Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Performing their "Signature Song"

Go down 
+7
manny
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
exact33
MetalGuy71
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Performing their "Signature Song" Empty
PostSubject: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Inspired by a discussion in the WASP thread, I'm gonna throw this out as a seperate topic.

For many, if not all, established bands, certain songs in their catalog become synonomous with the artist themselves. The song, usually, but not always a fan favorite hit, becomes the band's signature song. Even folks that don't know the band or musical genre can usually identify "that one song" just by naming the band. Motorhead has 'Ace of Spades'. Bon Jovi has 'Livin' on a Prayer'. Mention Thin Lizzy, most people would say "Oh the guys that sing 'The Boys Are Back In Town'". It might not be the band's best song (Warrant's 'Cherry Pie'), or even a song they wrote (Great White's 'Once Bitten...Twice Shy'), but it's the song that put them on the map for whatever reason.

Bands over the years usually go through a love/hate relationship with their signature song. Some might pull them from the set-list, but more often than not, they [eventually] begrudginly accept it as part of the band's history and play the song every night on stage.

Should bands be obligated to play their "signature songs" for the sake of the fans? Or as an artist , should they have the right to retire songs that they feel are overplayed or perhaps what they feel is not their best work without suffering the wrath of their fanbase?

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:45 pm

I think they should want to play their signature stuff for fans. I dont mind throwing in new tracks for shows but they should want to play the stuff that got them to the party...

Alex

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Nostalgia is big right now. A band has to play what is familar if they want a succesful tour. Being hardly any $ is made anymore with product sales. The cash is found on the road.

When the nostalgia thing that is current breaks apart, I see bands (especially older ones) doing the obscure tour. Going back and picking out tunes from the catalog that were either never played live or just on the particular tour associated with that lp.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 pm

I personally hate the "signature song" thing. How many times can you go to Maiden and hear Run To The Hills or Number Of The Beast? Yes I love those songs but I would gladly replace those songs with something that barely gets any play.

I only seen Metallica once but I have a bunch of live cd's, videos etc and they always play Enter Sandman. If I don't hear that song for the rest of my life I probably wouldn't care. Again I do like the song but I have gotten sick of it over the years because I've just heard it way too many times.

With Phoenix Reign our signature song was Another Night Alone, and it still kind of is. We don't play it as much as we used to because I think that we have moved beyond that and we have some other songs that are stronger. People still like it though.

I think that its ok to play those songs but it would be nice for bands to mix things up once in a while.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I personally hate the "signature song" thing. How many times can you go to Maiden and hear Run To The Hills or Number Of The Beast? Yes I love those songs but I would gladly replace those songs with something that barely gets any play.

I only seen Metallica once but I have a bunch of live cd's, videos etc and they always play Enter Sandman. If I don't hear that song for the rest of my life I probably wouldn't care. Again I do like the song but I have gotten sick of it over the years because I've just heard it way too many times.

With Phoenix Reign our signature song was Another Night Alone, and it still kind of is. We don't play it as much as we used to because I think that we have moved beyond that and we have some other songs that are stronger. People still like it though.

I think that its ok to play those songs but it would be nice for bands to mix things up once in a while.

totally understand that feeling but as a ticket buyer I would like to hear those songs that made the band what they are. I say play the old and play the new.

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:07 pm

I think the band/artist should do what they want to do. They were doing what they wanted when they wrote/recorded what became thier signature song, and they should continue to do so even if it means never playing it again if that's what they want.

Nobody asked for "Cherry Pie" or "Run To The Hills" to become a signature song...it just happened...so if the band chooses to retire it for one tour or forever, that's thier perogative.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
How many times can you go to Maiden and hear Run To The Hills or Number Of The Beast?

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis? Maiden have always mixed up their set lists. Shoot, I was on my third Maiden show before I finally heard'em do "Run To The Hills!"

But seriously folks... it depends on the band for me, I guess. I've seen AC/DC a couple of times over the years and yea, I'm a little sick of "You Shook Me All Nite Long" (okay, maybe a LOT sick), and I'll admit that I sat down and took a breather when I saw Metallica this past January and they busted into "Enter Sandman" for the billionth time, but by the same token I understand that if they didn't play those songs, the crowd would not let the band leave the venue alive...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:27 pm

I totally agree with Shawn.The band should do whatever they want to.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Mixed feelings really, as a fan of KISS or AC/DC or Alice Cooper, I sometimes wish they would mix up their set with rarely performed deep cuts but I also would be disappointed, no matter how sick I am of 'Rock n Roll All Night' , 'Back In Black' or "I'm Eighteen' where not performed.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Hmmm.........

Maiden - Run To The Hills isn't always performed!!!!! The only three Maiden songs that are always in the set list are Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden and Fear Of The Dark. The rest is up to the band!!!!

Megadeth - Peace Sells, thanks to MTV News - still a great song

Stryper - Honestly - I won't cry if I never heard this one again!!!!

KISS - Rock And Roll All Nite - I am sick of this one, but they have to do it live
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Honestly, I think that it is pretty darn silly that certain songs become "signature songs" because even if I was new to say, Ozzy for an example, hearing Paranoid & Iron Man played would not excite me at all because 1) IMO there are better Sabbath era tunes 2) after playing these songs for close to 40 years in a live setting, you cannot tell me he would not be going through the motions.

As far as signature songs go, I think it is cool that Los Lobos has as far as I have heard, NEVER played La Bamba in a live setting. (Though not a metal band.)
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I would be totally pissed if I saw Molly Hatchet and they didn't play "Flirtin' With Disaster".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:41 pm

metalken wrote:
As far as signature songs go, I think it is cool that Los Lobos has as far as I have heard, NEVER played La Bamba in a live setting. (Though not a metal band.)

Well, not since 1985 anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDHjoyimeGY

Oh wait. Make that this past September...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpP3kfcAtE

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm

I think the band should do what they want. Total artistic freedom.

However, I am a bit dismayed when I go see one of my favorite bands and they are missing that certain song from their set. It happened to me last May when I saw Queensryche. They didn't play "Silent Lucidity" and I was a little bit disappointed. Not pissed per say.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 7:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalken wrote:

Well, not since 1985 anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDHjoyimeGY

Oh wait. Make that this past September...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxpP3kfcAtE

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Performing their "Signature Song"   Performing their "Signature Song" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Performing their "Signature Song"
Page 1 of 1