Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AEROSMITH - discography (& related)

Go down 
+20
Shawn Of Fire
Addy
jerseyultifan+
ghost
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
metalken
XYZ
QuothTheRaven
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
James B.
Schbopo
stepcousin
DeathCult
akeldama
Fat Freddy
manny
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Empty
PostSubject: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 am

AEROSMITH - discography (& related) 6d769833e7a099aec6ec2110.L

AEROSMITH - discography (& related) 706fe03ae7a02002d7822210.L
Aerosmith (Columbia) 1973

1. "Make It" (3:38)
2. "Somebody" (3:45)
3. "Dream On" (4:27)
4. "One Way Street" (7:00)
5. "Mama Kin" (4:27)
6. "Write Me" (4:10)
7. "Movin' Out" (5:02)
8. "Walkin' the Dog" (3:12)

Aerosmith's first album is not as aggressive, heavy, or as well produced as the rest of their albums, but it is still a classic album. It is not unlike the first Led Zeppelin album, that is also very different from the rest of their catalogue. Very bluesy; Aerosmith attempting to sound like their English heroes. This is Aerosmith at their most raw, weaing their influences on their sleeve and incorporating bits of the Yardbirds, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and even some funk, al la James Brown.

The original release on vinyl contained the orange sunset picture with the small band photo in the center. Many misunderstood it and thought it was some ethereal prog band. Of course, this wasn't the case at all. Soon after the record company changed the cover and re-released it with the same band photo enlarged to fill the entire 12 x 12 cover and an altered band logo and the words "featuring Dream On". The very first pressings also contained a mistake. The song Walking the DOG was listed as Walking the DIG. These are quite rare and are collectors items among Aerosmith fanatics like myself. When Sony re-issued this album to CD, they restored the original artwork.

Last edited by ultmetal on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39184

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 am

Not a big Aerosmith fan but it will be interesting to see what everyone has to say about their albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 12:48 pm

I personally love this album, with its raw bare bones production showcases their early compostions. Alot of critics cried fowl and claimed that Aerosmith were ripping off the Rolling Stones, proves that critics listen more with their eyes then their ears, yes The Stones were influence but clearly Aerosmith wanted to be America's answer to the Yardbirds.

Songs like 'One Way Street' and 'Mama Kin' had more swagger than a drunken hooker and on album #1 Aerosmith invented the power ballad with 'Dream On'. An excellent album and one I highly recommend.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 12:56 pm

It's got "Dream On" on it. What else do you need to know? Bow down before the first Aerosmith album!! Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 pm

It's a great album! Not a bad song at all on the whole album. I need this on vinyl. Faves are Make It, Somebody & Dream On.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 pm

One of the few Aerosmith albums I like some songs from, not too bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Great album, not my favorite but if someone told me this was their best album ever and would never equal it, I dont think I could argue with that as they would lean much more heavy metal on their next 3 albums until Draw The Line. If fans of late 60's/early 70's blues rock owned only this album by Aerosmith, I could understand that. Like I said in the Rush thread, this album was my least known Aerosmith album cuz nobody I knew had it back in the day. I only knew the "hits" and live songs and didnt own it until about '83 or '84. I love the bluesy vibe and Steven Tyler was just starting do develop his swagger and presence. Kind of a forgotten album by them, as the rest of the 70's catalog would drawf this album many times over as far as sales and concert set lists.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:12 pm

You won't hear much from me here. I've got all the Aerosmith I really need; "Greatest Hits" for their early stuff and "Big Ones" for the later stuff.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm

All I have to say about this lp is that on one week end in 1986, my ears heard every song on this lp done by some band at a club on The Strip in Holylwood. Really.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Schbopo wrote:
You won't hear much from me here. I've got all the Aerosmith I really need; "Greatest Hits" for their early stuff and "Big Ones" for the later stuff.

Then you don't have hardly any of their good stuff. Hits packages suck! Aerosmith - Rocks is one of the greatest metal albums to come out of the 70's IMO.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:30 am

AEROSMITH - discography (& related) 51vZ-Hly43L._SS500_
Aerosmith - Get Your Wings (Columbia) 1974

1."Same Old Song and Dance" (3:53)
2."Lord of the Thighs" (4:14)
3."Spaced" (4:21)
4."Woman of the World" (5:49)
5."S.O.S. (Too Bad)" (2:51)
6."Train Kept a Rollin'" (5:33)
7."Seasons of Wither" (5:38)
8."Pandora's Box" (5:43)

After the commercial failure of Aerosmith's self-titled album, they were almost dropped from their record label. Good thing that did not happen. Constant touring and practicing made Aerosmith's songwriting and chops so tight that their next album "Get Your Wings" was like night and day compared with their first album. Steven Tyler's howl had been almost perfected and the songwriting became so much more aggressive. The addition of Jack Douglas as producer was also a big turnaround for Boston's bad boys. (Jack Douglas had become the unofficial sixth member of Aerosmith.) A year after it's release, "Get Your Wings" went gold, which was a great accomplishment in 1974. Either way, this release was way ahead of it's time.

"Train Kept A Rollin," a song originally written and record by Tiny Brashaw in the 40's, and a song that the Yardbirds had been covering for years, became an Aerosmith concert favorite that is still played three decades later. Despite the fact that The Yardbirds had a hit with this song, and England's Motorhead also began coving it in the late 70's, neither band did it quite like Aerosmith. Aerosith made the song their own. "Train Kept A Rollin" was released as the second single from the album. The lead guitar work, however, is not by Aerosmith guitarists Joe Perry or Brad Whitford. Instead, producer Jack Douglas brought in Dick Wagner to record the guitar leads. Wagner had recorded with such well known artists as Alice Cooper and Lou Reed. This was not an uncommon occurrence in the recording industry.

Two of the albums best songs, "Woman of the World" and "Seasons of Wither" are also some of the more melancholy tracks. "Same Old Song & Dance," a cool blues based heavy metal song, also became a minor hit for the band. This is another of those songs that continued to be played by the band live into the next decades, as is "Lord of the Thighs." "S.O.S (Too Bad)", which stands for "Same Old Shit", is pure American rock and roll. This is an essential album in the history of Aerosmith. Many Aerosmith fans would even argue that this is the band's best release. It was actually the next album, "Toys in the Attic," that made me a fan in 1975 (I was 7), but it wasn't long afterwards that I discovered this gem of a record.

The CD insert of the re-mastered version has all sorts of photos and information that was not in the original CD release. The sound quality is much improved over the original CD issue as well. The mix was left alone, while the overall levels were brought up substantially.

Despite the success of this album, Get You Wings did not rocket Aerosmith to superstardom. Rather, it would be their next album that would make them the stars of the hockey barns worldwide.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:34 am

GET YOUR WINGS is one of my fave 70s Smiths (the other being ROCKS). Obviously "Train Kept A'Rollin" and "Same Old Song and Dance" are the tracks that are most popular on this record, but I like the "deep cuts" that never seem to get much love (except from other Aerofans) even better, like "Spaced," "Lord of the Thighs" and especially "Seasons of Wither." (I've seen them do "Seasons..." live and it's awesome!)

When I started upgrading my Aerosmith stuff to CD in the early 90s (a project which I really need to finish one of these damn days) this was one of the first discs I picked up, and it still gets a lotta play from me even now. Love this album!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:49 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
GET YOUR WINGS is one of my fave 70s Smiths..."Train Kept A'Rollin" and "Same Old Song and Dance" are the tracks that are most popular on this record, but I like the "deep cuts" that never seem to get much love (except from other Aerofans) even better, like "Spaced," "Lord of the Thighs" and especially "Seasons of Wither."

I agree. Some great songs on here that are ignored because they aren't "radio hits". However, I do think that Train Kept A Rollin' is KILLER as well. Even it is not on the Greatest Hits CD, which I always found odd.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:57 am

I love this album, and like FF, the deep cuts are some of the best songs on this album. 'Seasons of Wither' one of the greatest ballads recorded by any band,period.

'Pandora's Box' that has sleazy like Stones groove, that Aerosmith perfected. 'Lord of the Thighs' another one of my favorite Aerosmith tunes, and 'S.O.S.' another great cut.

'Train Kept a Rollin' is a song I associate with Aerosmith so much, when other bands cover it, I usually think of it as an Aerosmith cover tune. Also very cool that Aerosmith boys tip a hat to the Yardbirds with their version of this song.

Another excellent album from this American institution.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Good songs on this one.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 am

AMAZING ! no words. just perfect. both 2 albums.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:44 am

me like...alot

not a weak track on the entire lp

used to always associate the logo on this lp with the Adams Family and am actually glad they changed it up somewhat next time around

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Get Your Wings is one of their best period (along with their next two), I got into this album at 8 years old, I think this and Rocks were the first Aerosmith cassettes I ever owned. Fave Songs are Lord Of The Thighs, S.O.S. (Too Bad) & Seasons Of Wither
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
GET YOUR WINGS is one of my fave 70s Smiths..."Train Kept A'Rollin" and "Same Old Song and Dance" are the tracks that are most popular on this record, but I like the "deep cuts" that never seem to get much love (except from other Aerofans) even better, like "Spaced," "Lord of the Thighs" and especially "Seasons of Wither."

I agree. Some great songs on here that are ignored because they aren't "radio hits". However, I do think that Train Kept A Rollin' is KILLER as well. Even it is not on the Greatest Hits CD, which I always found odd.

I was gonna quote Freddy's post exactly the words you did as he basically took the words right out of my mouth, but you beat me to it.
For nastolgia purposes this is my favorite Aerosmith album. It just plain strikes a nerve somewhere in me that just does it for me; early-to-mid 70's blues rock/early heavy metal and this album personifies that.
I do think that "Rocks" is the best album they ever made with "Toys" a close second but that is for later.

Aerosmith's version of "Train Kept A Rollin" has got to be in the top 20 or so greatest rock and roll songs ever. If you claim to like electric guitar, you cant not love this song. At least 30% of this song is guitar leads, maybe more.

Ult, you are right about the Greatest Hits cd, I hate that album as it's so edited and dissected, it just aint right. It's hard to listen to IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 9:09 am

AEROSMITH - discography (& related) 512RNS6T2oL._SS500_
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (Columbia) 1975

1."Toys in the Attic" (3:06)
2."Uncle Salty" (4:10)
3."Adam's Apple" (4:34)
4."Walk this Way" (3:40)
5."Big Ten Inch Record" (2:14)
6."Sweet Emotion" (4:34)
7."No More, No More" (4:34)
8."Round and Round" (5:05)
9."You See Me Crying" (5:12)

The make it or break it album for Aerosmith. As I'm sure anyone knows, they made it. "Toys in the Attic" is pure rock and roll brilliance, once again thanks in part to the producing skills of Jack Douglas, who certainly was the invisible, sixth member of Aerosmith. "Toys in the Attic" is one of the greatest rock and roll records of all time and contains some of the most-played songs in the history of rock radio. "Toys in the Attic," "Walk This Way," "Big Ten Inch," and "Sweet Emotion" are radio staples and concert favorites even to this day. "Toys" is one of the first ever speed metal tunes. "Uncle Salty" is an uncharacteristically serious blues based tune. Brad Whitford's "Round & Round" rivals Black Sabbath and Judas Priest in the heaviness department, and is most certainly one of the band's darker songs. The entire record is just phenomenal. This was one of the first records that I had ever bought and is one of the reasons I became obsessed with heavy rock & roll. Actually my parents bought it for me, so I guess in a way it's their fault.

RIAA Certified: 8x Platinum (4/6/2002)

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:02 am

Another good Aero album - I am not a huge fan as many, but they did put out some good stuff.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:25 pm

A brillant album by Aerosmith, not a bum track on the album. 'Toys in the Attic' is an instant classic, loved the fast opening riff and killer first lines that Steven Tyler spits out.

'No More No More' is another classic tune with one of the best lines about living the rock n roll lifestyle:

"Blood stains the Ivory's on daddy's baby grand/Aint seen daylight since I started this band"

'Uncle Salty' and 'Adam's Apple' criminally ignored deep cuts, and the ballad 'You See Me Crying' is brillant. The band sounds tighter than a fish's a$$hole and they laydown their claim to American rock royality.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Songs like 'You See Me Crying' would resurface on later albums and would give the band hit after hit, especially on Permanent Vacation and Get A Grip. Funny thing is, people cried "foul" and claimed the band was "selling out". Thing is, the band had done these types of ballads since the beginning.

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Quote :
Funny thing is, people cried "foul" and claimed the band was "selling out". Thing is, the band had done these types of ballads since the beginning.

That IS odd because "Dream On" is a ballad as well......
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:07 pm

TOYS IN THE ATTIC was my third Smith album (the first was GREATEST HITS and if I remember correctly, the second was ROCK IN A HARD PLACE ... but I'm getting ahead of myself)... and it blew me away!! Aerosmith were just beginning their '80s "comeback" by that time (circa 1986) and now that I think about it, it was probably one of the first times I bought a so-called "old" album. At that time I had mainly been concerned with the new releases by new bands that were hot, I had not done much in the way of exploring back catalogs by "veteran" bands. I was already familiar with "Sweet Emotion" from the GREATEST HITS album (and its regular appearances on FM radio when I was growing up) but most, if not all, of the rest was new to me at the time. Every song on TOYS smokes! During this period of their career (debut album through, say, DRAW THE LINE) they were unstoppable. Everything they released was pure gold.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AEROSMITH - discography (& related)   AEROSMITH - discography (& related) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AEROSMITH - discography (& related)
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next