Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sirenia

Go down 
+3
DallasBlack
Wargod
MoonChild
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Anybody here like this female fronted gothic metal band?

They are basically an offshoot from Tristania, but personally I feel they have outdone them. I also love Tristania by the way.

Let's discuss this band!

I feel that their newest album, "Nine Destinies and a Downfall" is fantastic. It's actually my album of the year so far.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Count me in as a Sirenia fan. I haven't heard much of their materials, but with whatever I have heard - I like 'em.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah good stuff I like most anything that is female fronted!

Wargod48

NP: Black Betty - S/T, stonerish dOOm.
Back to top Go down

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 pm

I only have their newest one, but I've heard their older material and like it quite well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:43 am

When I heard Elixir For Existence it was the closest thing to Theatre Of Tragedy's older material than any other goth metal band I've listened to. So that one is one I listen to very often. The new one is good but different enough from Elixir that it may take some more listens to like it as much.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Present!

Great band. Morten Veland showed that he was truly the mastermind behind Tristania when he left and started Sirenia. I still like what Tristania has done since, but there's no doubt it's very different. The latest Sirenia is excellent, though I can't help but feel the album is a way-too-obvious attempt at mainstream success. It's very poppy, and it's not nearly as heavy as the previous Sirenia albums. There's only like two songs that contain any sort of death metal vocals. Great album, but the drastic switch in style kind of bugs me.
Back to top Go down

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Present!

Great band. Morten Veland showed that he was truly the mastermind behind Tristania when he left and started Sirenia. I still like what Tristania has done since, but there's no doubt it's very different. The latest Sirenia is excellent, though I can't help but feel the album is a way-too-obvious attempt at mainstream success. It's very poppy, and it's not nearly as heavy as the previous Sirenia albums. There's only like two songs that contain any sort of death metal vocals. Great album, but the drastic switch in style kind of bugs me.

I agree on all counts!

Morten Veland is a mastermind guitarist and he knows how to really have a solid sound. The best of this genre IMO. I agree that when he left Tristania there was a hole left in his void. Sirenia picked right up where Tristania left off - in a good way.

About "Nine Destinies and a Downfall" being more 'poppy' and 'commercial' - I agree here too. I do think it's quite the most pop oriented they've ever been - and perhaps they are striving for some radio airplay. They are getting some too in Europe - so perhaps it's paying off.

Normally when a band I love does something like this - I don't like it. However, it seems to work very well in Sirenia's favor here. Personally I feel the lack of death metal vocals gives the album a fresher sound than ever before. I also feel the harmonies and the pop elements sound very great in this atmosphere. It just works!

One thing that I really notice whenever I crank this album (and I've cranked it a LOT since buying it months ago), is the sheer heaviness of the guitars. I really like that. It does a lot for the album to keep it in a true and solid 'metal' state.
Back to top Go down

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 am

Have you ever heard Battelore? If not, you may want to check them out.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 12:19 pm

I know the question was not directed at me but I do know Battleore and am quite impressed. When I saw an advertisement for the new album in Metal Edge it was called symphonic power metal but I wouldn't quite call it power in as much as I'd call it gotic metal. What makes it even more good for me is that all the lyrics have to do with Tolkien's Middle Earth so there is nothing to make me dislike it (i'm turned off by lyrics that attack my faith and beliefs).
Back to top Go down

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Yes! I've heard Battlelore. I was impressed with the few songs I've heard. Never have picked up anything by them though.

What albums would you recommend starting with?
Back to top Go down

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 4:26 pm

I would say that Sword's Song is the best to try out first. The previous album is a bit more raw, while the following two have a different male singer, whose vocals are a bit more caustic. If you like Sword's Song, you should have no problems getting into the rest of their albums.

And yes, they take the Lord of the Rings stuff far more seriously than other bands that have used those stories as lyrical material. Battlelore make it seem far more believable, thus respectable. It doesn't feel like just an album theme with Battlelore. Have you seen their videos? This is no theme; it's an integral part of the band, as important as the music itself. Very cool, and not cheesy at all.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Another band from Norway that I love is Sirenia!

Any fans?

I love how they mix elements of extreme metal (black and death) with power metal and gothic metal.

They are one of my all time favorite bands! I have almost everything by them. but I am missing one album I think.

Sirenia 1393_photo

Here's a link if you want to check them out!

http://www.myspace.com/sirenia
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Any fans?

I love how they mix elements of extreme metal (black and death) with power metal and gothic metal.

They are one of my all time favorite bands! I have almost everything by them. but I am missing one album I think.

Sirenia 1393_photo

[url=http://www.myspace.com/sirenia
http://www.myspace.com/sirenia[/quote[/url]]

This crazy man we have about the same taste in music! Though I thought they were better when they had Henriette with my favorite album being the Elixir one.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Cool 325!

"An Elixir for Existence" is the only album I'm missing!

My favorite is "Nine Destinies and a Downfall", but their latest one is killer as well! Their new singer is pretty swell IMHO.

I'd rank what I have like so:

1. Nine Destinies and a Downfall 10/10
2. The 13th Floor 9.5/10
3. Sirenian Shores 9/10
4. At Sixes and Sevens 9/10

They certainly don't have a bad album!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:44 pm

[quote="325ad"]
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Any fans?

Sirenia 1393_photo

http://www.myspace.com/sirenia[/quote]

This crazy man we have about the same taste in music! Though I thought they were better when they had Henriette with my favorite album being the Elixir one.

I prefer that one too. Closest thing to old school Theatre Of Tragedy I've been able to find. However, I do like the new one (mainly because the death vocals are back-a reason why many don't like it).
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 1:43 pm

yeah, the new one is great! It's in my top 5 for the year so far!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:19 pm

I think Sirenia was outdoing Tristania, especially with the first two albums. But they pretty much became Tristania on Nine Destinies. I still love both bands, even if they've each mostly abandoned their doom-death roots, but I thought Morten left Tristania and formed Sirenia because he didn't like the direction they were going.

Ironic, that.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:42 am

Love-hate relationship here..

Some stuff on 'Nine Destinies' is some of their best IMO, and then other stuff on it is sickeningly commercial Lacuna Coil girlgoth junk. The chugging start-stop riff stuff all over the place, ugh. However, then there's also a song like 'Seven Keys and Nine Doors', with everything that was once good about the band in check, and Veland's vocals sound great on it, and - hey - a nice guitar lead. Too bad there's not more of those. There never were, but that lack of that type of dynamic brought their material down some I felt. I think the debut is their most solid, but again, there's little in the way of bridge parts or soloing that takes the songs somewhere else, so it can end up sounding too repetitive. The latest one, everything I heard from it sounded like a mix of a lot of what I hate about modern 'melodic' metal, so...that's a big no as of present..

In conclusion, I also love the Leonard Cohen cover.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sirenia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sirenia   Sirenia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sirenia
Page 1 of 1