Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

asia worth listening to?

Go down 
+3
thejokeriv
ultmetal
fingers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

asia worth listening to? Empty
PostSubject: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:39 am

Heard of this band from music encyclopedias I have read, Just wandering what they are like and what their best albums are.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:43 am

They are not 'heavy' in the slightest. They are a progressive rock band from the 80's. Their first three albums are very pop oriented. After that they started getting more progressive. They have an extensive catalog, so it really depends on the album. They've generally had two vocalists. John Wetton formerly of King Crimson is generally held as the fan favorite. However, I much prefer the material with vocalist John Payne.

They have had some of the best guitarists in their band including Steve Howe (Yes), Al Pitrelli (Widowmaker, Megadeth) and Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy/21 Guns).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:12 am

Check out the self titled debut to start with and move through the catalogue. I am not familar with their later works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 am

Excellent band...excellent musicians...well worth checking out...start at the beginning...
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 10:09 am

If you're in the mood for some good old AOR style 80's music it's hard to go wrong with the debut album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:06 am

Good band to check out in the heat of the moment. asia worth listening to? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 am

They also have cool cover art.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:09 am

I had the first Asia album on cassette back in the day (when it was current; I was about 12 or 13 at the time) but haven't heard it in years. I liked it well enough back then I guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:00 pm

The first one is great but then they stalled until Aqua and with John Payne behind the mike were much less poppy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm probably the only one on the board that loves Astra. I think it's a great 80's pop album. The worst part about it, IMO, is the cover art.

asia worth listening to? 14450
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 pm

This is a band I've been wanting to check out for a while now myself. I heard one of their songs on sattelite radio and it really impressed me. It seemed more AOR than prog to me, but I liked it!

I might check out a greatest hits album or something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: asia worth listening to?   asia worth listening to? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

asia worth listening to?
Page 1 of 1