Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for those of you who grew up with metal

Go down 
+18
powermacho
Cliffy
Lurideath
Thrasher73
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Coma
MetalGuy71
James B.
the sentinel
Schbopo
stepcousin
SAHB Healer
mc666
325ad
tohostudios
manny
bgast1
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
When I entered my teen years that obsessive-compulsive mindset transferred itself to my love of metal. When it came to bands I liked, I wanted to know EVERYTHING about them.

I think this goes for a lot of metal fans because it's a largely underground type of music. You're kind of forced to dig in if you want to find more bands to listen to Smile For me also, in addition to being a geek I've always been interested in history, so whenever I get into something I have to go back and examine the roots of it, find out how everything connects to everything else.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm 41 and in 1980 I entered Junior High.... I really had no exposure to metal/rock until that time. A friend of mine down the street was into KISS but I just couldn't get into it. Sacrilege for some I know.... Yet when Christmas came that year my parents (much to their chagrin later I'm sure) bought for me AC/DC 'Back In Black'....... I had put it on my Christmas list.

My first AC/DC album was 'Let There Be Rock' because it was the cheapest at the Sears album section... I had a paper route that I got paid once a month and would take my check and buy a new AC/DC album that I did not have.... I started to buy Circus, Hit Parader, Creem (not so much).

One thing I did though was I would SIT or LAY down on my bed with my headphones (Those big bulky things) to listen to my Vinyl Albums. I would listen for the buzz of the guitar chords or when the tape would start before the song (Bad Boy Boogie by AC/DC comes to mind).... When I got into Rush I remember listening to Cygnus X-1 reading the lyrics as I listened, with my headphones and I heard so much more.

All the intricacies and subtleties of the music and what the band put on vinyl.... I started to feel cheated if there weren't lyrics or pictures or sometype of 'Reading material' from the band to their fans.... How disappointed I was and thought it was boring was the packaging to AC/DC's 1981 'For Those About to Rock'.... I was excited 'A Gate Fold!!! cool, maybe lyrics or LOTS of pictures.....'... nope... One pic and credits... BORING... but that's where I'd get Circus or Hit Parader....

When it came to AC/DC and Rush my two favorite bands in Junior High and Early high school I knew the members, song order, all the lyrics, in AC/DC's case I also knew which albums were available in multiple versions. I was a nut about all this stuff.

When I started to take my faith seriously I started a back and forth with christian and secular music.... I gotta tell you it was tough. My freshman year of highschool I was so into the RCA and the Columbia House record and tape club.... I got 4 or 5 of my friends to join Columbia House, and I got 3 free albums for each friend!

When I got 'into' the Christian metal scene (such as it was in 1983/84) I started to do the same thing. It was much harder until my friend Dave and I started White Throne. A that point I was immersed in music. totally. At some points I struggled not to make it an Idol y'know....

It's my hobby, Jesus is my life....
Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:00 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
My first AC/DC album was 'Let There Be Rock'

Mine too...in fact, it was my first album ever! 🤘 That album still has a very special place in my heart cuz it started it all for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

Mine too...in fact, it was my first album ever! 🤘 That album still has a very special place in my heart cuz it started it all for me.

My first album I ever owned also happened to be AC/DC, "If You Want Blood You've Got It', AC/DC must have served as the gateway entry to heavy metal for people around our age group.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

I think my first album was Kiss Destroyer followed by Love Gun and then AC/DC's Live Album "If you Want Blood (You've Got It" as a young boy the whole blood thing was fascinating. Kiss sucked many of us in with their marketing because as we matured many of us came to realize they were not very good musicians. They were mostly a gimmick.

My First Live Show or Concert to attend was AC/DC the "For Those About to Rock" Tour in Kansas City.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:50 pm

When I really get into something I go all ocd and want to know everything about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: AC/DC Fans Check Out : Main Line Riders   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 pm

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

My first album I ever owned also happened to be AC/DC, "If You Want Blood You've Got It', AC/DC must have served as the gateway entry to heavy metal for people around our age group.

AC/DC Fans need to check out : Main Line Riders. The new stuff is incredible! www.myspace.com/mainlineriders
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

"Let There Be Rock" was the first album I ever bought... $5.99 at Sears... Back in Black was $10.99 I think... Too rich for my blood back then.... Laughing

Yes MainLine Riders has a very comparable sound to AC/DC.... Read my review...
Click the link at the bottom....

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm

While My answer isnt gonna be metal related, I can tell you that for me, with some bands and artists, i read anything I can on my favs, get their cds, look up stuff on the net to know more, and read bios on them if one is released. Between that, and TV and magazines...
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

"Let There Be Rock" was the first album I ever bought... $5.99 at Sears... Back in Black was $10.99 I think... Too rich for my blood back then.... Laughing

That's almost the same deal as me. I was in 6th grade at the time (1981) and AC/DC were all over the place due to "For Those About To Rock" and the newly-issued (in the U.S. anyway) "Dirty Deeds" being quite popular. I told my family I wanted an AC/DC tape for Christmas that year. My bro got me LET THERE BE ROCK cuz it was cheaper than either of the two I actually requested. Haha. At first I was like "Hey, he got me the wrong one!" but I didn't mind at all after the first play of that tape... 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for those of you who grew up with metal   Question for those of you who grew up with metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for those of you who grew up with metal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: