Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do bands depend on Myspace too much?

Go down 
+20
ohwellmonkey
325ad
sam
Ben Grimm
Wargod
scottmitchell74
jstate
ultmetal
sheets
Fat Freddy
Hamer12
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Metallic Blaze
Lurideath
kmorg
T-Roy
manny
tohostudios
Glenn Rogers
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm with Sheets. Hearing the music is cool. But I find the rest of it impossible to deal with. This is especially true if I'm looking to purchase something. I don't even bother with bands I'm familiar with on myspace since I can never seem to find what I'm looking for. At least with a web site there is always that convenient merch button.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Quote :
As far as I'm concerned Myspace's sole virtue is allowing me to sample a band's music. For any other purpose I find it an incomprehensible nightmare, but for bands and for me as a fan looking for more bands to get into, yeah, I think it's a great idea.

Exactly how I feel. I can't navigate the rest of myspace, so I don't even try.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 7:13 pm

I think it's great for bands getting their music out there. I have almost 4000 bands on my myspace site and I'd say about 85% of them have their own website.

So no it doesn't hurt them at all. To some it might harder to set up their own website harder to do where as myspace is easy to setup!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 7:26 pm

I do think having a MySpace is good for exposer, especially with a younger audience...
However I personally think from running the street team for Feast Eternal, 6000 friends does not = album sales, certainly not 6000. And in some ways MySpace simplyifed everything, including making it possible for you to approve a band and never check them out, and it is so easy that your band is one of thousands of bands trying to get attention sending spam requests to get some one to listen. I have come to wonder does anybody listen?
I think bands need to diversify and have a Facebook, have a PureVolume account and keep it updated. And use sites like ReverbNation. I do think an actual band web page is a good thing, but I think what happens is these bands that are struggling and not making much money are weighing paying for a site, or just using a mySpace because it is free.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MySpace, IMO, is better than an actual website for an indie band.

- it's free
- you can host songs on it for free
- you can doctor it up and make it look cool for free
- you have millions of potential listeners at your fingertips

Having a stand-alone website means you have to go through telling people about it or they don't know it's there at all. MySpace is like built-in traffic once you add a few people...it's been my band LINE OF FIRE's best friend.

Gotta go with shawn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 12:21 am

I think Shawn, Wayne, and Kmorg. All have good points. Some places I written for always want to know if A band has a myspace or a band website.

I feel like a band should have both! Myspace for sound samples but a true website real info, I know running a website is a hassle between servers and host etc. But this is where we are now. To be real player, and by this I mean a viable band with a chance to go somewhere and do something ( make any money ) you need both.

Any how that is my 2 cents from Media Stand Point!
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am

But with so many bands, on myspace and then beening friends with other bands. people seem to research other
bands. that they see are friends with your band or the band they started looking at. Which I think takes away the
attention some bands need.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 am

ultmetal wrote:
The www site is a lot of work and is in dire need of an updated look.

But then I'll lose that nostalgic feeling of browsing your distro page w/ the green nav buttons & lightning logo like I did 8 years ago.... Very Happy

I do still like the look of the site, even if it's a bit of HTML old-skool. It still looks nice for what it is. But a fresh look would probably make the site look a bit less "HTML by hand" and perhaps more modern.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 12:33 pm

ok my take....i think myspace is a wonderful way for bands to get the music heard and gig annoucements and merch orders! besides if i hadnt reached out to scott of ultimatum on another forum..i wouldnt have plugged the new cd..if hadnt plugged the cd..wouldnt have been in touch with robert..then i wouldnt have been blessed with the most wonderful job i could have ever been blessed with...promotional manager to Ultimatum..so..i depend on myspace for everything/anything to do with my representation/promotional work for this band! keeps me constantly busy and i am loving every minute of it! Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_cheers Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 572798 Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Yahoo
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 2:42 pm

jerseyultifan+ wrote:
ok my take....i think myspace is a wonderful way for bands to get the music heard and gig annoucements and merch orders! besides if i hadnt reached out to scott of ultimatum on another forum..i wouldnt have plugged the new cd..if hadnt plugged the cd..wouldnt have been in touch with robert..then i wouldnt have been blessed with the most wonderful job i could have ever been blessed with...promotional manager to Ultimatum..so..i depend on myspace for everything/anything to do with my representation/promotional work for this band! keeps me constantly busy and i am loving every minute of it! Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_cheers Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 572798 Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Yahoo

But as a promo manager would'nt you require a regular site for industry rep's to get band info/high rez pics,stage plot, travle rider, ect... First impression from an industry point of view is Highly Important. First thing they ask is are they just another Myspace band? I only bring this up because I'm tring to help some bands get to the next level.

Don't get me wrong, Myspace is important,but you should not put your eggs into one basket...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 pm

I found this kind of funny. A few months back I read on Death Angel's WIKI site that Andy Galeon had left, so the first thing I did was check their official website to see if this was indeed true. There was nothing on their website, but sure enough when I clicked on the link to Death Angel's Myspace, there was the info about Andy Galeon's departure.

Another instance of a band not really being good regarding updating band changes was Dokken. I happened to get on the website last month to see if they were touring within a reasonable distance of me. They had a show in Cincinnati last Saturday (which I went to). Much to my surprise was that Barry Sparks was not on bass that night. I thought I had maybe missed something on the site, but I didn't. There was absolutely no announcement regarding what is I guess a temporary change. Supposedly Barry Sparks wife is Italian, and she isn't able to get a visa, so Barry is hanging in Europe for the immediate future. I found this out also through Wikipedia. I think it's embarrassing when a WIKI site is more up to date than the official website.
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 pm

agreed..i have a personal site also..but,on my new site is strickly for the promotional end and i work very closely with the band..my eggs are really more spread out..i use this forum and two other ones as well to get the word out..but,your thoughts are very much appreciated and will consider them also..thanks for the heads up! i can appreciate the poster above me as well..i hope that when the promo/indust rep/fan or whoever checks myspace they find up to the minute info regarding the band,tour,cds,merch etc! i am a very proactive promomang.i say this not to brag but,being on med disabiliity affords me much time to devote to the band and myspace!! and i love what i am doing! Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 877540
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 6:58 pm

I agree, forums seem to be a more personal way to go to get a more independent band out there. I have looked into more bands lately based on forum recommendations and from contact with members of bands on forums then anyting I have stumbled across on MySpace.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 am

I agree with many of the points made on this thread.....

For my two cents...

Bands need both.... Frankly if you look at the age of everyone who's posted in this thread is at LEAST 25 years old.... probably older than that... My two boys 17 and 16 are ALWAYS looking on MySpace for band info.... MySpace isn't exactly my cup of tea, but to Hear Music it's cool...

Point is that I would PREFER a real website and everyband should have one. MySpace serves a purpose, I've been trying to customize one for the White Throne blog but it's a pain in the but...

Oh well. I've babbled enough

Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 380235
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do bands depend on Myspace too much?   Do bands depend on Myspace too much? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do bands depend on Myspace too much?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2