Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Books on Christian (hard) rock

Go down 
+3
Troublezone
DallasBlack
Dave the Boss
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Books on Christian (hard) rock Empty
PostSubject: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 12:04 pm

I need to write a 1200 word essay for university in a couple of months, and I've been planning to do it on the development of Christian hard rock music and the place it has in the US. Would anyone know any books regarding this topic? That way I can read up well in advance, and choose another subject if there aren't many sources. Thanks in advance!

Didn't know where I should post it, so I just did it. If this is the wrong place... my bad. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 pm

The Rock & Roll Rebellion: Why People Of Faith Abandoned Rock Music-And Why They're Coming Back by Mark Joseph

Not only a good history on Christian Rock but a great read as well. Includes profiles of artitsts and interveiws (including testimonies) featuring Kerry Livgren of Kansas, Phil Keaggy, Al Green, Johnny Cash, Alice Cooper, King's X, Galactic Cowboys, Atomic Opera, Gary Cerone of Extreme, Lenny Kravitz, PFR, The Winans, MxPx, Sixpence None The Richer, and others
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Unfortunately most books about Christian bands are by crazy pastors talkin crap...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Unfortunately most books about Christian bands are by crazy pastors talkin crap...

Those books are the most fun!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I guess... Laughing
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Not the one I mentioned. As a matter of fact, after being taught to shun secular music by the guy who led me to Christ, that book helped me to decide to keep listening to non-Christian music.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
I need to write a 1200 word essay for university in a couple of months, and I've been planning to do it on the development of Christian hard rock music and the place it has in the US. Would anyone know any books regarding this topic? That way I can read up well in advance, and choose another subject if there aren't many sources. Thanks in advance!

Didn't know where I should post it, so I just did it. If this is the wrong place... my bad. Very Happy

A phone call to ult would give you more info than a book.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

Ult is a well grounded Christian that can back up what he says and he loves both secular and Christian metal which to me is a big inspiration when so many of the old grumpy preachers are looking down on the music i love and twisting scripture to push their way of thinking. Cheers to ult for that! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

If only universities would accept phone calls as a viable source... Wink

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll try to look into them.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 am

Steve Whitaker of Barren Cross had a book written by his mother, called "The calling of a Rock Star" I read it awhile back and it was a unique perspective on the subject.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 am

Troublezone wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

Ult is a well grounded Christian that can back up what he says and he loves both secular and Christian metal which to me is a big inspiration when so many of the old grumpy preachers are looking down on the music i love and twisting scripture to push their way of thinking. Cheers to ult for that! 🤘

Thanks. Embarassed

I was going to suggest "Calling of a Rock Star" by Beth Whitaker, but it's already been suggested.

I should really write a book.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am

Troublezone wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I guess... Laughing

Any of Bob Larson's anti-Rock books are funnier than the complete works of Dave Barry combined.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I guess... Laughing

Any of Bob Larson's anti-Rock books are funnier than the complete works of Dave Barry combined.

Casting out demons for dollars!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Im surprised a few of the residents here havent written a book on the subject, especially the ones who live it
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:11 am

Quote :

good idea.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

good idea.

I second that motion
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books on Christian (hard) rock   Books on Christian (hard) rock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books on Christian (hard) rock
Page 1 of 1