Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

digipaks

Go down 
+14
metalheaded
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
snooloui
INVADERS
Chairman_Smith
Ben Grimm
GrandNational
Wargod
kethdredd
Garyah
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Garyah
Metal novice
Metal novice
Garyah

Number of posts : 27

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 9:41 pm

"The CD is wrapped by a standard digi-pack, which unfortunately is becoming the industry standard."

I took the above quote from the review of the Guardian reissue of "First Watch" which is digipak because I didn't want to goof it up trying to remember it. Hey Ult, does this mean you don't care for digipaks? Personally, I love digipaks. I'm sick of plastic jewel cases because they often break. Just today my case for the Saint Collection broke, and I don't know how to replace it because it's a double disc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/garyah1962
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 9:52 pm

I hate Digipaks, if your jewel case breaks, you get another one, if your digipak gets messed up, you smurfette about digipaks.

I'm actually planning on going digipak free in 2010, part of my small protest against the man.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 10:00 pm

I for one love digipacs and digibooks. I like jewels as well and yes you can buy single, double, triple cases if you want.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm

kethdredd wrote:
I hate Digipaks, if your jewel case breaks, you get another one, if your digipak gets messed up, you smurfette about digipaks.

I'm actually planning on going digipak free in 2010, part of my small protest against the man.

100% agreed. I refuse to buy albums that come in digipaks, even if it's one I've been wanting to get really badly. Replacing a broken jewel case is easy and inexpensive, but once that digipak tears at the sides or gets smooshed in, forget about it. Plus, there is no one standard type of digipak. I've owned at least 4-5 styles, and they've all sucked.

Last edited by GrandNational on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Digipacks suck
I hate when I buy the deluxe version of a release and it comes in a digipack, but the regular version is in a jewel case. That is stupid I payed extra for a digi, why why did the record comapny think the deluxe needed a digi pak, are they going green? Well that does not make sense because the deluxe editions don't typically sell as many copies as a regular edition. Thank you record company for giving me a crappy cardboard sleeve to put my cd in and get it all scratched up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 3:32 am

Depends on how cheap and crappy the digipack is. Theres nice Digipacks and theres thin crappy worthless digipacks.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 5:13 am

I love digipacks but hate it when the covers and corners get scuffed. Makes parts of my collection look like shite.
Back to top Go down

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 7:35 am

Labels are going to go for whatever's cheaper. Standards change. Those who boycott digipaks and MP3's will eventually just stop buying music.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 8:14 am

Digipaks aren't that bad, but as said, you can't just replace the case as it is the case. Actually playing a CD would probably get the digipak all scuffed up, so it's a stupid idea.
Back to top Go down

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 8:35 am

Digi-books, like the way the first OSI disc was packaged, with an actual spine and the CD inside a folder like vinyl, is the way to go, IMO...but I hear that's pretty expensive.

Good, solid digipaks, if they could find a way to replace the "teeth" that hold the CD with a dry, rubber plug ON a plastic tray to protect the disc face, would be fine, IMO. But that clear, rubbery little plug they use now is too "gooey"...something drier, like matte black, dry, with just enough give in it to press the CD down on would be better.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:05 am

The AC/DC Black Ice CD comes in a digibook, and I do not enjoy having to put the CD in a little slot at the back, especially since it opens at the top and bottom. Still it's okay as long as it's only a couple of CDs that have this, rather than all.
Back to top Go down

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 am

Plastic jewel cases, for the labels that continue to produce CD's, will eventually phase out...there's no stopping it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am

Digipaks look cool if they're done right (sorta like having a little hard cover book) but as y'all have already stated, if you break a CD jewel case, you can just replace it with another case... if something happens to one of your digi's, you're pretty much screwed unless you buy another copy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:41 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Digi-books, like the way the first OSI disc was packaged, with an actual spine and the CD inside a folder like vinyl, is the way to go, IMO...but I hear that's pretty expensive.

Good, solid digipaks, if they could find a way to replace the "teeth" that hold the CD with a dry, rubber plug ON a plastic tray to protect the disc face, would be fine, IMO. But that clear, rubbery little plug they use now is too "gooey"...something drier, like matte black, dry, with just enough give in it to press the CD down on would be better.

I can't stand those things and unfortunatly Retroactive is guilty of using them. Digipacks are not too bad (though I prefer jewel cases) but I agree with you that they need a better way to do them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:49 am

Hate them already, and some I see are even cheaper than before. I didn't pick up the new Pelican yet because I can bend that particular digi in half with two fingers. I was shocked. It's as bad as the budget best-ofs you see in Barnes & Noble.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Digipaks look cool if they're done right (sorta like having a little hard cover book) but as y'all have already stated, if you break a CD jewel case, you can just replace it with another case... if something happens to one of your digi's, you're pretty much screwed unless you buy another copy.

Good points - at least you can replace jewel cases, which I like. The AC/DC deluxe edition was done right. The KISS Sonic Boom could have been much better.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 10:58 am

The moral of this story is..you can't trust the system!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:00 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I can't stand those things and unfortunatly Retroactive is guilty of using them. Digipacks are not too bad (though I prefer jewel cases) but I agree with you that they need a better way to do them.

Retroactive has stopped using the rubber knobs. They now use the standard digis. I pefer jewel cases, though I have a ton of digis as well. I take good care of my CDs, but sometimes jewel cases break. They are easily replaceable. If you digi breaks, it's not replaceable. That's what I don't like about them. I also don't like the fact that some record companies have stopped producing booklets for their CDs. Retroactive is one of those companies. The new Guardian re-issue has not booklet, which I find disappointing. A "special edition anniversary album" shouldn't be without one IMO. When they released our Lex Metalis CD I requested that the album be put out as a regular jewel case CD and that it have an 8-page booklet.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:06 am

ultmetal wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Retroactive has stopped using the rubber knobs. They now use the standard digis. I pefer jewel cases, though I have a ton of digis as well. I take good care of my CDs, but sometimes jewel cases break. They are easily replaceable. If you digi breaks, it's not replaceable. That's what I don't like about them. I also don't like the fact that some record companies have stopped producing booklets for their CDs. Retroactive is one of those companies. The new Guardian re-issue has not booklet, which I find disappointing. A "special edition anniversary album" shouldn't be without one IMO. When they released our Lex Metalis CD I requested that the album be put out as a regular jewel case CD and that it have an 8-page booklet.

Awesome!!! A lead screamer that understands what the fans really want!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:19 am

Though our newest demo is only a demo, it sounds quite good, looks
quite good, and I oversaw every aspect of how it was put together
despite our limitations, and now there's a good looking silver CD IN A
JEWEL CASE that has the lyrics and so forth for the real fans (if there
are any digipaks Lol ).
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 am

I don't like digipaks much, although I can tolerate them. I don't use slotted CD racks, anymore, so that's not really why; although it was annoying when I did, 'cuz they don't fit properly in them. I just don't like the fact that they can get scuffed and/or bent so easily.

As long as they're built sturdily, I don't complain too much. But if they just keep getting cheaper and cheaper, then I may just have to modify them myself and put them in jewel cases, as long as they continue to sell blank cases.

What aggravates me the most is when a new album comes out by a band, it's in digipak format, I buy it...then later they have it in jewel case (Death Magnetic is a perfect example)! Now that's stupid and doesn't make sense to me. However, in the case of Metallica, I did get it only a couple of days after its release, so I got the $8.88 Walmart discount price for new releases, lol...so I don't complain much about that one.

Ultimately, I DO NOT EVER want the industry to go completely to mp3s!!! No no no no!!! angry That's an abomination. I'll take any kind of physical product over intangible mp3s any day!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:49 am

[quote="thejokeriv"]
ultmetal wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

That's cause I'm a fan too. digipaks 11840

Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:14 pm

agreed! i am big one to read credits,liner notes and i love to look at the band pics and the lyrics! i love the fact the "puppet of destruction" remaster has such a great selection of great band pics! tell em,scott,musicans and promotional managers make great fans too!! digipaks 795291

I have picked up jewel cases either bulk at sams club reasonable and also sometimes at my local dollarstore. agreeing again with scott; at least my cds are protected that way.from gettin wet or damp or if they crack.digipacks do nothing for me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The KISS Sonic Boom could have been much better.

The SONIC BOOM packaging sucked. The cardboard on the spine of that CD is so thin and floppy that I'm afraid it's gonna wear away eventually just from normal everyday use.

Whose bright idea was it to give the album disc itself a plastic tray to sit in like it should, but the bonus CD and bonus DVD just slipped into little pockets in the cardboard flaps? digipaks 19976

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I hate digipaks but I am afraid that is the way of the future, and what I really this like is the cheap paper sleeves some labels have used for example on the first issue of Ozzy's 'Black Rain" was nothing but a cheap paper sleeve, I waited til the jewel case version was released.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

digipaks Empty
PostSubject: Re: digipaks   digipaks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

digipaks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: