Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
rattpoison
QuothTheRaven
Metallic Blaze
DeathCult
tohostudios
manny
James B.
Schbopo
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 am

Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Lmao
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Best?

Worst?

The Rolling Stones
12 X 5
Rolling Stones No. 2
The Rolling Stones Now!
Out of Our Heads
December's Children (And Everybody's)
Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Jamming with Edward
Exile on Main Street
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock and Roll
Black and Blue
Love You Live
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges to Babylon

laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Best?

Worst?

The Rolling Stones
12 X 5
Rolling Stones No. 2
The Rolling Stones Now!
Out of Our Heads
December's Children (And Everybody's)
Aftermath
Between the Buttons
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Jamming with Edward
Exile on Main Street
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock and Roll
Black and Blue
Love You Live
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges to Babylon

Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Angry Smart ass!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Sorry, I've tried to like them, I understand their influence, but I always thought the copycat bands were sooooooo much better at it. Give me Aerosmith or Black Crowes any day, but I'll pass on the Stones.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Sorry, I've tried to like them, I understand their influence, but I always thought the copycat bands were sooooooo much better at it. Give me Aerosmith or Black Crowes any day, but I'll pass on the Stones.

It is all good, we can't all like the same bands, that would be make life very boring if we did.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I've slowly built a small but respectable Stones collection, and I've noticed that some of their albums are fantastic, and others....totally blow. I'll try to group them into 3 different categories.

Awesome--------------- Decent Enough---------------Crap
Beggar's Banquet------------ Some Girls --------------Black and Blue
Exile on Main Street------ It's Only Rock N' Roll --------Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers----------------Let It Bleed

I'm curious as to others opinions of the Stones' albums, especially of those who own more of them than I do.

Yes, I am a Stones fan, but do find some of their output uneven. In their defense, however, I don't think you can be around for over 45 years and not put out some crap with your cream. As far as their best, my favorite is their late 60's early 90's period. This is when they put out:

Beggar's Banquet
Let it Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Their low point is definitely the late 80's, with their worst material on "Dirty Work".

Their Mid 60's work is pretty good as well, and although many people would say they "Sucked in the Seventies", I think they still put out some good material. I even like Tattoo You, and consider that the very last of their really classic albums. The 90's stuff was somewhat tolerable, but nowhere near the strength of the earlier material.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Well, different strokes for different folks, I suppose. As for me, those two bands pale in comparison. Don't get me wrong, Aerosmith is a great band (well, at least up to "Pump"... after that they took a steep plunge in my book) and I like the Crowes first two albums...some of my favorite stuff from the 90's is in the Southern Musical Companion. But better than the Stones? not in their Beggars-to-Exile heydaY.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 pm

I'm a casual Stones fan, love it when I'm in the mood, but the only album I still own is Let It Bleed.

One of the first records I ever heard as a kid was Beggars Banquet (mono version) and that made quite an impression. Later on I picked up the Hot Rocks LP collection (love it!), but that's all I owned for years. Eventually I picked up a few others (Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Goats Head Soup, Exile, etc)

There are actually many Stones songs that I like, but few full albums. Exile is totally brilliant...but it's the type of record I'll be in the mood to hear about once every 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 pm

detuned wrote:

There are actually many Stones songs that I like, but few full albums. Exile is totally brilliant...but it's the type of record I'll be in the mood to hear about once every 3 years.

Exile is a fantastic album, but so far I think my favorite Stones record is "Sticky Fingers". The whole Mick Taylor period is just pure genius.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Schbopo wrote:
detuned wrote:

Exile is a fantastic album, but so far I think my favorite Stones record is "Sticky Fingers". The whole Mick Taylor period is just pure genius.

Yeah, I thought I had mentioned that Sticky Fingers was one of my favorites as well. Dead Flowers!
Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Grim
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 am

Schbopo wrote:
detuned wrote:

You ever heard of the Flamin' Groovies? Around '71 their musical vision was as close to the Stones as anyone. They produced a record called Teenage Head that Jagger noted as saying did a better job then Sticky Fingers at capturing classic blues and rock n' roll in a modern context!

Maybe Jagger was being modest but for my money Teenage Head is the better record! It's like a punkier American equivalent of Sticky Fingers!

Slow song.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-B-fE116b8

Fast song........

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 am

Flamin' Groovies are a very cool band and I had not thought of them in years til RP posted the video, great stuff and need to add them to my collection.

I have to agree with schoopy, the Mick Taylor era is also my favorite Stones era, just a series of classic albums, 'Sticky Finger' 'Exile On Main Street' and 'Goats Head Soup' are all excellent IMO.

I am an album person, I think some of the Stones best work stands outside of their hit singles and best known songs.

BTW Rattpoison, I also love 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' and I would list it, not only as one of my favorite Stones album but one of my favorite albums period. I am afraid I am minority in this opinion since most fans feel this is a horrid album, and the Stones attempt at their own version of 'Sgt. Peppers'.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 7:44 am

Little side note on the Groovies, legendary Memphis piano man/producer Jim Dickinson who played piano on Wild Horses also played on the Groovies Teenage Head record. Jim sadly passed away a couple of months ago.

Yeah Satanic Majesties gets thrashed mercilessly at times. Any RS fan who trashes it is probably a shut in "Big 4" cretin, i like to think of SMR as the start of the "Filthy Five"!

The vibe/atmosphere of that album is so unique, it's kind of a bit cultish and dark behind all the vibrant colours. Or as Shiney would say "Like a spider hiding in the bottom of a bowl of gumdrops"!

You should check out the Chocolate Watchband's Inner Mystique (1968) which mines the same ground as SMR or the Brian Jonestown Massacre's bonkers brilliant Their Satanic Majesties Second Request (1996).

God bless the "Stones Stumblers", the bands that so mercilessly ape the Stones to brilliant effect!
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:01 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Little side note on the Groovies, legendary Memphis piano man/producer Jim Dickinson who played piano on Wild Horses also played on the Groovies Teenage Head record. Jim sadly passed away a couple of months ago.

Yeah Satanic Majesties gets thrashed mercilessly at times. Any RS fan who trashes it is probably a shut in "Big 4" cretin, i like to think of SMR as the start of the "Filthy Five"!

The vibe/atmosphere of that album is so unique, it's kind of a bit cultish and dark behind all the vibrant colours. Or as Shiney would say "Like a spider hiding in the bottom of a bowl of gumdrops"!

You should check out the Chocolate Watchband's Inner Mystique (1968) which mines the same ground as SMR or the Brian Jonestown Massacre's bonkers brilliant Their Satanic Majesties Second Request (1996).

God bless the "Stones Stumblers", the bands that so mercilessly ape the Stones to brilliant effect!

Let me just complement you, because at 22 you have admirable musical knowledge.

I would not list Satanic Majestic as my favorite RS album...but it does have one of my favorite RS songs. I think "She's a Raimbow" is simply brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Always thought the stones were the most overated band in history, just dont care for any of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones   Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst of the Rolling Stones
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2