Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal in Morocco

Go down 
+2
GrandNational
Lurideath
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 am

Just seen this and found it quite interesting. Take a glance!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8127526.stm

BBC News, Rabat

Heavy metal is known as rebel music - and that is particularly true in Morocco.

"Metalheads" have been accused of being devil-worshippers, and even locked up because of their passion.

But Youssef Benseddik, a student who heads the heavy metal group Atmosphere does not seem particularly rebellious.

"Our Moroccan culture is based on Islam, on music that is not noisy, on lyrics that talk about the prophets and Allah," he says.

"If Moroccans listen to metal music, and the screaming of the singer - 'Aaargh' - they think it is not good."

Youssef and his band stress they are good Muslims - they do not take drugs or drink alcohol, and break off rehearsals to pray.

Their songs evoke what they see as terrible injustices all around them - poverty and corruption in Morocco and Africa, and the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.

Youssef's parents are supportive - up to a point.

His mother, Rahma Benseddik, says she does not really understand the music, but she does have one of his songs stored on her mobile phone.

As any proud mother would, she likes to play it to her friends.

Jailed for Satanism

But Youssef's father has concerns about his son's music.

"Of course it's a way to express their personality, but we have to know what they want to do," says Hassan Benseddik, a friendly man with salt and pepper hair and a glint in his eye.

"If it's just to express a freedom, OK.

"But as Muslims, as Moroccans, as an Arabic society, we have certain limits."

Those limits were apparently breached in 2003 when 14 heavy metal fans were accused of Satanism, and imprisoned.

Human rights groups and performers took to the streets, saying the rockers were guilty only of wearing black clothes and singing provocative songs.

Shortly afterwards the 14 were released.

Fears of libertarianism

The incident underlined a common theme in Morocco - different parts of society have widely different ideas about what is culturally acceptable.

Even today some people believe untraditional music and the youth culture it encourages is warping Moroccan values in a dangerous way.

Morocco's moderate Islamist party, the PJD, has criticised music festivals, saying they encourage young people to take drugs and engage in immoral behaviour like sex before marriage.

PJD member Mustapha el-Khalfi says there is also a risk that heavy metal could introduce Satanic behaviour to Morocco.

"Not only Satanism as a 'religion'," he argues.

"But also as a way to give some arguments for young people to be libertarian, to do what they want to do, even if these activities or practices or behaviour are immoral."

Despite the criticism, music festivals are very popular among young people.

Michy Mano, a well-known figure on the Casablanca music scene, says young musicians of all kinds are winning new freedoms for everyone.

"The system has changed a bit, people can speak out a bit louder than they did before," he says.

"There were always people who did that, but there was repression if people spoke about political things.

"But the last 10 years it has been getting more tolerant."

'Positive energy'

All the same, Youssef says he has had to tone down the clothes he wears.

If he puts on all black outfits and pentagram jewellery - as many metalheads throughout the world do - he faces hostility.

But he has no intention of giving up the music he loves.

"We find heavy metal has a positive energy," he explains.

"Even if it is loud and noise we find it very relaxing."

Morocco is an increasingly open society.

But Youssef and other young people are still trying to work out how to be themselves, while staying true to Moroccan values.
Back to top Go down

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:27 am

Things like this are always interesting to read...it's a shame that bands & fans like this are singled out so drastically.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 11:38 am

This is the same story in ever single repressive Islamic country. Really sad that in the 21stC, this kind of non-sense is still around.

........Islam is the locus of evil in the contemporary world.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah I agree these stories are fun to read. You get to see a different perspective in other countries aside from ours.

I also agree Islam is the locust in the world to a point when it comes to this type of stuff. Its way worse than the PMRC and the Salem Witch Trials because they are being put in jail and sometimes executed for it, because to them it represents Satanism.

It sucks too because there are some killer bands from these countries.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:19 pm

GrandNational wrote:
This is the same story in ever single repressive Islamic country. Really sad that in the 21stC, this kind of non-sense is still around.

........Islam is the locus of evil in the contemporary world.

agree 100%

Watch a movie called 'The vice guide to travel', it will give you a completly new view of stuff like this and the world ouside of America.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Sheesh, and those of us who were around in the '80s thought the P.M.R.C. was bad news...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Yeah I agree these stories are fun to read. You get to see a different perspective in other countries aside from ours.

I also agree Islam is the locust in the world to a point when it comes to this type of stuff. Its way worse than the PMRC and the Salem Witch Trials because they are being put in jail and sometimes executed for it, because to them it represents Satanism.

It sucks too because there are some killer bands from these countries.

Yup, there are some killer bands from the Middle/Near East that have to struggle in ways that bands in the West don't have to worry about. The PMRC and misguided Christian conservative groups have nothing on the craziness that is the oppression of Islam when it comes to Metal. Maybe black metal bands should start to focus on anti-Islamic rhetoric because according to some statistics, Europe will be Muslim nation by the year 2050. Very scary thought.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Comparing the PMRC to Islam is like comparing a flyswatter to an atomic bomb.
Back to top Go down

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Every religion has the potential to become too radical and dangerous in the wrong hands.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Sheesh, and those of us who were around in the '80s thought the P.M.R.C. was bad news...

Quoted for truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 am

My psuedo-brother is Morroccan. His father was the Minister of Energy over there and his uncles are ambassadors in various countries. He has given me alot of insight into Islamic governments. Morrocco and Turkey are as pretty close to secular/Western as there is. This band still has big balls to be going up against everything though. I kind of envision them being the Black Flag of their time/place. Kudos to them!!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:44 pm

detuned wrote:
Every religion has the potential to become too radical and dangerous in the wrong hands.

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal in Morocco Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal in Morocco   Metal in Morocco Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal in Morocco
Page 1 of 1