Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Neon Cross-Backlash

Go down 
+7
325ad
thejokeriv
ultmetal
exact33
kmorg
Metallic Blaze
James B.
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Neon Cross-Backlash Empty
PostSubject: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 pm

This cd gets alot of of crap, but IMHO it just reflects the sign of the tmes when these dudes were just getting into music. I wish everyone could of seen these guys when both Mitch an Don were playing guitar, talk about "getting busy"

I used the search feature and got nothing, even double chcked my spelling. Gotta give a plug to my old friends and one of the "real" bands from the Sanctuary scene

"Backlash"

"Son Of God"

"You're The One"

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 am

I really dig both NC albums. In fact, I'm going to listen to the debut because of this thread. Thanks James!

I bet you have some seriously awesome stories from back then......
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 am

I remember first hearing Neon Cross on "The White Metal Show" from Kevin Corothers, way back when White Throne was still in print. They blew me away!

Then I heard their two songs on the first "California Metal" album - and they consolidated my love for this band.

I was one of the first people I'm sure, who ordered a copy of their "S/T" album when it first came out. I must've gotten one of the first 100 pressings. I played that tape over and over and over again - for years to come.

Too bad they never went farther than they did. They had a lot of potential, no doubt. David Raymond Reeves was a very unique and strong vocalist. The other musicians were quite competant as well.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 am

The first one is a classic for me. But the second album was a little... meh. I remember buying it, then pawning it in a shop downtown. Then a few years later I wanted to own it again, and I bought back the same copy I had pawned some years earlier! Laughing

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:18 am

kmorg wrote:
The first one is a classic for me. But the second album was a little... meh.

thats kinda how i feel. I like the first a lot but the second was such a change in style. Its ok but I prefer the first one..

Alex

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 am

I like Neon Cross. Have seen them live several times. Almost shared the stage with them to perform Son of God live, but their performance was cancelled at the last minute. I have their first album on CD and vinyl, both autographed. It's a shame they didn't put out more music over the years.

Favoritte songs, "Son of God" and "Buy My Record".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 9:13 am

exact33 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

thats kinda how i feel. I like the first a lot but the second was such a change in style. Its ok but I prefer the first one..

Alex

That is how I feel too. I have a recording of their demo also.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am

thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Alex

That is how I feel too. I have a recording of their demo also.

Right with you guys. "Son Of God" is hard to top!

A band I was in high school covered this during a high school talent show. Some of us had just seen Bloodgood at Cornerstone and were theatre and drama students so we tried to act out the Crucifixation scene. About the time the Roman Soldiers start to mock Christ the plug was pulled on our set and curtain was closed. The powers that be said we were blasphemous and too shocking, how little did they know they were getting scriptural truth. HAHAHA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 pm

I did like the first one a lot. And the three songs on the comp, can't remember what it was called, were good. Buy My Record.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:50 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like Neon Cross. Have seen them live several times. Almost shared the stage with them to perform Son of God live, but their performance was cancelled at the last minute. I have their first album on CD and vinyl, both autographed. It's a shame they didn't put out more music over the years.

Favoritte songs, "Son of God" and "Buy My Record".

Love 'Buy My Record'! The lyrics are so funny (although now a little dated)...

Alex

stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 pm

"Perfect for storing paper clips and rubber bands!"

I dig Neon Cross, both albums and the 3 tracks from that compilation(name escapes me right now). I just listened to their small but strong catalog just a few days ago for the first time in about 2 years. appropriate timing for this thread.

"It is the blood of Christ, He was your sacrifice: It was the blood of Christ, He is your sacrifice"
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 pm

stepcousin wrote:
"Perfect for storing paper clips and rubber bands!"

I dig Neon Cross, both albums and the 3 tracks from that compilation(name escapes me right now). I just listened to their small but strong catalog just a few days ago for the first time in about 2 years. appropriate timing for this thread.

"It is the blood of Christ, He was your sacrifice: It was the blood of Christ, He is your sacrifice"

I need to get out their stuff again. Its been a long time as for me as well..

Alex

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 8:35 am

At Xtreme Metal Mardi Gras in 02' down in Anahiem, David was one of the only singers from all the old bands who could still hit the higher register stuff. Not only easily but good. OTher singers tried and it was either funny or embaressing. The other kewl thing abouut that day was I saw Ultimatum for the firsst time Neon Cross-Backlash 11840

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I remember first hearing Neon Cross on "The White Metal Show" from Kevin Corothers, way back when White Throne was still in print. They blew me away!

Then I heard their two songs on the first "California Metal" album - and they consolidated my love for this band.

I was one of the first people I'm sure, who ordered a copy of their "S/T" album when it first came out. I must've gotten one of the first 100 pressings. I played that tape over and over and over again - for years to come.

Too bad they never went farther than they did. They had a lot of potential, no doubt. David Raymond Reeves was a very unique and strong vocalist. The other musicians were quite competant as well.

You mean the show I did (in my bedroom with a 4 channel mixer!!) lives on !!!

Coolness....!

What's really sad is that ALL the masters of that show are gone....

Loved the first NC disc (even with a drum machine) they were great in concert....

Neon Cross-Backlash 438278
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Coolness....!

Loved the first NC disc (even with a drum machine) they were great in concert....

Electric - I didn't know you published White Throne! That is AWESOME! I published a short lived zine with a friend called Cephas.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 2:10 pm

'Backlash' isn't too bad...I don't remember that song being on Torn, but it is.

I like their s/t debut WAY more than Torn...I just didn't like the blues/rock approach it has. I much prefer the metal of the s/t.

BTW...the purple cotton shorts with the jacket on the Backlash video...??? Yikes...
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Electric - I didn't know you published White Throne! That is AWESOME! I published a short lived zine with a friend called Cephas.

Dude, I thought Phil Powell did Cephas along with Screams of Abel. Do you know how to get ahold of Phil? Do you have an old issues? I'd love to buy them from you. LMK. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 3:11 pm

I saw them open for Tourniquet once and i wasn't impressed. I remember them doing a song called "Video Smut".
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:30 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Coolness....!

LOL, I was wondering if you would see that or not. yeah, I was one of the subscribers to your mag way back in the day. I would read it from cover to cover ... then from cover to cover again! LOL! I hated your review of "To Hell with the Devil" though, but I easily forgave you for that one because of everything else you helped introduce me to back in 1987/88. I was just a little kid back then, so you were one of my idols LOL! I was like 11 years old. Anyway - I remember you talking about stuff on those tapes. They were very very cool. Too bad you don't have any more copies. Mine are long gone as well (because I wore them out).

Then in 1989 I got into secular metal, so I wasn't into Christian metal quite as much. I remember when White Throne went out of business. It was a sad day for me.

Anyway - Kevin, I knew you posted here because I used to post here before (under the moniker BlackieBoy). Do you remember me? It's been a few years now.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:41 am

[quote="325ad"]
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Dude, I thought Phil Powell did Cephas along with Screams of Abel. Do you know how to get ahold of Phil? Do you have an old issues? I'd love to buy them from you. LMK. Thanks.

Yep, Phil would be the friend I started it with! I haven't seen him in years, since 99 or so. He kept Cephas going for a year or so after I stopped working on it - I had to, I was in my last two years of college and the work got to be too much. I can only find one old issue. I'd like to find Phil and see if he has any of the old issues also. I have a few that are mine - some I can't find. We had some awesome Barren Cross, Believer, Deliverance and Guardian interviews. We also had a great King's X interview.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 12:37 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Yep, Phil would be the friend I started it with! I haven't seen him in years, since 99 or so. He kept Cephas going for a year or so after I stopped working on it - I had to, I was in my last two years of college and the work got to be too much. I can only find one old issue. I'd like to find Phil and see if he has any of the old issues also. I have a few that are mine - some I can't find. We had some awesome Barren Cross, Believer, Deliverance and Guardian interviews. We also had a great King's X interview.

I remember being subscribed to SOAE listserv! Oh how the year go by!!

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:03 pm

[quote="exact33"]
thejokeriv wrote:
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

I remember being subscribed to SOAE listserv! Oh how the year go by!!

Hey, do you know where to find Phil Powell?
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:11 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

That is Awesome I have Issue 3, I'd love to have Issue four that was the one with King's X. I have heard that Phil is overseas France maybe. I'd love to visit with him as well if you find him. He had some stuff that no else seems to have or remember like External Decease and Palvonta. It would be great to visit with him as well. My friend on here a few other message boards Steve Garvey Fan visited with Phil 3 or 4 months ago but he forgot to get an email addy! Oh well.

Later Man.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 pm

[quote="325ad"]
thejokeriv wrote:
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

That is Awesome I have Issue 3, I'd love to have Issue four that was the one with King's X. I have heard that Phil is overseas France maybe. I'd love to visit with him as well if you find him. He had some stuff that no else seems to have or remember like External Decease and Palvonta. It would be great to visit with him as well. My friend on here a few other message boards Steve Garvey Fan visited with Phil 3 or 4 months ago but he forgot to get an email addy! Oh well.

Later Man.

Can you scan issue 3 for me? I will find what I have and scan and email to you!
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
325ad wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Later Man.

Can you scan issue 3 for me? I will find what I have and scan and email to you!

Yeah, I sent you a email just email back so I'll have your email.

Sorry, I sort of hijacked this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neon Cross-Backlash   Neon Cross-Backlash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neon Cross-Backlash
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next