Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opinions on Electric Wizard?

Go down 
+5
nevermore
SlaytanicPOWER
mc666
sam
MetalGuy71
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Opinions on Electric Wizard? Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 am

Anyone listen to these guys? Amazon keeps pimping them as recommendations for other stuff I've recently purchased. I kinda dig some of the samples I've heard, but I'm not ready to drop some coin on them just yet.

I see that they'e got quite a few albums out? Where's a good place to start? Any albums to avoid? Any opinions, good or bad, are welcome.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 am

Good doom band, Most say dope throne is their best, but I really liked the new one they put out. Extremely slow and heavy, if your a doom fan its good stuff.

The chick in deathcult's avatar is their guitarist. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:03 am

sam wrote:

I think you mean Detuned, but I hear ya. Thanks for the info.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 am

I like the two most recent albums the best (with the new lineup) - Witchcult Today is KILLER, We Live is close to the same quality.

Their early albums were a little TOO doom for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Quote :
a little TOO doom

I didn't think that was possible! Laughing very hard Trog might tell us differently.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 11:35 am

The are quite slow, droning at times, slightly noisy and very heavy....really trippy Doom stuff...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Come My Fanatics is probably my favorite out of the 4 i have.

SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
a little TOO doom

I didn't think that was possible! Laughing very hard Trog might tell us differently.

You can never have enough Doom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Okay, let me re-phrase my comment.

Their earlier albums seemed to be a little more "gimmicky", "let's see how low we can tune and how slow we can play". The more recent albums are tighter, the new lineup are better musicians and there's some actual groove going on.

In fact, if you listen to the song Dunwich from Witchcult Today, it's SO infectious that it will get stuck in your head for hours.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Dopethrone is my favorite. I haven't got picked up their latest releases. I've been meaning to pick up Witchcult Today due to the good things I've heard about it.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Dopethrone is my fave, need to check out some of the newer stuff. Goatsnake is another good band, "What Love Remains" is one of the catchiest doom tunes ever written.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 pm

The drummer has a side-project of Prog/Post Rock called CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX...very cool stuff!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 3:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
sam wrote:

I think you mean Detuned, but I hear ya. Thanks for the info.

whoops, as long as you got the jist of the post. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm

They rule, pick up whatever you can find out of the newer stuff. Witchcult Today is my personal favorite.

And Im in love with that guitarist chick \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Me too. Few things are sexier then a hot chick with a guitar.

Liz Buckingham Pictures, Images and Photos
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 am

sam wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Me too. Few things are sexier then a hot chick with a guitar.

Liz Buckingham Pictures, Images and Photos

I know, Id just marry her outright, given the choice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone listen to these guys? Amazon keeps pimping them as recommendations for other stuff I've recently purchased. I kinda dig some of the samples I've heard, but I'm not ready to drop some coin on them just yet.

I see that they'e got quite a few albums out? Where's a good place to start? Any albums to avoid? Any opinions, good or bad, are welcome.

Wow...that amazon recomendation thing is mad unaccurate on mine....last time I checked they were saying I would like jay z's newest album considering I bought a sacred reich album in the past. scratch
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 6:13 am

I like everything they've done. Awesome band!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 am

I love this tune!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 am

Stender wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wow...that amazon recomendation thing is mad unaccurate on mine....last time I checked they were saying I would like jay z's newest album considering I bought a sacred reich album in the past. scratch

They've threw in a few curve-balls on mine too, but for the most part it's recommended decent stuff.

I saw Electric Wizard's s/t debut (?) at FYE last night for $9.99, but I already had a stack of discs in my hand so I passed. For now. I might go back for it at some point. But the general feeling here seemed to point to their later works so I'll keep an eye out for that stuff.

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Electric Wizard?   Opinions on Electric Wizard? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Electric Wizard?
Page 1 of 1