Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

most underated guitarist/team

Go down 
+11
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Smindas
MetalGuy71
kmorg
rattpoison
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Required Fields
mc666
fingers
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Tipton/Downing underrated? They set the standard in metal for guitar duo teams!
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 9:24 pm

There aren't many duo's left in metal anymore. Band members seem to change far too often for any duo to develop the chemistry that Tipton/Downing had. Some individual guitarists that are underrated, IMO:

Andy LaRocque
Wolf Hoffman
"Metal" Mike Chlasciak
Roy Z
Lou St. Paul
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 pm

[quote="MetalGuy71"]
fingers wrote:
Tight N' Steel wrote:
How do you figure Downing/Tipton are overrated.

Sorry about that I meant underated. F***!!!!!!! how could I mean something like that? I mean Glen Tipton and KK Downing are highly underated. It really pisses me off that they are not displayed on guitar magazines like Guitar World and Total Guitar that much and are overshadowed by Kirk Hammet, and some of the trashy nu metal guitarists

Fingers, no offense, but I think you're just too young to remember the Tipton/Downing hey-day of the 80's. They were all over the magazines. They might not get the same press these days, but they've certainly had their time in the lime-light.

True. I was too young and I only got into metal when I was 13 which was back in 1999 but I meant these days mostly they don't get the recognition they deserve of course they would of appeared frequently in magazines back in the turbo/ram it down era. I still think they are underrated they are overshowded by Kirk Hammet who is in my opinion very overrated the only guitar solo I really like from him is the one he did in The Struggle Within and also guitarists from KoRn, Slipknob and John Frusciante in the guitar magazines. Kerry King says the same thing about Tipton/KK Downing and hes spot on.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:38 am

Tight N' Steel wrote:
How do you figure Downing/Tipton are overrated.

he actually said underrated and it is true they are

hetfield and hammet always seemed good pairing to me.

iommi was underated also and is one of my favourite guitar players
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 7:47 am

Quote :
Tipton/Downing hey-day of the 80's.

Im a product of the 80's and yeah for awhile there they were on the cover of many guitar mags but still, in my opinion, they didnt get all the respect they deserved.

Kinda like Adrian Smith and Dave Murray. Those guys also wrote some of the book on guitar duos. They both can stand alone and wail as well. Adrian is a big influence in my playing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 8:12 am

Rocky George / Mike Clark
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:03 am

A couple more...not duos just underrated

Bobby Gustafson - Overkill
Kenny Powell - Omen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 9:43 am

Underrated guitarist: Ty Tabor (King's X)

Underrated team: Brad Gillis / Jeff Watson (Night Ranger)
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 4:13 pm

i would say that kerry king and jeff hanneman are not overated as such but more like a very well known and respected duo/ kerry king hogs all the attention though so jeff hannmen comes across as more underrated but not by a lot
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:14 pm

Let's see:
The H-Team (Rick "I Got Riffs" Hunolt and Gary "So Do I" Holt) from Exodus
Mille Petrozza from Kreator on Extreme Aggression and Coma of Souls let out the odd great solo (compare the Endless Pain era solos to People of the Lie...it's amazing how much he progressed)
Rob Urbinati of Sacrifice (very cool player, and a cool guy, too)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 8:04 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i would say that kerry king and jeff hanneman are not overated as such but more like a very well known and respected duo/ kerry king hogs all the attention though so jeff hannmen comes across as more underrated but not by a lot

It's Kerry King mostly, he always gets too much attention in guitar magazines. I agree that Jeff Hanneman should get more attention for a start he wrote angel of death by himself and I think hes more talented than kerry. I also think James Hetfield ius more talented than Kirk Hammet since has that incredible downard picking style and his guitar solos sound better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: most underated guitarist/team   most underated guitarist/team - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

most underated guitarist/team
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2