?   Will rap be crushed in the 2010's? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Proof that God is a comedian.